Just ordered new Scorpion Battery YTZ14S

230cca, for $68

What's not to like, full specs and for that ridiculously low price?

What am I missing?

Why would any one NOT order this battery, why pay a LOT more?

Or am I missing something?

RCS

I don't know.

I'm a big fan of "you get what you pay for".

That said, I inherited a $80 battery with my bike in 2008 and it is still working and passes the load test. I will be replacing it in March 2011 with a Yuasa from Two Brothers regardless of whether the old battery still passes the load test.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Mine is working ok so far. This will be the 2nd winter.
Another off brand I had (rated at 190cca) was stinko.

OP
OP
Just installed it.

Did I mention the $68 INCLUDED shipping?

And it arrived in TWO days!

Shipping something that heavy that fast had to be $25.

As far as getting what you pay for, I get what you are saying.

But it comes with a good warranty and has the same cranking specs.

Maybe we often pay way too much (profit), thinking we are getting "more".

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
My Scorpion battery lasted two years. Stopped for gas last week and lost all power. Fortunately, there was enough grade from the pumps that I was able to roll start the bike. The battery worked for three more days until I replaced it. It will go directly to green when hooked to the Battery Tender. Terminals were both tight and clean so I don't know if the Scorpion is dead or tired:?

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
Two days not an option. Needed a new one pronto and Interstate had one. $150 OTD.

The old one lasted 4 years and 22k miles before only putting out 130A resetting the gauges when starting and barely cranking over. It still held 14v so it's death was deceiving.

Certain things I can wait for...tires, oil change, farkles....Electrical items that shut me down for the commute I will have to pay for.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
That's true most of the time...but not all of the time.

The first two Yuasa's that were installed in our ST had short life spans. The original one lasted about 18 months, the second less than 12 (warranty replacement for the original).

The Batteries+ lasted a little over a year.

There is a Scorpion battery installed now. Have to see how long it lasts.

No, there is no battery drain on the battery. I've gotten to where I don't trust the BP batteries, my fathers died a fast death in his Burgman 650 due to a bad cell after just a few days over a year. They were nice enough to do a warranty exchange for him anyway.

The Scorpion battery from BatteryStuff.com has a two year warranty and for half the price of the Yuasa, I'll take my chances.
Oh crap I about had a heart attack on this post.
I read my father died a fast death on his bergman but they exchanged it anyway. Whew glad your father is ok;)

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I saw the scorpion battery on batterystuff.com, it looks like a good buy. The other battery they offer is about $120.00 but the rating is the same. I need a new battery so why wouldn't I buy the scorpion...what could be the difference??
Heavier terminals???

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I saw the scorpion battery on batterystuff.com, it looks like a good buy. The other battery they offer is about $120.00 but the rating is the same. I need a new battery so why wouldn't I buy the scorpion...what could be the difference??
Heavier terminals???
Number of plates, composition of plates, processing of the paste, electrical forming of the plates, size of the buss connecting them...

So far the scorpion has worked for me. The batt+ one didn't, but it's a sample size of one.

Byron

STOC #
I know my battery is on borrowed time, 4+ years old. I couldn't find any Yuasa warranty info and the Scorpion is listed as 1 yr. The only technical information difference I could find is the Yuasa is listed as weighing 3.9 kg (8.59 lbs) and the Scorpion as 8.4. Don't know if it's a typo or it simply weights less do to case, plates or whatever. I probably need to make a decision pretty soon although I won't be down long as both batteries seem have quick delivery times.

RCS

I probably need to make a decision pretty soon although I won't be down long as both batteries seem have quick delivery times.
More than meets the eye. I learned more than I want to know about Yuasa since my last purchase a month ago. Apparently, Yuasa's are activated at the Factory and then shipped to distributors in the US where they wait to be sold to retailers and then the end user. To translate the manufacture date code one has to contact Yuasa directly. My new Yuasa, I learned after the purchase, was activated 10 months prior and sat on a distributors shelf for that period of time. Not good. Yuasa reps say that the distributors are responsible for maintaining the charge on all shelfed batteries. Do you think the distributors actually maintain charges on battery stock on the shelf. I don't.

So, while the Yuasa battery may be made with better materials try to find out when it was activated - electrolyte added to battery - prior to your purchase.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I bought the Scorpion, and I have had it two winters... but the last time it got down in the 30s... it was grunting and reset my clock/tripometer when I started it ( it DID start )
Looks like I may have to buy one again.. that price is hard to beat, its just up to you, If I could afford a Yuasa, I would probably go that way... just for the longer life... (and in the long run, the same price or less per year) but I will probably get the Scorpion again..:)

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
More than meets the eye. I learned more than I want to know about Yuasa since my last purchase a month ago. Apparently, Yuasa's are activated at the Factory and then shipped to distributors in the US where they wait to be sold to retailers and then the end user. To translate the manufacture date code one has to contact Yuasa directly. My new Yuasa, I learned after the purchase, was activated 10 months prior and sat on a distributors shelf for that period of time. Not good. Yuasa reps say that the distributors are responsible for maintaining the charge on all shelfed batteries. Do you think the distributors actually maintain charges on battery stock on the shelf. I don't.

So, while the Yuasa battery may be made with better materials try to find out when it was activated - electrolyte added to battery - prior to your purchase.
My replacement Yuasa came dry with the electrolyte in a separate container.

Top Bottom