Impressions of BMW Motorrad Dealers

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Couple thoughts:

Don't think BMW is as reliable as Honda, but I 'll bet overall BMWs are pretty darn reliable.

Don't mistake not wanting to dicker on price with bad customer service .

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Objectively, like modern automobiles, they're all much more reliable than they were but customers (on the internet) don't seem one bit (pun intended) more satisfied:).
The basic stuff has gotten more reliable over the years, but unfortunately they've added a ton of new systems that tend to eventually fail over time. Many of those systems require dealer-specific diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot and repair, and the prices of the components are ridiculous.

edit: I was mainly referring to cars in this post, but its also true to a lesser degree on new bikes too. In my experience bikes have all been reliable enough for the last 30+ years, so I don't like to see too much additional complexity added to them to make them less user serviceable.

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
The basic stuff has gotten more reliable over the years, but unfortunately they've added a ton of new systems that tend to eventually fail over time. Many of those systems require dealer-specific diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot and repair, and the prices of the components are ridiculous.......
Not sure your point, other than to vent. Bikes and cars are more reliable - we agree :).

The ton of stuff added is added for only one or two reasons - customers want it and are willing to pay for it, and/or government regulations requires it. I, and most customers, love Cruise Control, Fuel Injection, moving windshields, GPS, heated accessories, better lighting, ABS, linked brakes, TPM systems, etc. That leaves government regulated new systems adding complexity which manufacturers probably don't like either. All in all, I occasionally jump on a 70's bike just to remind me how bad they really were (although again we agree they were simpler).

Last edited:
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
To have those that have owned both --- have you found that maintenance costs are significantly different (higher/lower) for a BMW bike than the Japanese bikes?

TPadden

Tom Padden
To have those that have owned both --- have you found that maintenance costs are significantly different (higher/lower) for a BMW bike than the Japanese bikes?
I currently own and ride Japanese, German, Italian, and English. My bikes only go to a dealer for repair, not maintenance.... and as Dave has pointed out - I primarily change oil, tires, and ride. :)

NOTHING I have owned and ridden in the last 15 years (averaging 40-50,000 miles a year) has required ANY significant maintenance. My K1200LT did require a $800 rear drive repair at 106,000 miles, and my Triumph required a $60 starter relay at 40,000 miles, other than only that an occasional battery, bulb, brake pad, or chain has been it.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm active in a chartered BMWMOA club with about 360 active members and I am active here with at least as many members. I hear the experiences of many owners. If I say more I'll be accused of bashing when really it is first and close second hand knowledge anyone with a brain would be comfortable with.

While not at all scientific my experience with your question is, are you serious?

TPadden

Tom Padden
....... I'll be accused of bashing when really it is first and close second hand knowledge anyone with a brain would be comfortable with.

While not at all scientific my experience with your question is, are you serious?
Nothing surprising here........ of course we're not serious. :rofl1:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
All in all, I occasionally jump on a 70's bike just to remind me how bad they really were (although again we agree they were simpler).
That right there's the key point.

What we had 40 years ago was a lot simpler and could be fixed at the side of the road with chewing gum and bailing wire. This was a good thing because you had to do that. A lot.

What we have now is a lot more expensive to repair when it fails, but the failure rate is a tiny fraction of what it was with the older stuff. I'd much rather have a part that costs $1,000 to replace fail once when the rest of the car is close to the end of its life than have to make a bunch of trips to the shop for minor repairs at $150 a pop at unpredictable intervals.

--Mark

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'd much rather have a part that costs $1,000 to replace fail once when the rest of the car is close to the end of its life than have to make a bunch of trips to the shop for minor repairs at $150 a pop at unpredictable intervals.
I'd rather have a bike that performs flawlessly, is incredibly efficient, never needs maintenance or repair, is easily and inexpensively customized to my preferences, and available to ride wherever I want to go whenever I get the itch. Is that asking too much? :rolleyes:

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Besides, reading about all the problems on the BMW forums
As a former ST 1300 owner I would like to chime in on a couple of items. I belive Honda is one of the best, most reliable motorcycles that I have ever owned and would'nt hesitate to go back to Honda, given they would have something that would interest me for today's market. When I seen the 1600 GT, it perked my interest up to investigate further. I went to the dealer that had the one I was looking at (only one in Minnesota at the time) and seen it in person. It had all the bells and whistles on it for options from the factory. I had some farkles on the 1300, but had no comparison to the BMW. I knew I would have to have it. I bought the bike with no test ride or demo ride (this was in January).

I had a chance to go for a quick ride on it a few weeks later as the weather was mild for that time of year. All I could say was WOW. Since then, I have never regretted trading in my loved Honda for this machine.

To date, I have 24,000 miles on it. The only problems I have had with it has been a leaky water pump (6,000 miles on it) and a faulty switch for the windshield control. No problems other than that for about a year and a half now. The one thing I do not like about it, is the dealer network. I do not care for some of the closer dealers to me, as they seem "snobby". Like they are doing me a favor to talk to me about the bike or any service I would like to get done. Like most other dealers, YOU need to find the one that satisfies YOU and feel comfortable with.

I joined this forum several years ago, and have stuck with it because this is the best group of guys and gals I have been around to ride and associate with. It doesnt matter what you ride or who you ride with, this is a good group of people that just want to have some fun together. OK maybe they rib a little at the ST events:D.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I'm active in a chartered BMWMOA club with about 360 active members and I am active here with at least as many members. I hear the experiences of many owners. If I say more I'll be accused of bashing when really it is first and close second hand knowledge anyone with a brain would be comfortable with.

Dave, you might not realize this but you'd make a great politician. You never did answer the question... ;)

Bike
06 ST
From a merchant standpoint, if you satisfiy everyone that walks in the door, you are doing something wrong. About 5% of the people are going to be extremely difficult to deal with and the merchant has to deal with that. I have purchased a Accord for my wife a few years back, the dealer was very civil and if I had any complaints to call they back to have them reconciled. The dealer told me 2 or 3 times the same thing. I said why are you mentioning that. "He said it Honda gets word of poor service from a customer, they will investigate and stop supplying them with cars or cut down on their allotment". Also happened at Nissan Dealer, don't call the manufactures rep, call us with any problems. A few years back you could not get a discount on Honda Cars, selling at list or above, not so now. Dave B.

Stop at your friendly Honda shop and ask for a test ride on an ST1300.

Now stop at the BMW store and ask the same question.

BMW has a program that provides dealers with bikes to demo and I had trouble getting away after one test ride, on an R1200RT, the model I wanted and bought. I took out a K1600 for fun - and it was fun!

I did have one bad experience with a BMW salesman a few years ago. When I asked if the basic model was available he said "We don't get them because riders who want a machine of this caliber want all the extras." Well excu-u-use me! A couple of years later I bought one at another dealer.

pete
R1200RT

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
Hi Jeff

My previous bike was an ST1100 and I think it was cheaper to maintain, the valve adjustment frequency was less, maybe filters cost less. The last 3 or 4 years I only did oil, tires and brakes on the Honda. During the 13 years I owned the bike I had no repairs just maintenance and a mirror housing and cover for the tip over wing because of a tip over on our drive way. The RT has 38,000 km on and has required nothing other than scheduled maintenance, no warranty claims needed and it is valid till May 2015 with unlimited mileage.

Gerhard

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #

mmmk ... I'll take that as a Yes then :shrug2: :D

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

I have just over a half a brain ... and I can't tell what you're saying. :yes:

Bike
BMW K1600GT
I came from the ST1300 to K1600GT. I wanted so bad to stick with Honda but they have given up on the ST. My Honda was 100 percent reliable and never once gave me a lick of trouble in 80K miles. I did however, want a change. I really liked the K1300GT, but it had its' issues; wasn't worth the change for me at the time. The test ride did not impress me, then I saw the designs for the next generation K bike and loved it. I went to the BMW Forums and went through all of the things people had to say, but all I really had to do was to ride one. Almost two years of ownership and 18K trouble free miles and I am happy with the switch. The bike is everything I have wanted it to be so far. Maintenance is somewhat more expensive than the ST and is easier to work on than the ST. It is up to date in terms of technology and I believe it is the best sports tourer on the planet today. As for the dealer network no issues so far. I am stationed at FT Bragg, NC but my family lives up North, so twice a month I'm on I-95. I have used several dealers for both parts and service along the way and have been generally pleased with the way I'm treated. Before I bought the K bike, I went to the same dealerships on the Honda. Yes, I saw somewhat how I was treated differently. BMW people can either be great or snobs. I brought from the dealership that really appreciated the ST for the benchmark it was. They didn't care what someone rode in on, "we're all bikers". I've been to dealers in SD, MT, AZ, TX, PA, CT, NH, VA, FL, NC and MA have not have one bad experience although I know of people that were turned off the arrogance of some dealers (none of which I've been to). I think that if you are going to plop big bucks down on a premium bike, all dealers should have top notch customer service whether you are looking, buying, or getting service. The BMW so far is the best bike I have ever owned, but I will always appreciate the ST1300. Time will tell if it can begin to match the rock steady reliability of the ST.

When I found a BMW G650 I really liked, I contacted the dealership on a Saturday but was told that they close Sunday. OK, no big deal. To my surprise, he called me back after twenty minutes and asked me what time I wanted to see the bike (on Sunday.) At nine o'clock Sunday morning, the salesman drove up to the gate (locked) and opened up the entire store for me. Showed me the bike I wanted to see, and others, then wheeled it out for me to ride. After twenty minutes of riding, I bought the bike. Mind you, he did not know who or what I was, yet he opened up the whole store for a complete stranger.

Top Bottom