I tried this footpeg idea...it didn't work, any advice?

I'd like to get some leg room when I'm out on the highway. I tried this idea posted on this forum:

Long story short, it didn't work. I even bought the highway pegs that were specifically made to fit 7/8" bars (and they were not easy to find). The crash bars must be very skinny, even skinnier than 7/8". Even with using pieces of rubber in between the bar and the mount, I could not get it to tighten enough. No matter how hard I cranked down on that mounting bolt, the highway pegs were loose enough that they would pivot downwards with a little bit of pressure. Again, the problem is that the crash bar that I'm mounting to (as per the instructions in the post) is very skinny, which prohibits me from getting the mount tight enough not to move.

I really do not want to spend $300+ on the highway blades, and I don't even know if they are still in business. Call me crazy, but the lack of the ability to put my legs up really bothers me. In fact it bothers me enough that I am thinking of selling it and getting a different bike.

Has anyone else mounted the "standard" highway pegs on their bikes? I've seen a post where a guy was a metal worker and machined his own mount...I can't do that.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Great idea!!! Which pegs did you get? Link?
Just troubleshooting was little off. Don't use rubber as shims.

1. Use one of these calipers to determine exact size of crash bars and peg clamp.
1712448819586.png

2. Once thickness range of required shim has been calculated (measure peg clamp twice, barely-clamped and fully-clamped, average results). Subtract crash-bar diameter from this and divide by 2. Get metal shims of correct thickness. Something like these (sample only, get proper thickness for your particular application). Might need to split and reform curvature on some to fit.

Wald - 1/32" 0.8mm shim
Amazon - 1/16" 1.6mm shims
TiCycles - 1.9mm shims
Cane Creek - 2.3mm shims
Wheels Mfg - 2.9mm shims
AliExpress - 3.2mm shims
JensenUSA - 4.8mm shims
1712445770549.png
Commonly used on bicycles and motos to adapt different size handlebars or seatposts.

Last edited:

PhotoDoctor

Tampa Mike
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100/ST1300/Norton
I've added Emgo pegs to both my 1100 & st1300. It works for me. I'll try and search the site as I made a post with a few photos when I did the ST1100.

You guys have got to get a lathe, I made my own mounts by boring the center of a bar of aluminum split in half and mounted the pegs to that. Worked great for a trip to the East coast. Also made a lot of seal drivers, stand offs and a whole bunch of toys.
Made risers for the mirrors on my ZRX. Lift spools for the rear swing arm on the ZRX too. Had a bolt break off on a timing cover and was able to machine a sleeve to drill the first hole straight through bolt in a aluminum cover.
You can get a small lathe (bench top) for cheap from Grizzly and for many jobs that is big enough. With my mini lathe I have drilled a hole length wise in a 1/8 inch welding rod, only got about a half inch deep though. Made bronze bushing for my clutch levers so I did not have to wait while the new ones showed up.
The possibilities are endless, and you don't have to be a crazy perfect machinist to operate them either.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Sometimes just buying is best, here are a few of my tries, settled on the PSR, perfect for me.

Unsafe in the twistys
IMG_2567.jpeg
Machine shop
64039238911__0787B440-C4E8-4325-8F14-7A5D07F967D8.jpeg
64107877878__C878CB35-EAAA-407B-9FCD-6F4197A0E202.jpeg
Worked the best, looks like T-Rex arms
IMG_1373.jpeg
Didn't survive the shake out ride.
IMG_3397.jpeg

PSR mounted upside down (left on right...)
IMG_3632.jpeg

Good luck, you'll settle on something perfect for you.

Having looked at PSR and MCL i aware that its still not a perfect solution. I did take one owners idea and bolted a angle plate onto the tip bar this allowed you to rest your legs on the tip bars. This worked great untill the bike heated up and i nearly burnt my leg. One idea i was toying with was to put the peg much further forward however mounting would be tricky and would require either a plate on the front of the engine or extensions from the tip bars. If it were tip bar extensions then it could be a flat metal plate held by the tip bar bolts under the fairing with a side hole drilled or on the external under the cowl which might look bad. Another issue is due to the fairing your legs have to spread outwards this means the further away from the tip bars you get the wider the fold out bars need to be. in theory you could make metal plate that is hinged the bottom is mounted on the tipover bars the top folds up against the cover to use you fold them out and rest you legs on them but im not sure if the engine heat would be an issue

Last edited:
The psr looks really good due to the shape. now i just need someone to draw round the psr blade and upload a A4 and i will know what shape to cut a steel bar to match. Heres hoping. There was a guy dylan on here who started making MCL type spare blades $100 for 2 so i thought the kits would be around $200 then he priced them at $385 yet PSR are $350 so no idea why he priced his more. For that price i would just buy PSR

Paper size. If someone drew round a PSR blade onto a A4 piece of paper and uploaded it when i print it it would be the same size. I like the look of the pSR hook it looks better then the MCL shape

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Paper size. If someone drew round a PSR blade onto a A4 piece of paper and uploaded it when i print it it would be the same size. I like the look of the pSR hook it looks better then the MCL shape
I have PSRs on my 1100. I'm the one who lent them to Dylan, and just recently put them back on.

I don't know if the 1100 and 1300 use the same blade, but I'd be happy to make patterns for you.

I have PSRs on my 1100. I'm the one who lent them to Dylan, and just recently put them back on.

I don't know if the 1100 and 1300 use the same blade, but I'd be happy to make patterns for you.
Thank you for that the blades are a different shape for the st100. But i really appreciate the offer

Top Bottom