Just ordered new Scorpion Battery YTZ14S

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Where did you purchase yours?
It was a warranty replacement from the dealer. I had also already ordered one from Tim @ TB and it came the same way. Tim was nice enough to take his back when I told him that my dealer had covered my original under warranty.

RCS

My Yuasa also came dry with the electrolyte in it's own container.
Okay. Where do I get in line for that and how long ago did you purchase the battery?

I purchased my Yuasa battery last month from Two Brothers and it arrived activated.

Byron

STOC #
That was an interesting battery test. interesting that high CCA does not always come out on top.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Just installed my new Scorpion. Installation could have been eaiser if the terminals on the battery were threaded instead of needing to run a nut up onto the screw....but...the bike fired right up and I'm not complaining for a total of $68.00, it seems well worth it. Two days delevery time as well, seems difficult to beat this deal.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Interesting battery test and all the comments that ensued. It would have been nice to test an OEM Yuasa along with it. There are some real world things missing too, like how some neglect their batteries by letting them get below 50% charge/12.3 volts. The battery experts say if you do that a half dozen times you have significantly degraded a battery's remaining life.

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
Well said, Ray. Lead acid batteries actually have to be left in a permanently charging condition. That's what regulated power supplies or good battery "tenders" do. For example, all of my batteries are on a regulated supply I built that keeps voltages at 12.8 - 13.4 vdc. This is enough to prevent sulphation without significant off-gassing of hydrogen and oxygen, which would eventually dry out the battery.

I'm also a great believer in you get what you pay for.

The Yuasa in the St has anchored plates and most importantly porous glass packing BETWEEN them which holds electrolyte uniformly against the plates, even below the minimum "wetting" level. This makes a huge difference in battery life and helps prevent leaks through the venting system. Many motorcycle batteries do NOT have this system, so be careful. If you're not using a Yuasa I suggest periodically checking the condition of the battery basket area for leaking electrolyte damage. I did a lot of frame damage to my bike when I changed to a Canadian Tire battery made in Taiwan. Piece of junk that cost almost the same price as the Yuasa. I'm back to OEM. Got it at Honda Powerhouse here in town.

I don't know the law in the US, but here in Canada I was told a new battery can't be shipped pre-activated. They're to be done at the destination site only then either put on the shelf and maintained or held as is until sold. Both the Canadian Tire and new Yuasa I had to activate myself. Neither retailer would do it unless I asked them to.

Ross

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Just installed my new Scorpion. Installation could have been eaiser if the terminals on the battery were threaded instead of needing to run a nut up onto the screw....but...the bike fired right up and I'm not complaining for a total of $68.00, it seems well worth it. Two days delevery time as well, seems difficult to beat this deal.

My OEM Yuasa also has nuts that must be run up onto the screw.
My new Scorpion is the same.
I don't recall seeing a bike battery that doesn't use nuts under the screw hole.

Your battery may have just had a nut that stuck to the top.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
So far the scorpion has worked for me. The batt+ one didn't, but it's a sample size of one.
I installed an Xtreme AGM Permaseal XTAZ14S from Batteries+ last May 10. When I started to leave for breakfast this a.m. I didn't even get a click nor instrument lights when the key was turned on. I'll be looking hard at the Scorpion if I have any problem with warranty replacement from Batteries+.

Incidentally, I replaced the Xtreme battery this evening with the old battery that it replaced (was still in the garage "hiding" at the end of a workbench). Headlites lit up when the key was turned on & it still had enough oomph left in it to start the ST. I don't trust it enough to leave it in the bike, however - it was replaced because it wouldn't pass a load test. :confused:

Bike
2003 ST1300A
You're right, just checked the old Yusa battery and it does have nuts that are attached to the underside of the terminals which does make installation a little eaiser...good observation...thanks.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I installed an Xtreme AGM Permaseal XTAZ14S from Batteries+ last May 10. When I started to leave for breakfast this a.m. I didn't even get a click nor instrument lights when the key was turned on. I'll be looking hard at the Scorpion if I have any problem with warranty replacement from Batteries+.

Incidentally, I replaced the Xtreme battery this evening with the old battery that it replaced (was still in the garage "hiding" at the end of a workbench). Headlites lit up when the key was turned on & it still had enough oomph left in it to start the ST. I don't trust it enough to leave it in the bike, however - it was replaced because it wouldn't pass a load test. :confused:
Batteries+ honored the warranty, after doing their own tests and confirming that it wouldn't take a charge. They now have a X2 AGM that fits the ST1300, model CYLX2-9. The store had some in stock, on sale for the same price as the Xtreme, so I got one of them, even exchange. The X2 has a 2-year warranty, and is supposedly designed & built to compete directly with the Odyssey. We shall see. The sales guy told me they've had a lot of the XTAZ14S batteries returned around the country, and are discontinuing that model.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Batteries+ honored the warranty, after doing their own tests and confirming that it wouldn't take a charge. They now have a X2 AGM that fits the ST1300, model CYLX2-9. The store had some in stock, on sale for the same price as the Xtreme, so I got one of them, even exchange. The X2 has a 2-year warranty, and is supposedly designed & built to compete directly with the Odyssey. We shall see. The sales guy told me they've had a lot of the XTAZ14S batteries returned around the country, and are discontinuing that model.
According to the Batteries+ website, the CYLX2-9 only has 8 AH & 120 CCA's.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
They are pulling your leg :(

The x2-9 lists the pc310 as an equivalent. They do not show the ytz14s on the equivlent list on their web site. 8Ah 120cca 6.3lbs of battery.

pc310 8Ah 310 cranking amps for 5 seconds. 100cca.
(If you believe odyssey cca testing varies wildly for manufacturing claims.)

The odyssey retrofit for the st1300 is the pc545.
14Ah 545 cranking amps for 5 seconds.
11.7lbs of battery.

The oem is listed at 11.2Ah.
8.6lbs of battery.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
In the my 2 bits category... Day 1) I decided it was time to replace the stock battery, researched for y'alls experience, made decision and called Two Brothers and ordered the Yuasa. Day 2) came home and the new battery was sitting on my doorstep, put in on the Battery Tender overnight. Day 3) installed it and rode. Thanks TB!

JZH

International Bodger
The Yuasa in the St has anchored plates and most importantly porous glass packing BETWEEN them which holds electrolyte uniformly against the plates, even below the minimum "wetting" level. This makes a huge difference in battery life and helps prevent leaks through the venting system. Many motorcycle batteries do NOT have this system, so be careful. If you're not using a Yuasa I suggest periodically checking the condition of the battery basket area for leaking electrolyte damage. I did a lot of frame damage to my bike when I changed to a Canadian Tire battery made in Taiwan. Piece of junk that cost almost the same price as the Yuasa. I'm back to OEM. Got it at Honda Powerhouse here in town.

I don't know the law in the US, but here in Canada I was told a new battery can't be shipped pre-activated. They're to be done at the destination site only then either put on the shelf and maintained or held as is until sold. Both the Canadian Tire and new Yuasa I had to activate myself. Neither retailer would do it unless I asked them to.
Nearly all motorcycle batteries are AGM these days; the only difference in technology being whether they are "factory activated" or not.

The glass packing between the plates you have described is a feature of all AGM batteries ("absorbed glass matt"); whether they differ significantly in construction is probably something for someone with a lot of time, money and a bandsaw to determine!

Factory activated AGM batteries (such as the OEM Yuasa YTZ14S and the Motobatt, among others) can indeed be shipped as non-hazardous goods, as the acid has been fully absorbed within the battery casing and the battery is effectively sealed against spillage (they can even be mounted sideways if you want). I think Odyssey calls their factory activated AGM battery a "dry cell", which is another way of saying the same thing. There is no free acid in an AGM battery (either type).

The non-factory activated type of AGM ships with an acid pack, and in that pre-activated state could be kept on the shelf for a very long time with probably no ill effect. But, these types of AGM should be pre-charged with an appropriate charger before being used, which is not as convenient as the factory activated type.

Ciao,

Top Bottom