Igofar Reviews

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hats off to Larry! Bravo!!

Jean-Michel, please follow-up with that shop that misdiagnosed the problem. A good shop will welcome the info so the techs can learn something to better serve their customers. JMO of course.

Regards, John :STOC: Ten Fifty-Eight

posted with my iPhone 4S

Bike
2003 GL1800A
Yikes . before reading this threat I'd just left word for Larry with a ... queSTion. .. didn't know about any dental work on today's To-Doing list .. I will however give a big .. '+!' on the happy campers evaluation of his willingness to assist .. any and all of us along the way. Happy for his friendship.

Bike
2007 ST1300A
I sure hope to meet him someday. I missed the gathering he had earlier this past summer, and definitely wanted to see if I would be welcome. My schedule however prevented me from even asking. I think I'm the only ST owner by Sacramento(I know I'm not just seems like it). Anyway, awesome person you must be Larry! Hope all went well with the surgery!

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Jean-Michel, please follow-up with that shop that misdiagnosed the problem. A good shop will welcome the info so the techs can learn something to better serve their customers. JMO of course.
+1

Bad driven flange bearings are a fairly common problem on this bike but because shops rarely see this bike, they are probably unaware of the issue. I'm glad you didn't have the clutch changed out, and yet, I'm wondering how they would have handled the situation of going through the work only to find out that it didn't resolve the problem???

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
I sure hope to meet him someday. I missed the gathering he had earlier this past summer, and definitely wanted to see if I would be welcome. My schedule however prevented me from even asking. I think I'm the only ST owner by Sacramento(I know I'm not just seems like it). Anyway, awesome person you must be Larry! Hope all went well with the surgery!
I'm in Fairfield ;)

Way to go Larry! Hopefully the bank that holds your Karma account is well guarded... That account is getting pretty large :D

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although I've never met Larry, I have benefited from his posts, especially the oil testing he's done for us. Definitely a stand up kinda guy. Hope the dental surgery went well!!

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
As stated, Larry is by far, the most giving, knowledgeable, and caring maintenance guru I know of. I've seen his skills in action and only wish I could be as competent as he is...
A true gentleman whose dedication to helping others is worth emulating! The east coast has no clue what they are missing.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
By all indications, M.O.M. is the least ST-O can do! :superman: And OP, very good that you made folks aware of the superb example among us.
He's already been a MOTM. That award is only given once. Glad to see Larry is still showing what got him that award in the first place.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm another who can attest first hand to Larry's willingness to help and go the extra mile. That doesn't end with the maintenance of the bike, though he's literally gone extra miles to help a rider out and this wouldn't be the first time.

At least he'll get/got some rest in the dentist's chair.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
A true gentleman whose dedication to helping others is worth emulating! The east coast has no clue what they are missing.
I certainly applaud the help that Larry has given our West coast members and don't mean to belittle it at all but I know of one East coast member that helps as much or more but simply prefers to stay in the background.

Thanks to all of the many who go out of their way to help their fellow riders...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I certainly applaud the help that Larry has given our West coast members and don't mean to belittle it at all but I know of one East coast member that helps as much or more but simply prefers to stay in the background.

Thanks to all of the many who go out of their way to help their fellow riders...
+1, there are many on the site that are very helpful which is just another great part of this community.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

Well said ...

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
+1

Bad driven flange bearings are a fairly common problem on this bike but because shops rarely see this bike, they are probably unaware of the issue. I'm glad you didn't have the clutch changed out, and yet, I'm wondering how they would have handled the situation of going through the work only to find out that it didn't resolve the problem???
Fairly common issue on VTXs....you'd think they would have some experience with those.......and WTG Larry!

Paul Drobny

MisterZoot
Bike
ST1300
As you'll remember, I've been working my way through my 1300 doing a 50000 mile discovery/service, since I bought the bike with that many miles on it (for a steal, IMHO, though your mileage may vary). I've got about 60,000 on it now, and Larry Igofar has been helping me
1) Learn the bike, its structure and features
2) Guiding me, training me and enlightening me on a range of obvious to subtle conditions the bike has (had)
3) Making my 2005 long distance road worthy so I can kick around some of the backroads in this land of ours with confidence
You can look at the old posts by searching on my user name Paul Drobny to see the truth and look at Larry's wall of shame to get an idea of what shape the bike was in. In a nutshell as of the last service, Larry had the engine running and idling nicely, breathing properly and getting good fuel mileage. He also had cleaned and bled the brake, clutch and suspension hydraulics. I've got brand new front pads, determined the rear pads have plenty of play left in them. We've got the suspension adjusted to my body and preferences, fixed the detent on the preload adjustor, replaced the many missing pieces, including a sack full of push rivets, screws, gaskets, bushings, etc. Along the way we straightened out bad bulbs, cleaned up a pesky oil leak (that was the original reason I sought Larry's assistance, actually), made the bags harware work correctly for ease of use and smooth transition, changed crankcase oil, and differential fluids, and cleaned up everything within the tupperware we had open.

Remaining Item: Replace the stuck open thermostat, flush & replace the coolant. I had the thermostat when I went over there in early January, along with a gasket. This was also to be my lesson in removing the tupperware completely from the bike. While we were in there, we examined, cleaned, and dried everything and I had a good look at where the engine placement of everything is. We flushed the radiator, and replaced all of the missing clips and bolts which over the course of the previous owner's work were many. He noticed that the
mirrors were put on improperly, and showed me how to tuck away all the rubber stuff. Both crash bars were bent, and we replaced those and the bar covers while it was all apart. It took all of about 3 hours. In his thorough and I might say comical manner, he walked me through it and generously offered the parts he had that I needed. In return I either brought with me what we knew needed replacement or I drop shipped him anything he "fronted" me. Not only did I have have fun through this whole process, I enjoyed his mechanical insight, his dry sense of humor and cycle design insights. Igofar has so much experience to fall back on, its truly phenomenal what he grasps and senses could be associated with the path we followed.

I don't know how much experience you've had with finding mechanics and fixing issues, but in my too many to even characterize, I've never found anyone like Larry. He not only lets you past the "insurance line" that nearly all commercial shops have, he actually revels in teaching you about your machine and shares his insights so you can be an integral part of your motorcycle owner/operator's experience. I'm really not a bad mechanic myself .. I've been doing it since I was a boy, but I'm humbled by Larry's skills, patience and attitude. I actually look forward to going over there! For those of you in California, we are lucky to have this guy within riding distance of us. SoCa guys, I recommend ignoring the trip-ometer readings, just get on and head out. NorCal guys like me, no issue. I quit looking around Sacramento and the Bay Area .. Larry's in my "backyard".

:bow1: Thanks a million Larry, you've restored my faith in mechanics everywhere, and even my fellow man. There are definitely good people out there that are great with a 'cycle, and you're in the front of that group! Even more generally, the fact that this forum draws people like Larry and all those of you that have helped me get my ST1300 firmly under my skin, is a gratifying experience. Thank you all!

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Very well said. Yes, Larry is most helpful and I'm very grateful for his phone assistance with my brakes, which the shop got all wrong. I am now confident in dealing with my brakes. He is a great guy!

Bike
ST and K1600
Also can't say enough great things about Igofar.. been taking my two bikes to him for over 3 years now.. went today for an oil and tire change.. he showed me how to inspect wheel bearings, axels and brake assembly.. he went the extra mile using the air compressor to blow out all the old dust in the calipers.. he treats your bike even better than he treats his own.. every nut, bolt, clamp are carefully removed and re-assembled.. mufflers are placed onto pads to keep the scratches away.. I'm careful with my bike, Igofar is insanely careful.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I also had a great experience over the phone with him when I was bleeding my brakes for the first time. He sure is a encyclopedia of knowledge.
Also, I have my motion pro bleeder in plain sight in my garage as a reminder that, It's really nice to see how easy it is to do when you have the correct tools. The only thing bad about the motion pro bleeder is, I miss my wife now when I'm bleeding my brakes.:roll:

Top Bottom