it looks like I bent frame a little on my st1100

Bike
ST1100
Rode about 3000 km at last ride with overloaded top case. As a result I have bent rear frame - first, because a discovered a gap between tail plastic and seat, and also, gaps between pieces of plastic not parallel anymore.

So the question is, what to do? Does our frame have tail subfame or whole frame is done in one piece? Strip down tail and just try to bend it back?

Screenshot 2022-10-03 152509.png

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
You probably cracked the subframe, very easy to replace. Part is available used on eBay. Once you replace that part consider the rack from Ukraine which distributes the weight of the top box to other points on the frame. The rack is also available on eBay and has the option of hardware to adapt to GIVI type top boxes

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
As above, subframe is cracked. You can order a part, new or used, or you might be able to repair the part by welding it back together and then perhaps welding some strapping or fashion and weld a strip of metal across the area where it cracked. You'll see what I mean when you take the plastic off. Do the non cracked side as well to insure against a future issue.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The suggested weight limit for the rack is fairly low. Most everyone, including myself, ignore that limit to some extent. Overloading doesn't seem to crack everyone's support member, but it does happen. If My wife and I did lots of camping trips on the bike, I'd fit the rack assembly Pop Pop mentioned above. The ST can handle the weight well, so long as you have a good packing technique. don't raise the center of gravity too much.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
The suggested weight limit for the rack is fairly low. Most everyone, including myself, ignore that limit to some extent. Overloading doesn't seem to crack everyone's support member, but it does happen. If My wife and I did lots of camping trips on the bike, I'd fit the rack assembly Pop Pop mentioned above. The ST can handle the weight well, so long as you have a good packing technique. don't raise the center of gravity too much.
And! Have i told you just how bad assed my rack looks?

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
You can order a part, new or used,
As I understood, tail subframe is bolted on. Good news) I'll strip plastic and assess damage, maybe, it will be easier to restore it on the workshop. For future trips Id better use rack, thanks, Pop Pop, for suggestion.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
As I understood, tail subframe is bolted on. Good news) I'll strip plastic and assess damage, maybe, it will be easier to restore it on the workshop. For future trips Id better use rack, thanks, Pop Pop, for suggestion.
U can prob get one here. There are a few guys that own them but don’t use them.
With the russia ucraine thing going on, I don’t know if you can order one.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
U can prob get one here. There are a few guys that own them but don’t use them.
With the russia ucraine thing going on, I don’t know if you can order one.
I occasionally order things from Ukrainian sellers via Ebay. Always contact them before ordering and make sure they're still in business. That can change in a moment and there is some risk.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Some folks pull the rack, weld it back together and then weld in some reinforcements.
Sometimes when it cracks, it also cracks the tailpiece.
Also, check the two big nuts that in inside the tailpiece that they are tight.
Sometimes they will work loose.

Top Bottom