Information On Motorcycle Air Vests

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Tor,

I'm looking on Revzilla at Klim airbag vests and it shows 4 models. Discounting the airbag pack model, Is yours the Ai-1, Atlas 14 Avalanche, or Ai-1 Rally airbag vest?

Are you happy with the vest's performance?

If you were looking to get a new vest, money not being a big concern, what would be first on your list? Are you sold on the electronic activation or do you think a tethered vest is equally as good?

Thanks for the feedback,

John Conner
:bluegw: :usflag1:
I have the standard AI-1 KLIM vest. The difference between the Ai-1 and Ai-1 Rally is that the Rally version has impact padding in the front of the vest. I think this is more off-road oriented to protect the vest and your body from rocks that are thrown up from vehicles in front of you. The STD Ai-1 should serve you fine. The Avalanche model is for snow sports I believe and to inflate in the event of an Avalanche where it will inflate a large air bag ballon over your head to keep snow from packing around your head. https://www.klim.com/Atlas-14-Avalanche-Airbag-Vest-4059-000
I'm very pleased with my KLIM vest that Ive had for a couple of years now.

Last edited:

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Every so often I would forget to attach the tether but it only took a few yards for the tether to remind me to do so. I considered adding one of these as a reminder:

IMG_2070.jpeg

In day to day use, I’ve never triggered the vest. Getting off the bike without disconnecting the trigger has never been an issue. I just stop like my dog at the end of a leash and that’s it.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Tor,

I'm looking on Revzilla at Klim airbag vests and it shows 4 models. Discounting the airbag pack model, Is yours the Ai-1, Atlas 14 Avalanche, or Ai-1 Rally airbag vest?

Are you happy with the vest's performance?

If you were looking to get a new vest, money not being a big concern, what would be first on your list? Are you sold on the electronic activation or do you think a tethered vest is equally as good?

Thanks for the feedback,

John Conner
:bluegw: :usflag1:
John,

I've got an AI-1. If it tore up, I would definitely buy one again. As for tethered vs autonomous, I have no experience with the tethered systems. I started doing research, and chose the Klim / In&Motion AI-1. I have had it for almost 3 years. Have had it go off twice. Once in a left hand low side on the XR, where I lost the front, probably due to deep tailbraking / then unloading the front a little earlyyyy, and there might have a little sand involved. She's all back to her rowdy little self with some new parts.That was my first incident I've had on a bike, where by butt ended up on the pavement. No injuries at all. The vest deployed way before I hit the ground. Second deployment was on the GSA. Side-swiped from the right side by car. Cars fault. Fairly low speed, coming out of Y type intersection. Vest again deployed before I hit the ground, but because it really don't protect the side of the shoulder down along the upper arm, it didnt prevent a clavicle break on right side.

What I like:
No tether, and two full days of riding on a charge, charge time ~2 hours, every 2-3 months firmware updates, superb In&Motion support, easy to get operational once deployed (stash a new cartridge in your luggage), large strech panels on each side and around the waist, very comfortable to wear, great phone app for firmware update and vest status.

Last edited:
Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have not read if the vest that need to be charged can be charged from the bike when the battery runs low. Summer before last I camped in Canada and the only time I could charge my phone was when I was riding..

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I have not read if the vest that need to be charged can be charged from the bike when the battery runs low. Summer before last I camped in Canada and the only time I could charge my phone was when I was riding..
The KLIM vest uses a standard USB to Micro USB charging cable so it can be charged the same as any other device. It cannot be used while it is charging however as the module has to be removed from the vest to charge it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
@Uncle Phil, IIRC, one of the guys at the NESTOC had a clip fastened to the handlebars that mated with the tether (if you go tethered route). Since the black tether now stretched up toward the ignition, it served as a reminder to buckle up. You could easily bend a little U shaped clip out of a piece of coat hanger and simply tie it to the handlebar. Pull the tether up, slip it in the narrow U so that the plastic will not fit through and you have your reminder for free.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
@Uncle Phil, Ryan @ FortNine just released a YouTube video on this exact topic.

Good stuff there. Here’s the link
Well, I've already purchase the Hit-Air Maximum Large from Motorcyclegear.com with various 'accessories'.
From what I found, Hit-Air has been in the business longer than Helite and their coverage in the Maximum line looks to be a bit better.
It seems to be the 'unit of choice' among a lot of police units so I figured that's not a bad thing.
We'll give some more details once I have it in my hands.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Well, I've already purchase the Hit-Air Maximum Large from Motorcyclegear.com with various 'accessories'.
From what I found, Hit-Air has been in the business longer than Helite and their coverage in the Maximum line looks to be a bit better.
It seems to be the 'unit of choice' among a lot of police units so I figured that's not a bad thing.
We'll give some more details once I have it in my hands.
Here's hoping you never are able to give us a full review on how it works!! Congrats on your new purchase!

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here's hoping you never are able to give us a full review on how it works!! Congrats on your new purchase!
Well, hopefully it works like a rainsuit - if you put it on, it won't rain or the rain will stop - if you don't you'll get soaking wet ... ;)

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Something to add to the mix.
This was really a good video- I had never intended to get an electronic airbag and this video justifies my purchase. The jeans I guess could be helpful, but look less comfortable when walking about (when I remember to do so, I have Bohn armored shorts under the jeans (they’re ventilated so not too hot in the summer). The backpack idea is OK in theory, but lack of rib protection is a big NO in my book.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
This was really a good video- I had never intended to get an electronic airbag and this video justifies my purchase. The jeans I guess could be helpful, but look less comfortable when walking about (when I remember to do so, I have Bohn armored shorts under the jeans (they’re ventilated so not too hot in the summer). The backpack idea is OK in theory, but lack of rib protection is a big NO in my book.
That rib 'thingy' is kinda of important to me - based on my experience! ;)

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Well, hopefully it works like a rainsuit - if you put it on, it won't rain or the rain will stop - if you don't you'll get soaking wet ... ;)
That literally happened to me. It was cloudy and starting to drizzle, so I stopped under the next overpass and put on my rainsuit. When I pulled out, it was dry and sunny. D-oh!

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I got to take my first 'ride' today with my new Hit-Air vest - a little run slightly over 300 miles.
Some observations -

1. If you are 'big' boy like me, you'd better get the 'extender straps' even if you get the LARGE vest (biggest one they offer) - I did and I needed them.
2. The vest fit fine over my heated liner+jacket liner+First Gear Riding Jacket with the 'extender straps'.
3. The vest does weigh a little bit, but once you put it on, you don't really notice the weight.
4. With my replacement gas door latch, I have a nice place to put the end of the tether so I don't forget to 'reconnect'.
5. However, remembering to 'untether' is whole 'nother issue! ;)
6. Because it was decently cool today, I did not get a feel for the effects it has on air flow.
7. After wearing it pretty much all day, I can honestly say that it was unobtrusive - I forgot I had it on - hence the 'untether' problem. ;)

NOTE: NO CO2 CARTRIDGES WERE HARMED OR FIRED DURING THIS EXPERIENCE! :biggrin:

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
You'll find it takes a bit more of a tug to deploy the vest than you'll create by walking away from it. :)

You'll find it does cut airflow some. That's a plus in some situations. In 70-80F temps, you won't notice the lack of airflow. It'll pass enough just fine. When the temps get up in the 90s, is when you want to start limiting airflow. Any cooling vest you have in those temps will be dry in 30 minutes...unless you're wearing the vest. It'll allow enough air to flow through, but not too much.

Chris

Top Bottom