Itchy Boots

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I've watched all of her seasons and just last week got caught up.
Her current trip through NW Africa has me thinking while watching that the area is a place I would NEVER want to ride. The vehicles with complete disregard for lanes, the absence of good, reliable fuel are the two main reasons. She's definitely an adventurer.

Skip

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Agreed. Watching her in town, whether India, Africa, or South America... you take your life in your hands in city traffic. Of course you do here in the States as well, but generally Americans are a little better at staying in a lane, and somewhat following the traffic signals.
And I'm sure that factors into her preference to travelling alone out in the wilderness.
Hey, watch out! That water buffalo just crossed over the centerline!

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Yeah, definitely in any major city over there it's just a free-for-all! Even on back roads...it's a two lane and she's obviously coming and cars, motorcycles and tractor trailers just pull out to pass something and she just has to move over to the side of the road many times not more than a foot or two from a head on collision. It seems 100% more dangerous than stateside riding.
There's been more than one episode where she's passing miles and miles of tractor trailers (lorries?) that are stopped in the driving lane. She can have it!! I'll watch from my desk chair thank you.

Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I mentioned this YouTube channel in another post, but I thought it deserves it’s own thread. This channel was recommended to me a couple of months ago. The author Noraly is a young Dutch rider who chose a Royal Enfield Hymalian as her STead. The format of her videos is perfected over time and they are a treat to watch. This season she encorporates the use of a drone, which enhances the viewing pleasure. She has a great sense of adventure, engages with the locals, and it’s uplifting. The videos are generally under twenty minutes, so you can easily watch them on a lunch break or extended coffee break.
For us folks who have put away our bikes for the season,
I think it’s worth checking out.
I found her channel quite inspiring, watching it with my wife and our youngest kid. Seeing the progress of video format advances from her first video to the last is very interesting. This inspired me to start my own riding YouTube channel, concentrating on short videos highlighting interesting spots on the map. I visited this forum now to post on this in another section, but saw your post and had to respond.
Cheers.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The difference in riding in many countries, compared to here in NA, is the fact that bikes and motorcycles are given the same "respect" as other vehicles. In other words, drivers are used to them, look for them, and treat them as "equals" for lack of a better word. It looks chaotic and intimidating but in actual practice, once you get used to it, is quite doable. You certainly have to adjust your parameters of "safe distance" though; think inches instead of feet. And you have to be a bit aggressive. If you wait for what we consider a "safe" space here, you will be waiting a long time in these places. And yes, lane discipline is pretty much non-existent but that can actually work in the favor of a person on a bike.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
In other words, drivers are used to them, look for them, and treat them as "equals" for lack of a better word.
That's readily apparent when watching footage of heavy traffic in Viet Nam. On the face it looks chaotic but there's a definite flow that isn't really hampered by the mixture of vehicle types. Really impressive.

I've been remiss in viewing episodes. I was put off by 25,000 Rats. No Noraly that's an adventure you can have all on your own.

Me I'll settle for somewhat selective armchair travel. I'll take a day ride on the ST but tread where there's not at least two-lane asphalt? I don't think so.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Her current trip through NW Africa has me thinking while watching that the area is a place I would NEVER want to ride.
Agreed. Watching her in town, whether India, Africa, or South America... you take your life in your hands in city traffic.
I think you adapt pretty quickly, especially if you are young. I rented a Vespa in Rome in '68 and was, at first, appalled by the traffic. Within an hour or so, I was scooting around like a native. I've driven in London rush hour ('69 - bike) and Paris (few years later, car) and had the same experience. Even downtown Manhattan, NY is intimidating until you realize the guy on your left or right is likely to swerve across your bow to the opposite side with no warning. Once you recognize the rules of the road (few to none, priority on the right...), you become more aware of the little signals cars and bikes give before they try to take you out make an unexpected turn. :rofl1:

I do think, however, that I would have major difficulty with the bureaucracy of dealing with visas, insurance, carnets du passage, etc. and all those soldiers and road blocks/checks.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You are missing so much sticking solely to pavement.
You're probably right but I've not the time or storage space or body for an off-road bike. Comfort is key at least do a great degree. Swapping the ST for some kind of dual-duty bike isn't an option. That's something I should have tried years back but if I were to replace the ST now it would be with a newish DCT Wing like jonjon and others have done.

But mad respect for those how follow an off-road trail or blaze their own. I'll watch the videos. :D

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I think you adapt pretty quickly, especially if you are young. I rented a Vespa in Rome in '68 and was, at first, appalled by the traffic. Within an hour or so, I was scooting around like a native. I've driven in London rush hour ('69 - bike) and Paris (few years later, car) and had the same experience. Even downtown Manhattan, NY is intimidating until you realize the guy on your left or right is likely to swerve across your bow to the opposite side with no warning. Once you recognize the rules of the road (few to none, priority on the right...), you become more aware of the little signals cars and bikes give before they try to take you out make an unexpected turn. :rofl1:
Agree...
Dense French, Italian, Spanish or Portuguese traffic follows it's own rules of engagement ;)
First few minutes I darted into Paris with a pillion she kinda cramped up back there, while I just flew along with the locals :biggrin:
4 lanes of cars going like 40 to 50mph, scoots and motos filtering through at 60 to 80mph...
Works flawless, but only in those countries/areas... I would not recommend trying such in Germany, the Netherlands or here in Austria... :oops:
The car drivers there are way too inattentive, dick-headed and malevolent...

I do think, however, that I would have major difficulty with the bureaucracy of dealing with visas, insurance, carnets du passage, etc. and all those soldiers and road blocks/checks.
I still avoid particular eastern & southern nations in Europe, over the possibility of running into some shady enforcement officers...

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Wow! I suspect she didn't let it go. When she produced the video and the authorities found out how worldwide her following is, they had no choice but to act.

Chris

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Wow! I suspect she didn't let it go. When she produced the video and the authorities found out how worldwide her following is, they had no choice but to act.

Chris
She doesn't seem the type to turn them in. More the laugh it off, got other things to worry about, and happens too often to get involved in every time type.
Worldwide following....but in Nigeria, with all other corruption....would it draw that much concern? As many 'judges?' are in the background, and stripping them of their shirts....what else?.....makes me wonder if nothing more than PR video to show the world.
:confused1:

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I don't think she turned them in, I think someone in that country was keeping tabs on her travels. Because she is a celebrity and if anything happened to her it would look bad for that country. I'm guessing it's like that for perhaps every country she rides through. As has already been said here, those guys were used as an example. I wonder if it made national news for that reason?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Couldn't understand a word the police chief guy said so I just turned it off.

She's let a lot of stuff roll off her and just goes on about her business.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I haven't been following this thread but incase this has not been seen here is a link.

My first job when I graduated as an engineer back in the early 1980s was in Nigeria. I worked for Schlumberger as an oil-well wireline logging engineer in the Niger River delta and being shaken-down by LEOs was an everyday occurrence. In fact, on a two-hour trip, you might be stopped and screwed-over half a dozen times. That is why we were forbidden to ever drive outside of town after dark (you could be dismissed for driving after dark).

One time, after I refused yet another demand for "dash" (the local lingo for a "gifty" of some kind) the copper got so angry that he climbed into my car and ordered me to take him to the police station where I would be booked and thrown in jail. Here, as best I can recall, is the conversation:

LEO: You are now in big trouble - you are under arrest. Now you must take me to the police station.
ME: Oh dear - I am so sorry. Well, it's a good thing that I don't have any plans for this afternoon.

LEO: You are in big trouble - you will stay at the police station for...two or three days at least.
ME: Oh goodness gracious - well, I don't have any plans for the next little while so that is OK with me. Besides, I have a good book to read.

LEO: No chop at the police station [that means there would be no food available once I got there - chop is the local term for "eat" and any kind of "food"]
ME: Well, that's OK - I had a big lunch, so I'm not hungry.

LEO: I tell you the way to the police station - drive ahead and take the next left turn
ME: No problem - I know the way quite well, thanks.

LEO: Oh - you know the way to the station - how so?
ME: The Chief of Police, XXX YYYY [I just happened to know the Chief's name] is a very good friend of mine and he gave me a tour of the station a couple of weeks ago.

LEO: Oh - you know the Chief?
ME: Oh yes - we have drinks together several times each month when we play golf at the Shell Camp.
[the Royal Dutch Shell oil company had a very large residential installation complete with a club, restaurant, bar, swimming pool and a golf course in the town of Port Harcourt where I lived at the time].

LEO: You stop the car now.
ME: Sure - OK.
[the car stopped]

LEO: OK - so you must pay a fine - and I will allow you to just pay me here.
ME: Oh officer - thank you so much for the kind gesture, but my friend, the Chief, told me that Nigerian police officers are not permitted to accept payments on the road.

LEO: Oh - then you take me back to my post now.
ME: Nope - I don't happen to be going that way right now.
ME: So, here is what you are going to do: you will get the he!! out of my car - now - and you will march at the double back to your post and don't you ever stop a Schlumberger car again. Is that quite clear?

LEO: Yessir!

He exited my car, snapped me a smart British Army salute and began doubling back to his post - a distance of at least 3-4 miles in 100+ deg. F heat. After that, every single time I passed that checkpoint, he would snap me a very smart salute as I drove straight-on through.

I must admit, I don't know what I would have done if he had called my bluff and we had gotten all the way back to the police station - but it would have been an interesting adventure I'm sure.

Now - as for Noraly...I must say that from my experiences in West Africa, she was incredibly unwise to have gone there. There has been a marked upswing in street violence and a huge rise in outright terrorism in Nigeria since the 1980-90s. As people may be aware, the Boko Haram Islamic terror group has kidnapped several thousand young women over the last decade or more for sex-slavery and they have murdered upwards of 50,000 people since the early 2000s when the outfit was founded.

So IMO, as an attractive European woman, she was in no small amount of peril - and there is no-way she would have been able to bluff her way through the way that I did 40+ years ago - if she had encountered the wrong crowd. I really believe there is a difference between courage and foolishness - and, based on my experiences there, I'm afraid that she has crossed that line.

Pete

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
My first job when I graduated as an engineer back in the early 1980s was in Nigeria. I worked for Schlumberger as an oil-well wireline logging engineer in the Niger River delta and being shaken-down by LEOs was an everyday occurrence. In fact, on a two-hour trip, you might be stopped and screwed-over half a dozen times. That is why we were forbidden to ever drive outside of town after dark (you could be dismissed for driving after dark).

One time, after I refused yet another demand for "dash" (the local lingo for a "gifty" of some kind) the copper got so angry that he climbed into my car and ordered me to take him to the police station where I would be booked and thrown in jail. Here, as best I can recall is the conversation:

LEO: You are now in big trouble - you are under arrest. Now you must take me to the police station.
ME: Oh dear - I am so sorry. Well, it's a good thing that I don't have any plans for this afternoon.

LEO: You are in big trouble - you will stay at the police station for...two or three days at least.
ME: Oh goodness gracious - well, I don't have any plans for the next little while so that is OK with me. Besides, I have a good book to read.

LEO: No chop at the police station [that means there would be no food available once I got there - chop is the local term for "eat" and any kind of "food"]
ME: Well, that's OK - I had a big lunch, so I'm not hungry.

LEO: I tell you the way to the police station - drive ahead and take the next left turn
ME: No problem - I know the way quite well, thanks.

LEO: Oh - you know the way to the station - how so?
ME: The Chief of Police, XXX YYYY [I just happened to know the Chief's name] is a very good friend of mine and he gave me a tour of the station a couple of weeks ago.

LEO: Oh - you know the Chief?
ME: Oh yes - we have drinks together several times each month when we play golf at the Shell Camp.
[the Royal Dutch Shell oil company had a very large residential installation complete with a club, restaurant, bar, swimming pool and a golf course in the town of Port Harcourt where I lived at the time].

LEO: You stop the car now.
ME: Sure - OK.
[the car stopped]

LEO: OK - so you must pay a fine - and I will allow you to just pay me here.
ME: Oh officer - thank you so much for the kind gesture, but my friend, the Chief, told me that Nigerian police officers are not permitted to accept payments on the road.

LEO: Oh - then you take me back to my post now.
ME: Nope - I don't happen to be going that way right now.
ME: So, here is what you are going to do: you will get the he!! out of my car - now - and you will march at the double back to your post and don't you ever stop a Schlumberger car again. Is that quite clear?

LEO: Yessir!

He exited my car, snapped me a smart British Army salute and began doubling back to his post - a distance of at least 3-4 miles in 100+ deg. F heat. After that, every single time I passed that checkpoint, he would snap me a very smart salute as I drove straight-on through.

I must admit, I don't know what I would have done if he had called my bluff and we had gotten all the way back to the police station - but it would have been an interesting adventure I'm sure.

Now - as for Noraly...I must say that from my experiences in West Africa, she was incredibly unwise to have gone there. There has been a marked upswing in street violence and a huge rise in outright terrorism in Nigeria since the 1980-90s. As people may be aware, the Boko Haram Islamic terror group has kidnapped several thousand young women over the last decade or more for sex-slavery and they have murdered upwards of 50,000 people since the early 2000s when the outfit was founded.

So IMO, as an attractive European woman, she was in no small amount of peril - and there is no-way she would have been able to bluff her way through the way that I did 40+ years ago - if she had encountered the wrong crowd. I really believe there is a difference between courage and foolishness - and, based on my experiences there, I'm afraid that she has crossed that line.

Pete
Excellent story, and I agree she is being foolish.

Top Bottom