Igofar Reviews

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'm curious what Larry's shop rate is??
He has a Tip jar and a bell. You get to ring the bell when he says you can....and then you stuff his jar with as much cash as you can muster. He will not quote you a price. Just think of what a less knowledgable dealer would charge to do all the little extras that he does.....if they even knew how. It is a great deal no matter what...!!! The knowledge is just incredible......
He makes your bike better than new...
Just my experience...
ToddC

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
I greatly appreciate the work Larry has done for me and, more so, the friendship that has developed as a result. Anyone considering a visit, no matter how far, will not be disappointed both in the work and the man.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
He has a Tip jar and a bell. You get to ring the bell when he says you can....and then you stuff his jar with as much cash as you can muster. He will not quote you a price. Just think of what a less knowledgeable dealer would charge to do all the little extras that he does.....if they even knew how.
Exactly. My Swiss dealer, who I think is "pretty good" as far as Honda dealer mechanics are concerned, charges over $100 an hour. Larry is twice as productive and ten times more knowledgeable. I fill the tip jar accordingly.

Michael

So I recently finished a coast to coast Iron Butt ride and had made plans to visit Larry on the way home. I asked if Larry would give my bike a look over and that way we/he could attend to the issue. I did send a box of parts out to him ahead of time so that he was ready for the more common things that get over looked. Here is what he completed while my bike rested in his garage.

Changed the engine oil & oil filter & crush washer
Changed the drive shaft gear oil
Aligned front fork(s) and got the front wheel pointing forward again (strange that I never noticed when the bars were straight the wheel was not or vice versa)
Removed front wheel, inspected bearings, packed with new grease
Removed rear wheel, inspected bearings, packed with new grease
Antiseize on both axles
Cleaned all three brake calipers, pistons, clips, etc.
Replaced all three sets of brake pads with OEM pads
Checked all critical fasteners
Torqued swingarm pivot bolt to correct torque.
Found lower triple tree clamp bolts loose
Paint on all critical fasteners
Replaced damaged flange bearing and collar
Replaced worn down rubber dampers in rear hub
Replaced all 0-rings in drive shaft
Removed grease from male splines and replaced with Loctite LB moly paste
Removed grease from female splines and replaced with Loctite LB moly paste
Detail stripped rear wheel and hub and applied moly paste to all points missing it.
Replaced damaged muffler grommets
Cleaned and lubricated shifter linkage
Flushed/bled clutch fluid
Replaced secondary master cylinder
Flush/bled entire brake system completely
Cleaned and lubed all your instrument switches
Inspected/tightened hinge fasteners in both saddlebags

I would highly recommend visiting Larry if you like to learn as well as have your bike taken care of the correct way. He chauffeured me back and forth to my hotel without even a glimpse of annoyance. It really was a great experience. Thank goodness the man has a new OEM (ST1300) spare parts bin bigger than probably any dealer in the country or I would have been riding home a seized SMC. I feel like I do a pretty good job of keeping up with my bike but some things I really just never thought to do.

Anyway, give him a try. You won't be sorry you did.
Glad your Run was safe congrats on the run.
I was the guy at pilot truck stop in Junction Texas

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Hey Skip. How was your ride? I hope everything else went as well as your visit to Larry's. I wish Larry would hurry up and move east! Those left coasters have had him too long now, it's our turn.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I’m going to do a trip out to see Larry one of these days, but it’s a long haul from Motown to his place. Any guidance on the length of the wait list? I do realize the one wouldn’t just show-up of course.

Also, I am active on the XS650.com forum as my other ride is a 1976 Yamaha 650 twin (couldn’t be more different from the ST1300...). I copied and posted Larry’s snake story on that forum in a thread called “Scary animals”.

Bike
06 ST1300
I recently took my '06 ST to Larry to chase down a brake issue and to do a good once over. I got it back this past Saturday and I am very happy! Larry's knowledge of the ST and its specific issues and trouble spots is impressive, to say the least.

Let's be clear about something, though; if you're looking for someone who will just address your complaint with a quick fix and a slap on the back, you'll not get that here! Larry has a gift for recognizing the smallest of issues and a drive to correct those issues. I am impressed with his desire to make sure the motorcycle he is working on does not leave his care even 99% done. It's done 100% and leaves his garage safe and functioning as it should. If you're willing to listen and learn he is willing to teach you how to do the maintenance correctly. If you prefer to just drop it off and come back when it's done, that's fine, too!

Larry's spent a great deal of time on my bike (as if he was working on his own) and he does excellent work. My bike now runs, rides, starts and stops better than it has in the 2 years I've owned it. I enjoyed the time I spent "helping" him work on my bike and would consider you a fool if you passed on his offer of help if you ever find yourself in need of it.

Besides his ability in the shop, Larry is a heck of a nice guy. Generous with knowledge and fun to shoot the breeze with. I highly recommend Larry to anyone having issues with their bike. In fact, my dad is going to take his Gold Wing to Larry in the near future for a brake bleed and flush and a general critique.

It's not often in todays world that you run into someone who genuinely wants to help you out and not just use you as a rung on a ladder or to bolster their own self esteem. Larry is one of those guys that enjoys helping out. It's one of the things I like most about this forum. There seems to be some good people who enjoy helping out where and when they can.

Thanks again, Larry!

Side note: If you wish to read about the list of head scratchers my bike produced while in Larry's garage, just search for " "Howling" noise when using the brake pedal". I will be updating the thread soon with a description of what was found and what the resolution was soon. (Hopefully later today. For now, my day job is demanding my attention.)

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yes....oh yes...Larry is da MAN!!!
He has whispered my bike just a couple months ago. Runs like a top. Or even better...an ST1300...!!

Did he balance the Nickle......?? :headbang:

ToddC

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I've said it once, I'll say it again... Larry lives on the wrong damn continent!!

Top Bottom