Impressions of BMW Motorrad Dealers

TPadden

Tom Padden
I second that request. Post up that dealers name.
Not sure that it really makes any difference, unless the individual salesman's name and phone number is what you want. Almost all dealers I've dealt with, no matter what manufacturer, have both great and terrible individuals working in sales and service.

At the manufacturer's dealer level though, I've found BMW consistently has the MOST liberal test ride policy by a very great margin. I've never been refused a test ride at any BMW dealer .... :D

Last edited:

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
With BMW, the MSRP appears to be the sales price, which is different than any purchase I have made with the Japanese brands. And in general, the dealers are only interested in selling bikes that are fully loaded. I repeatedly inquired about the best price available for a base K16GT with only the engine guards installed.
BMW has smaller margins than asian brands in the US. The standard 'biz model' gives dealers who charge ALL the extra fees as much as 12% gross margin to work with. The dealers I know well average 9.75% on new units. Commissions are usually a % of the net margin (after some admin costs come out, about $200), 10-20% depending on base pay structure. Average commission for a $20K sale is about $350 for full commission only structures, or about half that for those making a base of approximately minimum wage. If you discount that $20K bike $1K, after admin costs it cuts the full commission down to $150. If you were selling BMW's for a living, how interested would you be in price dickering? Used is a different gig, there is usually about double the gross margin to work with - if you have to get 'a deal' to make the experience work for you, this is the place to start.

Some of the best, and worst experiences I've had with dealers have been with euro brands. For some reason, some dealers representing Italian, German, and British motos think flaunting a superior and unconcerned demeanor is an inherent part of their schtick. In contrast, there are the asian brands that employ unknowing, inexperienced, sniveling punks from the 'owed' generation who don't get that I've been riding longer than they have been alive, hence I'm not to receptive to being called "Boss", and being told what they think I need to be riding... and can't test drive. Our local BMW dealer is one of the nicest, most laid back, and seriously experienced group of professionals I've met in any dealership in over 30 years. IF I were going to buy a BMW, I would have no reservations about working with them. The local asian dealers, not so much.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Ok to answer the ?

Here in Eastern Pa.
Port Clinton, Pa. is a BMW shop name Hermy's.

Mark this place down.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Here in the Atlanta Metro area, we have two BMW motorcycle outlets (that I know of). The one closest to me is in Marietta, and has been okay to deal with in the past. I have ordered parts there, but found online parts ordering to be more efficient- the parts folk at the dealer were not too well informed, and often got parts mixed up, and, it's a 30 mile ride each way.

As for buying newer bikes, they seemed to have kind of an attitude, since I often rode my '71 R75 in, or my '78 R100..they'd never even look twice at me. When I rode the ST13 in, they at least said Hi.

The other dealer, Blue Moon cycles, is SO bad, I'll never go back....they are the quintessential snobby, " we sell BMW's, so you owe US", BMW dealer. John Landstrom used to own it, am not sure now. He was, at one time, a fair wrench, and knew a lot about Airhead BMW's, but became pretty successful, and it went to his head. Not a place I'd recommend nor patronize. I hate to bypass local places to buy online, but this is one case I will every time.

Our local Honda Dealer, (Cycle Nation) is not much better, but the parts gal is pretty good. Thank goodness for online parts places!

I made the mistake of going to the closest BMW dealer this past summer and taking a sip of the Kool-Aid.

My wife was looking to replace her cruiser with something that didn't feel like "driving a wheelbarrow". We had learned that BMW offers a "factory lowered" chassis on their F700GS/F800GS models (essentially the same bikes) and wanted to check it out.

I was expecting the "stereotypical" BMW dealer but what we got was one of the best MC dealership experiences yet.

Friendly, courteous staff who believed in their product but not to the point where it was the only thing out there. The salesman and sales manager were avid riders with a wide range of bike experiences. Through our discussions they acknowledged several times the ST was a nice bike with a smooth ride never once berating it... but of course extolling the virtues of BMWs. We spent more time discussing riding then actually talking about buying.

We ended up purchasing a new F700GS. I also got to test ride a F650GS, R1200GS, and a new K1600GTL!

We left with a positive experience. Hoping the post sale dealings with the dealership are just as good. Time will tell.

ohhh...and the Kool-Aid.....it tasted good!

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I was waiting for my ST to get some new tires. I left the shop after a second of gazing at the world's most boring line of motorcycles there, and walked over to the BMW shop across the street.

I was given a free hot dog, pop corn, and a soda. It was a slow day there, and the sales manager, a salesman and I chatted briefly about the F800GT, and then spent another two hours talking about our rides, our hobbies, and just using the Motorrad's as a place to sit and chat on the sales floor. I had a great time. Never once did the dealer even ask if I was in the market for a motorcycle, or pressure me to buy. We just had a great chat.

So add me to the list of - Good BMW Dealer Experiences. It doesn't change my mind on what motorcycle I would buy, but it will certainly have me come back and browse there in the future.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
I was waiting for my ST to get some new tires. I left the shop after a second of gazing at the world's most boring line of motorcycles there, and walked over to the BMW shop across the street.

I was given a free hot dog, pop corn, and a soda. It was a slow day there, and the sales manager, a salesman and I chatted briefly about the F800GT, and then spent another two hours talking about our rides, our hobbies, and just using the Motorrad's as a place to sit and chat on the sales floor. I had a great time. Never once did the dealer even ask if I was in the market for a motorcycle, or pressure me to buy. We just had a great chat.

So add me to the list of - Good BMW Dealer Experiences. It doesn't change my mind on what motorcycle I would buy, but it will certainly have me come back and browse there in the future.
Similar experience today, went shop bouncing looking for an adhesive Scala Q2 mount for my kids new helmet (these wild little creatures just don't stop growing!), they had one yet they weren't sure what to charge. I replied that I had no idea as all my Scala gear was professionally comped for training development from the regional sales guy, so they just gave it to me! I'm not an owner, and the parts guy had never seen me in the shop before... little things can go a long way. Killed another 30 minutes talking to a sales guy, the sales manager, and the owner - no pressure, just riders talking riding. Given that they are by far the closest dealer (10 minutes vs. an hour+ for Triumph and Guzzi), they will be the first place I look to scratch my next itch.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Similar experience today, went shop bouncing looking for an adhesive Scala Q2 mount for my kids new helmet (these wild little creatures just don't stop growing!), they had one yet they weren't sure what to charge. I replied that I had no idea as all my Scala gear was professionally comped for training development from the regional sales guy, so they just gave it to me! I'm not an owner, and the parts guy had never seen me in the shop before... little things can go a long way. Killed another 30 minutes talking to a sales guy, the sales manager, and the owner - no pressure, just riders talking riding. Given that they are by far the closest dealer (10 minutes vs. an hour+ for Triumph and Guzzi), they will be the first place I look to scratch my next itch.
You just made me realize something:

All of the staff in the BMW shop were older guys. Many were retired and doing it for fun.

The staff in my local Honda shop are all under 25 years for the most part.

I'm sure this has something to do with the difference in service approaches.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
If you don't like the dealer go somewhere else, seems kind of easy. You're bashing the manufacturer instead of the salesman for a bad sales experience?
Read the forums to get the real truth, Honda ST1300's have stuck thermostat's and weave so bad you can't speed, Goldwings all have broken frames, all K1600's are lemons.

Find a dealer and a bike you are passionate about or they will all seem like lemons.
Yes I will bash the manufacturer and the local dealer , this is what happened to me with BMW : I bought a brand new '08 BMW R1200RT , I had test ridden 4 others before I accepted this one , because of the color. As soon as I got it home , it had this knocking noise & really uneven , snatchy sounding idle. I had it into dealer 4 times over 2 years and they wouldn't fix it under warranty or acknowledge it had a predetonation problem -that I had to find out by the BMWMOA forum . The computer's software would not read the anti-knock sensors and was letting it be way too timing advanced - by only 6K miles it had developed a piston slap , it was destroying itself ! It also had a fuel pump controller quit and stranded me at 4K miles. The Top box had 4 different pieces of plastic structure between it and the steel frame that wore & got loose in about 1000 miles on the first trip to a rally - my wife was afraid she and the box were going to fall off the bike - she was never on the BMW again ! The rear end was getting louder by the 6K miles when I stopped riding it . The exhaust pipes turned ugly within first 500 miles because of lack of being double walled like Honda's exposed appearance pipes are . The electronic ring around the key lock went bad . The BMW R series had no fans to turn on in stopped traffic / no air flow situations . Police versions have fans to blow on the oil coolers to prevent THEM from overheating ! The BMW warranty was useless when BMW & the dealer's arrogant attitude was " there can't be anything wrong with a BMW" I never had one ride on that bike that I felt like I had a good reliable motorcycle under me ! Outcome: after 2 years of trying to get BMW to make it right, my patience was gone, I was totally P.O.'d . I took them to court with the Magnuson-Moss federal lemon law to back me up . Since I had it back 4 times for the predetonation issue alone, I got the cost of a new engine & computer back. But I still had no local BMW dealer that could be trusted to change an engine or do anything else right for that matter ( in 2 shop sessions : they had also tossed 2 appearance painted fairing plastics and engine head /valve cover on the cement , scratching the heck out of them , on a brand new bike !, cost me $165 for a body shop to re-paint the plastic the 1st episode) I hated the BMW so much after 2 1/2 years of going thru He!!, I stripped off all the accessories I bought for it , then I sold it as-is on ebay just so I would never see it again. THEN On the other hand , I bought my 8032 mile '07 ST1300 for less than half of what I paid for the miserable new BMW . IT has all the smooth , quiet , refined, reliableness that the R1200RT never had , WITH NO TROUBLE YET! The ST1300 got the BMW's accessories that I could re-bracket to fit the ST. The only thing was the RT had cruise control; I put on a Dakota Digital Cruise Control on the ST. Stick with the Honda ST1300 !!! p.s. : Peruse the BMWMOA forums on the Hex-Head R series & the other series' bike's electrical & mechanical troubles compared to how little there really is concerning problems on the ST1300.

That new BMW should have never gotten off the assembly line and shipped here in that condition - where was their quality checking dept. ? Then it should have been checked at this dealer here before being sold. Then a brand new bike with a predetonation flaw , discovered by the new owner should have been fixed A.S.A.P. before it caused the engine damage that was inevitable with that condition. I had that RT back to BMW of Grand Rapids 4 times in 2 years for the same problem , it's not like I didn't give them the chance to make it right . And BMW themselves obviously didn't care after they got their majority of the $20,000 ! The closest next dealership(s) are a 4 hour round trip from this one with no guaranteed satisfaction with them either. After 2 1/2 years of all that with them - you bet I'll bash the whole lot of them !

The closest next dealership(s) are a 4 hour round trip from this one with no guaranteed satisfaction with them either. After 2 1/2 years of all that with them - you bet I'll bash the whole lot of them !
TourNut, did you try the BMW dealer in Canton, MI? John Horner, the owner, and his crew seem to be good people. He belongs to the Michigan chapter of the Motorcycle Sport Touring Association (MSTA), as do I, and a lot of the members seem to be riding bikes they bought from him. I've heard no complaints about service.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
No, this all happened from Sept. '08 to 3/2011 when I finally got the bike gone , out of my life.
Speaking of the MSTA , I wanted to join the West Michigan MSTA group , but I went the last meeting and guess who was there ? - the shmuck Grand Rapids BMW dealer owner that sold me that wretched '08 RT ! Sure don't want to be riding with him , after my 2 1/2 year long stress & aggravation experience I went through !

Bike
BMW K1600GT
TourNut,
Your experience is exactly why it took me so long to buy a BMW. In my case, I lucked out and had a very good dealer experience. The one time I did have an issue was with MAX BMW in CT. They treated me like they just didn't care about customers. I e-mailed the owner, he replyed and stated his sorrow. On a return trip to the same dealer, completely different experience. There is no excuse for poor customer service preminum brand dealerships.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
I wanted to join the West Michigan MSTA group , but I went the last meeting and guess who was there ? - the shmuck Grand Rapids BMW dealer owner that sold me that wretched '08 RT ! Sure don't want to be riding with him , after my 2 1/2 year long stress & aggravation experience I went through !
Come on bash the group for accepting him! Bunch of no-good %^&*'s for letting him in. ;)

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I am not bashing the MSTA. They had nothing to do with how this dealer runs his dealership. I would like to ride with other ST owners & others with quiet bikes for enjoyable rides. Is that too much to ask for ? Also when you work and save $20 Gs for a bike - is That too much to ask for that the bike runs right when brand new ?

Last edited:

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Did I ever tell you about the 3 times my local Level 5 Honda dealer mounted my tires backwards? I know, I shouldn't let them have the third chance. Good and bad experiences with every dealership I've visited EXCEPT my local BMW dealership where all of my visits have been positive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I won't step foot in our local Yamaha, Kawi, Suzuki and Polaris dealership. The guy that owns the place seems bothered when you ask questions.

At least the guys at the BMW dealership ride and have done so for decades. They seem to understand a rider's wants and needs. In my Honda dealership there might be a teenager that works at the parts counter that has a dirt bike (not sure about that though). I think some own ATVs.......does that count?
Mike

Top Bottom