Just submitted my paperwork for IBA (SS1000)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Inspired by the current IBR and the 17 year old girl who Bun Burnered from Texas to watch the IBR start on a 500cc...

I took off from WA through MT yesterday and came back with 1050 more miles on the ODO in 15.5 hours. Bike's ODO is off and Google says it was 1023... either way, it counts!

I woke up this morning and was going to make a run down to Biggs Junction, OR, to complete a 1500 in 36 hours, but had a headache and was watching the tempertures rise. I just didn't feel up to it... so I slept in. Maybe another day. One of the fuel receipt pics for the SS1000 yesterday had the temp at 104 degrees. Maybe I'm just getting old...

Organized all my stuff, pdf'd all the necessary files, scanned what I needed to scan, and emailed it all to IBA this afternoon. Of course, with the IBR active I doubt anyone will look at it for a while. But, I got an automated message that my email was received.

Never been excited about automated messages before...

Bonus Points: Passed @STRider on Mileage Tracker!

Last edited:
Is that all it takes? I thought you had to register and submit your route for approval, and have a start/stop witness

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
As technology has increased some rules have changed. Covid changed the witness rule. No witnesses required if you take pics of your fuel stops. You need a receipt with date, time, address, and hold it next to your odometer. Required at all fuel stops, your first and last are your start/stop times. Although, they'll still accept witnesses if you want to go that route. The rules say an ATM receipt will be accepted!

You still submit a route, but I think more for getting accurate mileage because we all know how off our bikes speedo and odometers are. They prefer straight line, but accept out and back routes. Lots of rules, but easily understood. Anything outside of parameters and you can still submit a route for approval. Otherwise, plan your ride, ride your plan, as they say. Other certifications still need preapproval, but not SS1000 or BB1500.

I used the IBA preferred tracker Spotwalla with the preferred Android GPS app Bubbler. Set Bubbler to ping every 5 minutes and it records location, speed, direction, etc, etc, and can overlay it on a map, effectively recreating your route.

You also keep a written log of every stop. Date, time (time zone), bike odometer, gps, location, and description. I kept a small notepad and each page had the info required... each stop had a separate page. If my stop wasn't a fuel stop, I noted freeway exit number and direction (pay attention as you pull off).

Lots of rules, but easily understood. Ask questions before you ride if you have them. It added a layer of complexity, but not difficult... stay organized. I kept my log notebook, pencils, and a camera, easily accessible. I followed 2 camera pics with 2 cell phone pics as a backup... super glad I did. Some were fuzzy.

I got in a routine pretty quick. Stop, start fuel, fill log book, print receipt, 2 pics and 2 pics, bathroom (OK, sometimes bathroom was first), bite to eat, liquid, back on bike.

The key is staying on the bike, not speed. Keep moving. If you have to stop, make it quick.

I learned a lot... and have a lot to learn. Looking forward to doing it again. Watching the pro's make it look easy.

Rules:

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Or just know you did it and don't need the t-shirt.... Just saying.... T

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congratulations. Enjoy the sense of achievement and start planning the next one.

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Congratulations. Enjoy the sense of achievement and start planning the next one.
I hear it is addicting... so... there is a Rally Master named Jason Jonas, the guy that does the Spotwalla stuff... anyway, he had a pretty cool SS1000 called The Storytime 1000. You put in 1000 miles provable in the traditional fashion, but along the way you have to pick up specific pics of items. You need to give yourself a fancy protagonist name, then get pictures of statues or art (or whatever) of an antagonist, a henchman, and there needs to be a mascot you take with you that has to be in all these pictures. There needs to be a quest or quest item (magic waterfall, sword, whatever) and some peril along the way. You also need someone that helps you achieve your goal.

Once you get it done you submit it to him and he writes up, in true storytelling fashion, your amazing journey as you single handedly (with your helper and mascot) saved humanity from doom. He turns it over to IBA and they issue the custom Storytime 1000 certificate.

I have 2 girls and we're already coming up with some places for Daddy to visit on the next trip...

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
Congrats on the SS1000!

Thread hijack:

My daughter and I did our first SS1000 this year also! CMA (Christian Motorcyclists Association) has an annual fundraiser (Run for the Son) in May each year. Normally, members solicit donations from their local communities and then on the Run for the Son day there is usually some short ride less than 100 miles or so for a celebratory event. Since we had been discussing doing a SS1000 for a while, we thought we would combine the two: solicit donations per mile on the 1000 mile ride. In addition, we decided to make it a Nevada event by riding 1085 miles all within the state, one very large loop across some very beautiful yet very remote areas of the state.

Iron_Butt_Tracking.png

We used a SPOT trace device to track our progress and provide a way for sponsors to follow us along the way.

Since we had never done this before, we knew we needed to practice we could work out any bugs in gear or bikes. The plan was to ride a 500 mile loop in Nevada, then a 750 mile loop around the circumference of the Grand Canyon.

Iron_Butt_Rides_All.png

My 10 year old son joined us on the two practice rides.

2021-03-18 06.46.45.jpg

Please note that for the 500 and 750 mile rides, my daughter (@StealthyNinja ) rode on her Ninja 500R. She was dedicated to that bike but we found on the return leg from the Grand Canyon that riding into a head wind saw the 500cc engine struggling to keep up.
2021-03-31 23.03.19.jpg
It was at that point I decided to upgrade her to a sport touring bike. We found a local 2002 ST1100 and quickly grabbed it.

Now, for the pics from the SS1000

2021-04-30 05.46.01.jpg
2021-04-30 21.54.58.jpg
2021-05-01 01.23.15.jpg

We completed our loop of 1085 miles in 21.5 hours. What an experience! I've already mapped a similar loop around Mississippi for my MS patch/pin. If you track the state line all the way around you can do 1016 miles!

OP
OP
Dale_I

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
She's going to love that ST1100. In fact, an 08 FJR and 01 ST1100 are the two horses in my corral right now.

Very cool to enjoy it with your daughter as well. Congratulations!!!

Congrats on the SS1000!

Thread hijack:

My daughter and I did our first SS1000 this year also! CMA (Christian Motorcyclists Association) has an annual fundraiser (Run for the Son) in May each year. Normally, members solicit donations from their local communities and then on the Run for the Son day there is usually some short ride less than 100 miles or so for a celebratory event. Since we had been discussing doing a SS1000 for a while, we thought we would combine the two: solicit donations per mile on the 1000 mile ride. In addition, we decided to make it a Nevada event by riding 1085 miles all within the state, one very large loop across some very beautiful yet very remote areas of the state.

Iron_Butt_Tracking.png

We used a SPOT trace device to track our progress and provide a way for sponsors to follow us along the way.

Since we had never done this before, we knew we needed to practice we could work out any bugs in gear or bikes. The plan was to ride a 500 mile loop in Nevada, then a 750 mile loop around the circumference of the Grand Canyon.

Iron_Butt_Rides_All.png

2021-03-18 06.46.45.jpg

Please note that for the 500 and 750 mile rides, my daughter (@StealthyNinja ) rode on her Ninja 500R. She was dedicated to that bike but we found on the return leg from the Grand Canyon that riding into a head wind saw the 500cc engine struggling to keep up.
2021-03-31 23.03.19.jpg
It was at that point I decided to upgrade her to a sport touring bike. We found a local 2002 ST1100 and quickly grabbed it.

2021-04-30 05.46.01.jpg
2021-04-30 21.54.58.jpg
2021-05-01 01.23.15.jpg

We completed our loop of 1085 miles in 21.5 hours. What an experience! I've already mapped a similar loop around Mississippi for my MS patch/pin. If you track the state line all the way around you can do 1016 miles!
What A Great Ride And Great Story!!!!!!!

John
CMA Chapter #889 CROSS

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is that all it takes? I thought you had to register and submit your route for approval, and have a start/stop witness
There never has been a requirement for an pre approved SaddleSore 1000 or BunBurner 1500 route though there are some basic rules to guide the route selection process. A family member or gas station attendant can be the start witness for these rides, they don’t have to be IBA members to sign the ride log. It’s a very simple process for introductory and qualifying rides and designed that way.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
A family member or gas station attendant can be the start witness for these rides, they don’t have to be IBA members to sign the ride log.
I didn't know that there was a requirement for actual witnesses and third party signatures? I thought that the receipts, containing date and time stamp, from the gas stations along with pictures to prove that the ride was done on a motorcycle was accepted as proof.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I didn't know that there was a requirement for actual witnesses and third party signatures? I thought that the receipts, containing date and time stamp, from the gas stations along with pictures to prove that the ride was done on a motorcycle was accepted as proof.
The current ride certification rules for SS1000 & BB1500 give an alternative to photos taken of gas receipts in front of your odometer and that is using third party witnesses in addition to gas receipt copies. In past rules versions the ride log forms had a space for witnesses to sign and no photos were required, just receipts and a start witness signature on the log. The current version of the ride log does not have a witness section but the alternative ride log has a witness section.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
John,

Congrats, and great job having your daughter ride with you... a ST1100 to boot!!! Great job, Dad!!! Now you're hooked! :biggrin: I hope you can spend more time riding with the kiddo... those are memories she'll remember and talk about forever!

I LOVED doing LD riding... absolutely loved it! I usually did my LD riding at night (I was the Ninja Of The Night for everything, Tags, LD rides... pretty much anything).
notn.jpg

Enjoy the time with your daughter. My years with my daughter on the back of my Wing (8 years old up till she turned 11, and I moved to my C14... never should have) left so many memories with the two of us... great bonding we had, and she still talks about our pie/BBQ/burger runs! She travelled all over Texas and Colorado w/ me, probably had 20k miles on the back of the Wing! :thumb:

Again, congrats!
Rob

Bike
2015 Yamaha FJR1300
Congrats on the SS1000!

Thread hijack:

Iron_Butt_Tracking.png

Iron_Butt_Rides_All.png

2021-03-18 06.46.45.jpg

2021-03-31 23.03.19.jpg

2021-04-30 05.46.01.jpg
2021-04-30 21.54.58.jpg
2021-05-01 01.23.15.jpg

I think we have an Iron Butt Saddlesore forming for 2022...

Screenshot_2022-02-15_21-03-22.png

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Meridian... :rofl1:

When I did my SS1K, I stopped in Meridian on the way up to Selmer TN to my inlaws place to gas up and smoke one. After I gassed up and moved over to the curb, I put the kickstand down and moved the ST to it's side... the kickstand folded up, and the ST fell over right up against the curb! It had 7+ gallons of fuel, packed with all of my clothes, and I was exhausted too. There was no leverage for me to get the bike up... it was o-dark thirty... I was thinking this was it as far as the SS1K. Then these two big guys came walking over to me, "Hey, you need some help?"... YAS!!!!!! :please1:

They helped me right the ST up... all I heard was, "What the hell do you have in the thing?!?!?!"! :rofl1: I slapped 20 bones in their hands and said go grab some cold ones... fired up the ST, and I was on my way! :oilleak:

Top Bottom