It is with heavy heart, Paulcb - 2022-05-26

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow. Well done, I am sure his family really appreciated you making the effort. You're a man of character sir.
Well, I reckon I have been told that I am quite the character sometimes .... :biggrin:

I figure if things were 'reversed', Paul would have done the same thing for me.
He was just that kind of guy.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
RIP Paul. I was fortunate to meet you, talk and ride with you on several occasions.

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
Paul and his accident has been on my mind a lot since we got the news. I'm not sure if knowing more of what happened makes it better or worse...

I stood in a parking lot yesterday talking with a friend who recently bought a Honda NC700 to help with the insane fuel costs his daily driver (a Dodge 2500 Cummins) was racking up. We were discussing the risks of motorcycling and matching what best practices on paper might be to the unknown of the real world and how to expect the unexpected. Obviously Paul was on my mind the entire time.

When I was a freshman in college, a close friend of mine from High School was struck and killed by a mini-van in a freak accident while he was jogging in his neighborhood. He was a cross country runner and soccer player all through High School. In excellent physical condition, out doing what he loved, and never made it home. He was 19.

Another graduate from the same school, several years later, was on a mission trip with his church to Mexico. Sitting on a park bench, a tree branch fell and killed him instantly. He was 25.

I often think about those two classmates, and how no amount of planning, preparation, doing things differently, or anything really in their control could have added a minute to their lives (no matter the 'what-ifs'). Life makes no guarantees regarding safety or longevity.

I'm sure the vast majority of us here are well past the hooligan stage of our motorcycling career, and we no longer routinely make poor decisions that could potentially impact our life and safety. We want to make good decisions and be responsible riders. We want to be more proficient this year than we were last year. We might still get the nervous questions from family members or friends when something like this happens, or when we set out for a multi-day trip. We may even feel those nagging questions in the back of our minds when we gear up and walk out the door.

At the end of the day, we have weighed the risks and decided that we cannot forgo living in order to stay alive.

Last edited:
Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Crap. My condolences go out to his family. I met Paul in MNSTOC he was a nice guy, also following his new bike's trip home. Very sad!

Bike
2000 ST1100
By the grace of God go I. I truely believe this on a daily bases. With human beings we are finite beings meaning your number could come up at anytime. Savor your family and friends and realize the more important things in life. I did not know Paul personally but I get the feeling his motorcycling hobby he knew the risk as we all do. And he wasn't going to give it up just like the 100 percent of the members here. Remember he is not truely gone as he lives in our hearts and our minds. And we will ride again with him someday when its our turn to go home to heaven.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I did not know Paul personally but ...
I know all the posts from members here are sincere but...

One of my first ST Owners rides was to Putts funeral after meeting him at Moonshine. I personally knew him, Terry, Bob, Karl, Sally, Mark, Glenn, Bruce, Jim, Doug, and Paul (AKA: ACL, Bdonaldson, Kdt1911, Mstgsally, Bigmak96, Pappa, Fnmag Brusky, Jammaman, PaulCB) and probably a couple more deceased members.

I wish I knew each one of them better personally. Occasionally step away from the keyboard and actually meet other members while you can. :thumb:

Tom

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

One of my first ST Owners rides was to Putts funeral after meeting him at Moonshine. I personally knew him, Terry, Bob, Karl, Sally, Mark, Glenn, Bruce, Jim, Doug, and Paul (AKA: ACL, Bdonaldson, Kdt1911, Mstgsally, Bigmak96, Pappa, Fnmag Brusky, Jammaman, PaulCB) and probably a couple more deceased members.

I wish I knew each one of them better personally. Occasionally step away from the keyboard and actually meet other members while you can. :thumb:

Tom
Yup... ditto... I know some folks want events that have 100s in attendance... however, I find the ones with just a few attendees actually gives you the opportunity to sit down and meet, talk, know someone ..

Bike
2000 ST1100

Tom
This is so true my friend.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Tom
That's the reason I hug folks when I can - you never know what life will bring your way or their way.

Top Bottom