Igofar Reviews

Bike
2007 ST1300
It's about time I posted on Larry's review page and publicly extend my thanks to him for all the help he's given me. Last summer I posted a question about uneven front tire wear and Larry reached out by phone to give me instruction on checking how the axel fits into the forks and how to be sure there was no binding. More recently I experienced the dreaded FI code 25 knock sensor error. I ended up pulling my throttle body to replace the engine sub-wire harness. Larry helped guide me in so many ways. I suffered a broken screw while removing the air cleaner housing and he talked me through the process of removing the broken screw. I ended up replacing the thermostat, most of the hoses and clamps, some rusty motor mount parts, exhaust gaskets, O-rings, and a few other things. I spoke to Larry frequently and he coached me through the stuff I wasn't sure about. He is a tremendous resource for those of us here. Thank you, Larry!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi All,

I have a new to me 2006 ST1300. I discovered that the SMC was absolutely seized. Larry was very helpful. He took several calls from me offering advice and lessons learned. He always took my call and never made me feel like I was bothering him. His ST1300 knowledge is extensive. He seems to love helping people. Give him a call if your stuck.

Thanks Larry!!!

My 2005 ST1300 was leaking coolant out the round inspection hole. When I checked the Honda service manual it indicated that fluid from there meant there was a bad mechanical seal and that I would need to replace it along with the water pump and a couple of other parts. Larry said he had only seen 3 pump failures and he had me run a 'pipe cleaner through the hole. I'm not sure what was blocked and pooling up there that was leaking, but I've started the bike up 4 times and let it get up to operating temp and I haven't seen a single drop of fluid. Thanks for the huge money and time saving solution Larry!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Often a leak coming from the square opening, or lower radiator hose will blow back and the round hole will catch it, appearing to be leaking.
I just had him verify that it was not a constant drip as in a failed mechanical seal etc.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I must caution all of you who frequent this forum; be very careful about calling Larry. He might just call you to see if you followed through on his advice:biggrin:!! I had this very awesome privilege. I had already called and been given the low down on how to make the clutch slave replacement a much less painful ordeal and so when Larry saw my post about not having a firm lever when done, I received a follow up call with more tech assist. So, if you need help and the :WCP1: number has been offered. CALL!! You will not be disappointed. If the whisperer calls you, you better answer too.
Thank you for all the help Larry.

just back from a 6,300 mile tour of 20 states visiting family and friends. About 100 miles into it I would get what sounded like a bearing squall when I'd hit a bump then it would go away after hitting the next bump. If you've ever heard what a water pump squall sounds like that is the noise.... then it stayed continuously.... I'm thinking CRAP!! I'm going to have to turn around and head for home... pulled over at Raton, NM to call Larry, just as I'm explaining it all I see the culprit!! axle bolt loose.... sent pics to Larry and he talked me through the 22mm wrench and 6mm allen....
headed for an O'Riely's and they loaned me the tools... 10 minutes and I'm back on the road. Larry's calm reassurances and explanations ea sed my stress and saved the trip.
You are the MAN....... Thank You LARRY!!
- Mike Baird 20230601_131820.jpg

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
This is my ode to @Igofar:

My SMC was failing (again), so I sent Larry a DM and requested a consultation on the White Courtesy Phone. Because I figured that so many people were reaching out to him, I thought that I’d need to schedule a time to speak with him. Not so. He called me the very next day and we spoke for 2.5 hours! Amazing! What’s more, he offered to walk me through a variety of procedures over the phone for an extremely reasonable price (wink, wink, nod, nod). What a remarkable commitment to someone he had never met in person!

After the call was over, I wasn’t sure if my experience with the guy on the other end of the White Courtesy Phone was a mistake or a blessing. I had owned my ST for a while, put nearly 60,000 miles on it, and done quite a bit of work on it myself, I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about the bike. Larry quickly, but nicely, disabused me of that notion. My level of ignorance was astonishing and I was concerned. Larry’s immense knowledge was immediately apparent, and I was humbled.

I was also quite despondent over the poor condition of my bike. The vast majority of the initial call was taken up by Larry telling me all things that were wrong with my ST. His “list” went something like this:

Clutch lever bushing was worn & boot torn
Forks were misaligned
Rear brake caliper bracket was damaged
Rear Brake Fluid Reservoir was damaged (it was amber-colored)
Wrong Brake Pads (EBC)
Wrong oil (Shell Rotella T6 because it is no longer S rated)
Performing oil changes incorrectly (not pulling in the clutch lever)
Didn’t have a magnetic oil drain plug
Hadn’t cleaned the bobbins on my front rotors
Fuel mileage less than 52 MPG (throttle body was not synced properly)
Counterbalancers were out of adjustment
The rear shock pre-load needed to be serviced
Missing rubber washers on the front fender
Bearings in the final driven flange needed to be replaced
Didn’t bleed the clutch line correctly after replacing the CSC
Not replacing the 2nd O-ring on the rear wheel underneath the final driven flange with each rear tire change,
Didn’t need to remove the throttle body to replace the O-rings for the cylinder head water pipe joints (although I did get points for replacing the fuel joint tube and correctly tightening the bands around the insulator boots), and I
Should replace the front axle pinch bolts with the type used on the Police bikes.

Nevertheless, he promised that if I followed his directions, he would help me correct all the deficiencies. While I professed my willingness to follow his tuition, I doubted whether I could do everything he expected. Despite my trepidation and because everything he discussed was explained to me in relatively simple and understandable terms, I decided to go through with it. Of course, it didn’t end up being that easy…that’s a story (or several stories) for another day.

Over the next couple of months, Larry made sure that I ordered all the necessary parts to fix my ST and that I had all the required tools. One tool I would have to make on my own. It was great having a second set of “eyes” look over my vast parts lists and a tremendous resource to answer my numerous questions.

Thus far, Larry has spent nearly 12 hours on the phone with me. Every time we spoke, he was gracious, patient, supportive, and very engaging. Larry has a great sense of humor and knows how to play a number of interesting songs on his guitar. Bleeding your brakes while he plays his guitar is quite an experience! I highly recommend it.

As I mentioned earlier, not everything I needed to do went off without a hitch. Each time I encounters a roadblock, I called Larry on the White Courtesy Phone. Virtually every time, he cheerfully answered my call, immediately stopped what he was doing, and spent time (sometimes an hour or more) helping me work through the problems. Larry has the patience of Job. Never once was he curt, short, terse, angry, or condescending despite my level of ignorance.

With Larry’s guidance, I have:

Rebuilt all three brake calipers;
Replaced the SMC
Replaced the lower steering stem, top bridge, and steering bearings (due to a broken pinch bolt);
Aligned the forks;
Replace the front wheel bearings; and
Successfully got all the air out of my brake system.

There was a time when I thought I’d never get all the air completely purged. Even my air bubbles had air bubbles! However, Larry is just that good folks. He can deftly instruct even an ignoramus like me from two time zones away!

In reality, I simply lack the vocabulary to adequately express my gratitude to Larry. I also sincerely appreciate his further commitment to help me with the throttle body sync, counterbalance adjustment, etc. in the future. As another member said: “Larry is both a World Class ST Whisperer AND a Great Guy.” He’s also a guru, instructor, and excellent mentor. Larry has even inspired me to help others with my newfound knowledge.

Saying “Thanks” just doesn't seem sufficient, but it’s the best I can do for now. If you need help, please do not hesitate to contact Larry via the White Courtesy Phone. You won’t regret it! Thanks again, Larry!

-Chris Welch

(P.S. I regret that I was not able to contribute to Larry's tip jar. After much pleading, however, Larry relented and permitted me to send him a small token of my appreciation. Larry is also a very generous person.)

(P.S.S. If anyone would like the details on the journey I took with Larry or pictures of the carnage, I will gladly share the details upon request.)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
(P.S.S. If anyone would like the details on the journey I took with Larry or pictures of the carnage, I will gladly share the details upon request.)
Sure!
Start another maintenance thread of your own where you can detail it. We all benefit from the experiences of others, be they good or bad.

Bike
'09 ST1300A
I once again have a '09 ST1300A that I can ride with confidence.

The wheels now rotate freely thanks to @Igofar. After Larry took the time to talk me through the problem and the solution I was able to order and replace parts myself. Larry's trust in my ability to carry this out was a huge boost to my confidence. Although there is more work to be done (Larry is VERY thorough) the ST1300 is back in service.

Larry's expertise and willingness to help is an amazing asset to the ST1300 community.

Thanks Larry. I will pay this forward as you requested.

Bike
2005 ST1300
If wasn't for Larry...bike would be for sale now. From my last post about a dragging rear brake...
Finally sharing an update...been off the bike/not made the time to wrap it up.. Very fortunate to get through to Larry (Igofar) on the white courtesy phone (which now has live acoustical guitar music while u wait) couple days ago, whom walked me successfully through the process, despite my best efforts. My commute to work is 50 miles one way and today was first time riding since Larry guided me through the process. Guessing it will take couple hundred miles for the new brake pads to properly seat, back tire spins more freely (2 complete revolutions), rear disk is almost cool to the touch like front disks, fuel economy seems better judged by the instant mpg display and bike rolls backwards much easier when in neutral. Best of all, slightest pull on the front brake level and the bike slows down like a tractor beam from the Enterprise just locked on. BIG SHOUT OUT to Larry. Few know this bike as well as him and even fewer can give directions over the phone on how to troubleshoot such a finicky system. To all who shared their ideas and suggestions--thank you as well. It confirmed others have wrestled with this system and found success

Quote Reply

Had a problem with a slipping clutch on my 08 1300. Larry was super helpful in getting it resolved. Given the low mileage of 36k, we started with the most likely culprits, replaced the slave cylinder and rebuilt the master but unfortunately the bike needed a new clutch. Got all that done with Larry's expert guidance and now the bike is running tip top again.

For those wondering how an ST burned through a clutch at 36k, let me fill you in. I bought the bike with 8k miles on it in 2015. I have a lot of years experience - I don't ride the clutch or use it to hold on hills, I don't powershift or any other type of abuse. Unless the previous owner burned the life out of it (unlikely, he was an older dude who took care of his stuff) then a very, very likely cause (according to Larry) is oil. I'd been using Rotella T6 for years. I'm sure you've all read the most recent discussion about this very topic.

Not trying to start an oil war. if you do or don't agree, that's fine.

Cheers

Bike
2007 ST1300
Larry is one of those rare people you are lucky to meet; the kind that not only has vast knowledge but also the patience and energy to spend time sharing it with others. I have only had my ST for 2 weeks and just registered on this forum 7 days ago, yet Larry has been kind enough to spend his time teaching this complete noob how to get my bike sorted out. To make a long story short, we spoke for a couple hours and formulated a plan to get my SMC and brakes fixed. I had no clue there was anything wrong with the SMC, originally thought that all I needed to do was have new pads installed, nope. Glad I talked to him when I did, because I was about to make a mistake. Thanks again Larry, I'm looking forward to revitalizing my bike with your generous help!

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
This review is to thank Larry for amazing help with a problem I had up in Wisconsin recently. My clutch line blew and because I live on my bike I was stranded in a campground. I called Larry to see what his take was on the clutch line as I had read other post that I would have to basically pull the bike apart to get to it. Larry disagreed and gave me some advice. With pretty rudimentary tools, patient and finesse, I completed it in 5 hrs. This was after Larry had reach out to Jon , another RAN person who then drove 3 1/2 hrs to help me patch it, which unfortunately did not hold, and then to James, at Tabby Lane, who had a clutch line and sent it to me. Larry really bent over backwards to help me get back on the road. Thank you Larry!

This review is to thank Larry for amazing help with a problem I had up in Wisconsin recently. My clutch line blew and because I live on my bike I was stranded in a campground. I called Larry to see what his take was on the clutch line as I had read other post that I would have to basically pull the bike apart to get to it. Larry disagreed and gave me some advice. With pretty rudimentary tools, patient and finesse, I completed it in 5 hrs. This was after Larry had reach out to Jon , another RAN person who then drove 3 1/2 hrs to help me patch it, which unfortunately did not hold, and then to James, at Tabby Lane, who had a clutch line and sent it to me. Larry really bent over backwards to help me get back on the road. Thank you Larry!
yes, LARRY IS THE MAN!!!
his knowledge and willingness to help are AMAZING!!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I had wanted to meet Larry in person, ever since he talked me and walked me through replacing my SMC on my new-to-me 2008 ST1300 four years ago.
Finally got the chance when I flew to CA and rode back home on my new-used R1250 GS Adventure early November.
The rear dual sport tire wouldn't hold air, so we (he) removed it and we put a new tire on I had with me. He then inspected the front as well, and that one seemed a wild card to get me back to Alabama, so after he dropped me at a local hotel, holding the GSA for ransom unbeknownst to me, he swapped that one out too.
I had a no-tire-worry-free ride nearly 2000mi home.
His wife Christy told him no lifting after his spinal surgery, but he is somewhat stubborn when he feels something needs to be done.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet any of his pet rattlesnakes, but he does have other, more tame, specimens to play with.
Imagine having to change a rotten tire on the side of the interstate in the middle of the night, alone, and with no tools...
Larry saved me from all that.
He is one of the crown jewels in this esteemed community and treasure trove of ST knowledge and experience.

I wanted to express publicly how much I appreciated Larry's help on sorting out my ST 1300's brakes. The rear brake started dragging after having the rear tire changed at a dealer's shop. They were going to charge me an unreasonable amount of money to correct the issue. I didn't feel confident doing the work myself as I didn't want to mess up any more parts on the ST's complex brake system nor do it incorrectly and put myself in danger from doing something wrong. I posted on the forum my brake issues and Larry contacted me directly and offered his help. He assured me he could talk me through the process to make the necessary repairs. This gave me the confidence to attempt the repairs. He walked me through some tests to do on the bike to figure out what I needed to repair. He gave me a list of parts that I needed to order and once they came in, he made himself available multiple times and talked me through each step of the process of replacing my rear caliper, rear brake pads, rear flange bearings, SMC, front brake pads, and lubricate and torque everything correctly. After which be talked me through the intensive brake bleeding procedure. I was finally able to ride my bike again safely yesterday. Yeah!!! I am sure I have inadvertently left some of the things he helped me check and/or fix off of this list, but I wanted to express my sincere appreciation for all of Larry's help and assistance. He is extremely knowledgeable about the ST and very gracious in sharing that knowledge to help others. Thank you Larry!!!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
What is even more impressive, to me, is that he can talk us through it over the phone without even laying eyes on the bike. He just knows it that well, including every nut, spring and circlip, and how they are all supposed to fit together and how they function.
This is more than skill and experience... Larry elevates ST whispering to an art form.

SkitzyMcGee

Mechanical Mastermind
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
In order to understand how grateful I am to Larry (IGoFar), I need you to understand where I was coming from at the time. So buckle up.-
(Your helmet, not your seatbelt)

To make along story short, I rode my Non-ABS 2005 ST1300 pretty hard and burnt out the clutch on some back roads requiring my bike to be trailered home.
Now back at home, with the clutch fragged, the bike became my “Garage Queen”, and like any garage Queen, she always needed a little something more. I upgraded the front turn signal lenses to optically clear lenses, replaced all my lights with LED’s and generally pampered her with maintenance items I felt were overdue.

Now this is where my mistake comes in.-

I said to myself “I want this bike to be in tip-top shape once my clutch is fixed, so I’ll work on the brakes too! What could go wrong?”

To be clear, I've repaired the braking systems on at least 5 different motorcycles of various years/manufacturers. Unfortunately/fortunately NONE of those used linked braking systems, so the ST's brakes would be a first for me.

Initially, I thought my efforts were proceeding nicely, but by November 23rd of 2023 I had spent over $200 on various OEM and Non-OEM brake parts and was about 15 man-hours into the project with no clear end in sight. After constant issues with the wheels not spinning on the center stand (at all) and losing brake pressure quickly (and overnight), the hankering to ride slowly wore my patience thin. In my bout of desperation, I went to the Mecca of ST1300s/ST1100s… ST-Owners.com (You may be familiar with it.)

I made my first ST-Owner forum post around 6:00 PM on November 23rd titled “All brakes dragging”; And to be completely frank, I expected to be presented with a few avenues I had already tried, and then to have my post fade into the endless obscurity of the internet with no resolution. I honestly thought I would have to sell my ST1300 to get a bike that I could actually understand and maintain, which kind of killed me on the inside…(Yes, I do have a knack for catastrophizing)

That was until about 40 minutes later, when a certain username that I had seen posting all over the forum responded to my post... All they said was-

“Standing by the white courtesy phone.”

Well Larry, with an introduction like that, you're going to pique anyone's curiosity…

A short time later, Larry (IGoFar) sent me a DM asking for my contact information and telling me to look at his reviews on the forum.
(I didn’t need to look at the reviews, as his reputation preceded him, but for his sake, I took a look at them)

“Al Gully” who is another member of the forum also DM’ed me to “Call IGoFar!”. I must say, Al Gully, you were right.

The day after that I was able to get on the phone with Larry, and I found him to be extraordinarily knowledgeable, not only when it comes to STs but regarding all motorcycles. It became quickly evident that I was dealing with an old pro, someone with knowledge and experience built up over 60 years inside and outside of the industry. Over the phone, he pointed out issues on my bike that I had never even noticed before, things he couldn’t possibly have known about my bike specifically, as he was over 2000 miles away and I hadn’t sent him any pictures of it yet! He was so casually familiar with the machine, that he was walking me through my own bike over the phone! All the while, he strummed his guitar for some lovely background music while I was working in the garage. To put it simply, he's a gem.

So with all that out of the way, “What was wrong with my brakes?” Here goes-

1. For starters, it turns out that my rebuilding of my SMC with a $80 rebuild kit was doomed to fail from the start. If you look on the forum for 5 seconds you’ll see that this is an incredibly common issue. DO NOT REBUILD THE SMC. I was like you once, I thought I was special and wouldn’t need to purchase a full new SMC Assembly, that I could clean it with guitar strings or an ultrasonic cleaner. I was wrong. The SMC has too many small passageways and filters inside of it to be cleaned properly once it has been left alone for a couple of years. If you bleed the brake system once a year, you should never have any issue with the SMC, but as any owner of a second-hand ST1300 knows- “Nobody does that.”
  2. My rear caliper sub-assembly mounting bracket had rifling cut into it by the large stopper plug that it mates with, this was due to improper re-installation of the rear wheel. (Specifically, the issue was the order in which I had torqued the stopper plug and rear axle. The stopper plug gets tightened BEFORE the rear axel! This is important!)
  3. Secondly, the EBC brake pads that I purchased to save a few bucks, were a bad idea. It is my understanding (though Larry might correct me below) that these pads are VERY SLIGHTLY thicker compared to OEM Honda brake pads, causing the brake pads to drag on your rotor (Even if everything else in the system is correct!)
  4. My Rear wheel flange bearings (2 ea. 91052-KZ4-J21) were completely shot, causing them to drag on the axle and get hot as hell.
  5. I incorrectly applied silicone grease to the brake pad retaining slide pins and pad springs, which are supposed to be CLEAN AND DRY.
  6. My rear wheels cush drive (Rear wheel dampers 06410-MCS-G00) were also toast after ~60,000 miles, so that got replaced too.
  7. Various O-rings in the rear wheel needed to be replaced.
  8. Attempting to use a hand-activated vacuum bleeder pump on the ST1300’s brakes is also doomed to failure. Get the Motion Pro brake bleeder tool on Amazon, it’s only $15 or so. The ST1300s linked brakes has many small valves and cavities in the system, this causes the vacuum bleeders to foam up the brake fluid rather than sending it through the lines properly. (The tool also works great for other bikes.
  9. My brake pads were not properly inserted into the calipers, causing them to not be flush with the rotor.
  10. My caliper nipple bleed order of operations was also incorrect, which Larry kindly walked me through. (The correct order is documented in jfheaths Brake Maintenance PDF.)
  11. After a proper bleeding procedure is done, pushing the pistons of all calipers in with a flathead screwdriver, then leaving a string tied on the front brake lever and a weight on the rear brake pedal overnight can also help to coax out the last air bubbles behind the pistons.

There are too many things to list that Larry had me check, to make sure everything is functioning and It's difficult to lay the blame on one issue in particular, especially when you are changing so many parts on a bike in quick succession. However, I think in this instance it's quite easy…

My biggest issue was that I didn’t call Larry from the start!

After countless hours of over-the-phone and on forum assistance, Larry has provided me with not only the knowledge to complete this brake job once, but to do it again on my own, to assist others with their bikes, and to understand the machine I am trusting my life to, and he did all of it with good humor and style.

I'm a pretty jaded guy myself, but he made me appreciate the comradery of this forum, of motorcycling, and how helping someone in need is a reward all its own.

Thank you Larry!

Last edited:
Top Bottom