Installing Rostra Cruise Control on ST1100

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
At the moment there seems to be only two electronic cruise controls available for the ST1100. The best and probably the easier to install, and that has support, is the McCruise. Yes it's some coin but you don't need to purchase any extra items, it's included in ONE kit! Also there's support!
Rostra can be found on ebay and some vendors will sell the speed sensor magnet and the control panel but you will still need to source out magnets, and bolts. Wiring diagrams too. There's no customer support, as Rostra doesn't recommend installing it on a motorcycle.

I created a PDF document for the Rostra cruise control. It's a step by step guide with photos.

You do this at your own risk! If you are not mechanically inclined or don't have electrical expertise don't attempt to install.

My cost for this was close to $500 Canadian The McCruise is close to $1300

Attachments

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Excellent job on the tutorial! The basic model number is 250-1223.

I only spent about US$300 on the setup on my Nighthawk 750.

I'm happy to help with wiring advice if needed, if you don't mind.

I'm looking into throttle-cable splitters to add the servo cable.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Excellent job on the tutorial! The basic model number is 250-1223.

I only spent about US$300 on the setup on my Nighthawk 750.

I'm happy to help with wiring advice if needed, if you don't mind.

I'm looking into throttle-cable splitters to add the servo cable.
Go for it. I got a lot of help from numerous threads, however it was bits of info nothing complete.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Thanks for the outstanding info! I will be finishing my Rostra install this winter and these notes will be very helpful!

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have more of a follow up on my installation, and I will also reflect on the mistakes I made so that others won’t go down the same path.

In my search for issues that I had with the Rostra I went through close to 600 plus posts that were about various installations. For the most part there seemed to be two locations to install the servo the most common being in the tail section and a few had installed it on the right sub frame for the front fairing. I did not find any photos for the front location there might have been one or two in the tail section but nothing on how it was secured to the bike except I think I read some had zip tied it to the rear frame rail. I had done the same. (Mistake!)

In my defense I temporarily secured the unit because I wanted to make sure it would work first before figuring the best way to fasten it to the bike and I wanted also to make sure the cable would not interfere with the seat. Don't thread it under the seat rail bar. That creates a bend in the cable and it won't pull smoothly. You can see in the attached photo the position of the cable and it won't interfere with the seat in that location.

The servo must be secure, use the supplied bracket and fasten it like I have done. If you don’t the servo will move and cause the unit to hunt for a speed meaning it will speed up out of control slow down and then jerk back up to a fast speed. ( It was very easy to do I drilled two holes and used self tapping screws. One needed a washer because the holes on the bracket are various diameters) Make sure when you drill the holes you are clear of the latch cable under the rail.

Be careful how you install the magnets, it’s easy to get a couple of them facing the wrong way and they will cancel and confuse the sensor. (I made that mistake!) This will also cause the servo to hunt for a speed.

In my reading I found that I was not alone with respect to the hunting and surging, the only person that posted his solution was a fellow from New Zealand and he adjusted the gap of the sensor to the magnets. I mention that in my install notes.

Unfortunately, there hasn’t been a definitive install written up for the ST 1100 except Reg Siemens did go into some depth and it is from his, that I was able to deal with making an arm and cutting the snorkel from the air filter. He may have mentioned how he secured the servo, but his install instructions disappeared.

Over the winter I may have a chance to go into more detail of the wiring with regards to the GW1500 switch pod. I will post the wiring diagrams I have.

I tested the bike out today after having permanently fastened the servo. It is super smooth holds the speed within a couple of kms/h. I’m loving it.

Attachments

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
When I installed the Rostra on my Nighthawk, I used four nylon cable ties (only size of UV-resistant ones I had) to hold the four little magnets that came with the kit around the perimeter of the drive-cushion side of the rear wheel.

1605838740555.png

I attached the pick-up coil bracket to the swing-arm with a chain-guard bolt , with the bend in the bracket wrapped around the back of the rear sprocket, so the head of the coil bolt actually points toward the front of the bike.

The 1100 seems to have a similar shape, although I haven't looked that closely at mine.

1605839135646.png

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
I have more of a follow up on my installation, and I will also reflect on the mistakes I made so that others won’t go down the same path.

In my search for issues that I had with the Rostra I went through close to 600 plus posts that were about various installations. For the most part there seemed to be two locations to install the servo the most common being in the tail section and a few had installed it on the right sub frame for the front fairing. I did not find any photos for the front location there might have been one or two in the tail section but nothing on how it was secured to the bike except I think I read some had zip tied it to the rear frame rail. I had done the same. (Mistake!)

In my defense I temporarily secured the unit because I wanted to make sure it would work first before figuring the best way to fasten it to the bike and I wanted also to make sure the cable would not interfere with the seat. Don't thread it under the seat rail bar. That creates a bend in the cable and it won't pull smoothly. You can see in the attached photo the position of the cable and it won't interfere with the seat in that location.

The servo must be secure, use the supplied bracket and fasten it like I have done. If you don’t the servo will move and cause the unit to hunt for a speed meaning it will speed up out of control slow down and then jerk back up to a fast speed. ( It was very easy to do I drilled two holes and used self tapping screws. One needed a washer because the holes on the bracket are various diameters) Make sure when you drill the holes you are clear of the latch cable under the rail.

Be careful how you install the magnets, it’s easy to get a couple of them facing the wrong way and they will cancel and confuse the sensor. (I made that mistake!) This will also cause the servo to hunt for a speed.

In my reading I found that I was not alone with respect to the hunting and surging, the only person that posted his solution was a fellow from New Zealand and he adjusted the gap of the sensor to the magnets. I mention that in my install notes.

Unfortunately, there hasn’t been a definitive install written up for the ST 1100 except Reg Siemens did go into some depth and it is from his, that I was able to deal with making an arm and cutting the snorkel from the air filter. He may have mentioned how he secured the servo, but his install instructions disappeared.

Over the winter I may have a chance to go into more detail of the wiring with regards to the GW1500 switch pod. I will post the wiring diagrams I have.

I tested the bike out today after having permanently fastened the servo. It is super smooth holds the speed within a couple of kms/h. I’m loving it.
I'm still debating adding C/C to my ST1300. A buddy of mine is retiring next year and we are planning a cross-country trip from the left coast of the US, across the States then northeast to St. Johns Newfoundland and back through Canada to Prince Rupert BC and finally home through Port Angeles, WA.

Since the intent is to avoid Freeways and large cities my quandary is: how useful is C/C on secondary roads? Given that I'll be 75 then I'm planning to stop every couple of hours, more often if there is wonderful scenery or animals to photograph. I've made this trip several times before when I was in my 20s and 30s but I'm sure things have changed drastically since then.

Any suggestions from you or anyone else on the group will be very much appreciated.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
how useful is C/C on secondary roads?
I find it very useful. Unless the road is full of twisties. Most secondary roads are fairly straight with gentle curves and engaging cruise control at a few mph above the posted limit will unlikely cause issue.
It is especially useful in safety zones where fines are doubled. It is very easy on the ST to surpass the posted limit. In Ontario if you exceed the limit by 30mph your vehicle will be impounded for a week and you will loose your privilege to drive and be fined up to $10k

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I installed the Rostra on my Nighthawk, I used four nylon cable ties (only size of UV-resistant ones I had) to hold the four little magnets that came with the kit around the perimeter of the drive-cushion side of the rear wheel.
Most cruise controls for the ST1100 put the proper sized magnet in the heads of the disc bolts.

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
I find it very useful. Unless the road is full of twisties. Most secondary roads are fairly straight with gentle curves and engaging cruise control at a few mph above the posted limit will unlikely cause issue.
It is especially useful in safety zones where fines are doubled. It is very easy on the ST to surpass the posted limit. In Ontario if you exceed the limit by 30mph your vehicle will be impounded for a week and you will loose your privilege to drive and be fined up to $10k
Thank you for your input. Other questions popped into my mind: given how the C/C unit cable is attached to the throttle, does the twist grip turn when the C/C unit is compensating for hills
and if so where do you rest your hand?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Other questions popped into my mind: given how the C/C unit cable is attached to the throttle, does the twist grip turn when the C/C unit is compensating for hills
and if so where do you rest your hand?
It does, because of the closed-loop, dual-cable setup.

Your hand can stay where it is or wherever you rest it.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
does the twist grip turn
As Larry explained above it does move, but really not that noticeable. Once you’ve set your speed, the throttle moves ever so slightly to maintain the target setting. You may notice it more when riding uphill.
I will have a looser grip on the bar, or rest my hand more on the bar weight. Then I might use the opportunity to stretch my hand and arm, and just ride with my left hand gripping the bar.

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Thanks for the replies, folks. The balance in weighing the pros and cons has now shifted to the pro side. I'll be gathering the bits together for an early spring installation.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
Check out the installations for the 1300, I believe you can get the speed via the ECM and do away with the wheel sensor. You may need a pulse divider if you go that route.

here's a link that might be helpful to you.
Life kind of got in the way for a couple of months and I'm now back to gathering up the kit to install CC on my ST1300. I was reviewing the well-done manual from your link and tried to find the Rostra kit based on the URL in the manual. Unfortunately, that page is now dead-ended. Is there a particular kit you would recommend? Some of the newer kits are for drive by wire so obviously those won't work. Older Honda car kits perhaps?

Last edited:
Top Bottom