Impressions of an RT from an ST owner

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Last Saturday I put around 300 miles on a 2008 1200 RT. I checked the bike out at 0845 and brought it back early afternoon.

Impressions:

The first thing I noticed is the difference in gearing between the RT and the ST. The RT needs more rpms to keep it from stalling (my guess is it has a taller first gear). Also, the vibration from the RT motor is much more noticable at low rpms than the ST. Once underway the footpegs are in a slightly different position that seemed odd at first but I quickly got used to them. The shift lever is a little longer on the RT and I had to search for it when shifting. Torque was about the same as the ST and if I kept the rpms above 3K the bike seemed much happier.

The first 85 miles were interstate miles and the RT proved to be quite capable as a "mile eater". The cruise control and all other controls are perfect on this bike. My only complaint is that the stock windscreen flopped quite a bit at highway speed (75-80 mph).

Passing quickness (60 to 80 mph) was also about the same for the RT as the ST. I simply downshifted into fifth gear and passed with ease.

The rest of the trip was spent riding familiar twisty roads in the Ozarks. I ride these roads often and am familiar with bumps, dips, etc.... This is where the RT really shines. You immediately notice the reduction of 150 lbs in the RT over the ST and the suspension of the RT glides over bumps mid-turn without upset. I really enjoyed riding in the curves with this bike. The RT doesn't seem to pull quite as hard out of the corners but it makes the speed up in the corners.

When I returned the bike the temp. sensor was reading 100 degrees and NO I did not feel any heat from the bike's motor. I immediately felt the heat from the ST as I rode away from the dealership.

All in all I found the RT to be a great ride even with the stock seat. If I could put the V-4 in the RT I'd gladly pay $20K for the bike. I wish Ma Honda gave us cruise control, heated grips and ABS standard.

So what is keeping me from pulling the trigger and purchasing an RT? Reliability issues (real or imaginary), price, difficulty in electronic farkling, and the dealer is 80 miles from the house.

Just my two cents worth,
Mike

Bike
08 Kawa Nomad
STOC #
Thanks for the ride report. I have been thinking about something with more leg room than an ST. At 6'5" I am sometimes wishing that the ST was made for taller riders.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I had the chance to ride the RT last fall. I didn't come away feeling that it was better in the twisties at all.

However, I did LOVE the comfort, weight, and feel of the bike. I'd get one in a heartbeat.

Not to mention, my ST hasn't exactly been maintenance free either; every bike has a degree of design flaw to it. Er... I mean... Every bike has a certain amount of 'character' ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
RT12 was the other bike on my short list when I bought the ST13. The preception of less reliability kept me away from it. I only rode a RT12 for a short demo ride but I was impressed. Especially with the suspensions. Something lighter than the ST13 would appeal to me.

Katmando64

R.I.P. - 2012/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
2008 ST1300
I purchased my ST 4 weeks ago and my friend purchased an RT1200 the next week and we "trade" rides quite frequently. I now have over 3500 miles in four weeks so I have ridden it quite a bit. My impressions between the two are these:
RT1200--better wind management, cruise control, heated grips, less weight, heat management, those are the good points.
RT1200--don't like the engine (underpowered, side to side motion), too many gears, no accessories to be found, not "clean looking", but still a bike I could own.
ST1300--more power, great balance, right height (I'm 5'10), better torque coming out of curves, more accessories, just a more fun bike to ride!
ST1300--needs a different shield, too much heat on the knees, desperately needs cruise (you listening Honda!), still prefer it over the Beemer!

If only the two could be combined then you would truly have a great bike!!

Katmando64

Bike
ST1100
This year I finally got my (meagre) share of the divorce. I was allowed to put some of it towards a new bike by SWMBO.
I had the ST1300, plus the old faithful, ST1100 for work & errands.
I looked around all of the shops in my area & found it came down to a Red pre-registered (2008) St1300, a Wing in red with 300 miles on the clock, again 08, pre owned, and a R1200RT.
I hadn't riden a boxer before, so arranged a test. after a couple of hours out on it I was sold. The Farkle thing is there aren't any to add, so that isn't a problem, i don't need to list the extras, there's only Air con missing.
Sooo, I bought one. Traded the ST1300, I hadn't had it from new, so wasn't that attached to it...
Post purchase thought number one. The nearest dealer is in the middle of a big city. bummer.
Then I got a problem with the fuel gauge. Took two days of waiting around in the hope of having it fixed, still not sure on that.
The stock seat with heater pads is like a plank. I can still feel last sunday's ride today. so out with the heaters or spend ?650 on a new seat that I just bought new!!!!!!!!!
The screen I don't find as good as the stock ST1300, or even the 1100, but replacements are available. (sickly grin emoticon)
If I drop the thing (and personally, after what I paid for it, I'd throw my body or even my first born under it to protect it) there is no protection what so ever on the stock bike. I did buy covers for the rocker covers, but the panniers still lack any protection at all. And you can seeee how expensive those covers are going to be.
The standard Zumo fixing goes on the handlebar attachment, marginally better than the top box I guess.
I'd forgotten what vibration was.
Push it up the drive, no problem, its 150lb lighter.
Bend a bit tighter than I expected, no problem, push that handle bar a little more, stick my head into the mirror & go (2 up there & no toung lashing when I got home).
50mpg, Immobiliser as standard (plus alarm fitted as extra), cruise (great in long speed limited areas when the traffic is light), power adjustable preload & rebound on the shock, brakes, oh those brakes!
The fun of just riding it. makes up for not being an ST. I can always buy the old 1300 back, it's still in the shop, though probably, not for very long.
I guess the thing is, as far as comfort goes, we have all gotten used to a two wheeled car, and moving on to an RT is a different experience. But nothing that can't be cured.
Now where can I get one of those after market exhausts?

Charlie

Rider
Bike
R1200RT
The RT needs more rpms to keep it from stalling (my guess is it has a taller first gear).

[snip]

Torque was about the same as the ST and if I kept the rpms above 3K the bike seemed much happier.
The RT's motor reminds me of a few, uh, european cars that I've owned. The RT's motor wants to be wound up in order to sing. Both for power and fuel economy, the RT wants to live above 4krpm. The ST reminded me more of a big displacement Corvette with gobs of power down low and would easily lumber on at lower rpms while getting good gas mileage.

For me, best fuel economy on the RT is not in 6th gear at highway speeds (speed limit + 7). I do better in 5th or sometimes even 4th depending on the actual speed traveling.

And while I was a fan of the K1200GT, I'm not so much on board with the K1300's.

STOC #
no accessories to be found,
Um, you're kidding me, right?

Radio, two top cases, two different seats, integrated tank bag, bag liners for all side cases-top cases, back fender extender, cylinder guards, engine cover... these are just the BMW Motorrad stuff. There are hundreds of items custom made for the RT... foot pegs, seats, other windscreens, tank bags, bag liners, paint protection kits, headlight covers, this and that.... yada yada yada.... ad infinitum...

It has got to be the most accessorized touring bike out there. Won't agree with you on that point.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Radio, two top cases, two different seats, integrated tank bag, bag liners for all side cases-top cases, back fender extender, cylinder guards, engine cover... these are just the BMW Motorrad stuff. There are hundreds of items custom made for the RT... foot pegs, seats, other windscreens, tank bags, bag liners, paint protection kits, headlight covers, this and that.... yada yada yada.... ad infinitum...

It has got to be the most accessorized touring bike out there. Won't agree with you on that point.
LOL.. +1, the ST is much worse as far at OEM stuff.. probably aftermarket as well.

Bike
2005 ST1300

(Chris..Its the kool aide..shhhhh!:p:)

If I drop the thing (and personally, after what I paid for it, I'd throw my body or even my first born under it to protect it) there is no protection what so ever on the stock bike. I did buy covers for the rocker covers, but the panniers still lack any protection at all.

BMW sells protective covers for the side bags, stick on rubber type things that would protect them in a drop. Drop with forward motion, oh well.
The cost is approx 60.00 a side. Outer case is 450.00 so it's worth it.

Katmando64

R.I.P. - 2012/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well....I guess I've been suitably chastised for the comment about accessories!
But to defend myself somewhat, I rarely see that many RT's in my area and there are no dealerships within 100 miles of me and my friend with the RT has had problems finding accessories.
If you have suggestions for my friend on "crash bars" and highway pegs he would appreciate it!

Katmando64
(quietly eating humble pie)

STOC #
Well....I guess I've been suitably chastised for the comment about accessories!
But to defend myself somewhat, I rarely see that many RT's in my area and there are no dealerships within 100 miles of me and my friend with the RT has had problems finding accessories.
If you have suggestions for my friend on "crash bars" and highway pegs he would appreciate it!

Katmando64
(quietly eating humble pie)
Katmando64,

No worries on the ragging... all in fun... here are some links for crash bars...

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?sku=047-0102&-session=touratech:4AA74B1A13cd52AE23yXM2049537

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WA&Product_Code=8160735-736&Category_Code=R1200RT-P

And for pegs...

http://search.ascycles.com/motorcycle/Pegs

Top Bottom