Information On Motorcycle Air Vests

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It amazes me that you ever make any decision …. :rofl1:

Tom
Let's recall from my earlier, highly opinionated comments on the subject, this is far from any type of priority for me or my riding.
In fact, I'm still pretty doggone ambivalent about the whole idea.
Think of the esteemed, British Coffee Meister who makes regular appearances 'round here, who is known for his succinct and curt trademark "Pfffttt!"
I'll be using the funds for more training, before an airbag vest.
I'm known to "think out loud" in this space, and while most of you can't read my mind, and I don't expect you to, remember that much of the time, I can scarcely decipher it myself.
But to your point, Tom, as an analytical personality, I eventually will make a decision. On most things of relative import, at least.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll be using the funds for more training, before an airbag vest.
I'm all for training but if you ride long enough and far enough, sooner or later you will encounter a situation that all the training in the world won't deliver you. ;)
My last accident was the first time in 600,000+ miles and 50+ years of riding that I got hauled to a hospital and the bike left on a wrecker.
To me, the vest is just another piece of safety gear that can help me when the unexpected and unpreventable occurs.
Sometimes physics is just not on the rider's side.
In my mind the vest goes right along with helmets, protective riding suits, good boots, ABS, eye protection - the list goes on and on.
Anything that is practical, affordable and will give me a safety advantage I am going to investigate.
You blow up your own balloons, you throw your own parties. :biggrin:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Agreed.
As is often said, we all have our personal level of risk acceptance.
If money were never a challenge, I'd have one already. Not that that means anything, or changes anything.

Well, after much procrastinating, forum and web surfing. I got myself a Helite Turtle 2 this week.
I’ve put a hundred miles of A roads with many junctions, stops and starts. As well as a little straight up cruising along. I gotta say. You really don’t notice wearing it.
Obviously, I don’t ever want to find out if it works. For those worried about the tether, it’s really not a thing. You can dismount attached and you get a gentle reminder ‘tug’ that you are still attached.
Whilst it isn’t cheap, and I hope to never use its function. I’d consider it a good buy.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
You really don’t notice wearing it.
You can dismount attached and you get a gentle reminder ‘tug’ that you are still attached.
Agree with its comfort. But you must have the tether mounted way looser than I. I can't consider getting off the bike when connected.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Agree with its comfort. But you must have the tether mounted way looser than I. I can't consider getting off the bike when connected.
The Hit-Air tether has a coiled section.
Their installation instructions say if you stand up on the footpegs and lean slightly forward, the tether should be fully extended (include the coils).
If I forget, I notice really quickly as the tether is connected on the right side and I am getting off on the left side.
As James said, it is just not that big of a deal.
The real issue is placing the tether end in plain sight so you remember to hook up - which is easy to accomplish also.
But, YEMV. ;)

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I was pleasantly surprised with the delivery time on my E-Turtle 2 vest. I ordered on Saturday and it arrived on Thursday. I ordered from Revzilla but the package came from Helite so I guess they drop-shipped from Helite. Got her charged up and ready for the next nice day that I can take her for a ride.

JohnConner
:bluegw: :usflag1:

Bike
2010 ST1300A
Another safety device I'm ambivalent over is the Leatt brace fitted on the shoulders and under the helmet, such as we see Noraly wear.
Interestingly, although the potential AND documented benefits of both the Leatt and the airbag are pretty much inarguable, these two pieces of safety gear are not compatible with one another.
Actually, the Helite 2 (the vests we use) will stabilize the helmet in a similar fashion as a collar from the test videos that I have seen. That was a positive point for us.

Yhea, the neck immobilisation, or at very least movement restriction. That was a big one for me. Broadly, neck and torso are the primarily lethal injuries. Fractures and arterial traumas.
Limbs can to some extent be fixed.
You can go down a few internet rabbit holes. But I really have not seen a bad word to be said re the overall safety benefits of such a simple piece of kit.
As long as I love my family as much as I love my bike. The helite will be part of my daily wear.
Each to their own, though.

Top Bottom