K1600 GT Riding Impressions

Bike
BMW K1600GT
Well, it's home and I've just started the break-in process. First impressions:
Power and lots of it...down low where you need it. Shifting is not as frequent as with the ST. Torque is bone breaking at the elbow joints. Very smooth, but still not ST smooth. The fly by wire throttle takes some getting used to, but smooth transitions come with very little practice. Sitting position is perfect. I'm 6'6" at 245lbs and have a 36" inseam. Bike fits like a glove, no need to add/change anything. I'm adjusting to the shift lever positioning, as it is somewhat different in terms of my foot position than the ST. One thing that I must get over...that's looking at the display too much. I think it's because it's new and I want to know what's going on. It provides a lot of info. I have confined my riding to less populated roads so I don't smack into someone while looking at gauges and displays. The suspension system is very responsive and fully adjustable from a switch. The throttle response is directly related to the mode you are in (sport/normal/rain). The 7 gal fuel tank will allow a range to fill of about 300 miles or so. I purchased the top case as well. The luggage capacity is about equal to the ST, but the load range is greater. The K1600 has a load max of about 487lbs as compared to the less than 400 lbs of the ST. I had dealer install RP3's in lieu of the factory Metzler's. The PR3's will give me even better wet weather handling and tread life. The factory radio is ok, but really not worth the $$$. I'm running my audio and BT through Garmin Zumo 665 taken from my ST. Problem solved. The wind protection is more than adequate for me, so I will not change screen. Actually, my list of "stuff to get" is very small. So far, very early in the break-in process, there is nothing I don't like. In speaking with the dealer, the maintenance really isn't that bad. I will change my own oil, but take it in for major services. The big one at 18K will cost me 800.00. Regular service about 250.00. I will have this bike warranted for a total of 7 years along with wheel and tire protection. The really good thing is that I own nothing on this bike. I've been saving for a little over two years and along with what I sold another bike for, was able to pay in cash. There are still things I think the ST1300 will always have over BMW in terms of reliability and support network. The BMW K1600GT brings sport touring into the 21st century in a big way. More to follow.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Curious to read your $.02 about the adaptive headlight. That's such a cool idea, but I've read little about its effectiveness in real-world use. Motorcycle Consumer News found it to be less than advertised but the other magazines haven't said much except how it's designed to work. Let us know what you think about how it works in practice.

Enjoy your new toy.

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
I will change my own oil, but take it in for major services. The big one at 18K will cost me 800.00.
I purchased the same bike a couple months ago. Since I couldn't ride much until a couple weeks ago (due to o'l man winter) I have about 1,100 miles on mine. No problems so far. I debated about changing my own oil also, as i did with my ST, but decided not to because the dealer needs to "reset" the service engine light after so many miles and lights up again when it is due (so I have heard). I also read that ther are 2 oil drain plugs that need to be opened when changing the oil since it has a dry sump. I just decided to take mine to the dealer to have it done there. It would be my lucl that I would get it fouled up and damage the engine. Good luck and let us know how the oil change goes.

Des

Bike
'00 ST1100-P
That BMW is certainly an interesting bike, thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
Actually, even though I just love what BMW has done to this new K series, I will still always hold the ST1300 in very high regards. It does not have the gadgets, but it's rock solid and proven. That IMHO says a lot. I will still wait to see what Honda does next year, hopefully they have taken some cues from BMW and Kawasaki. I did ride during the late evening and the headlights work as designed. Great innovation brought to two wheels!!! Hopefully they and other high tech features will continue to work as the miles pile on. I understand from a friend on a new GTL that the tire change is a breeze. He has 18,000 miles so far and no issues. BMW seems to have gotten the 90 percent solution right out of the box with this. There have been minor issues but none that should be considered "safety issues or show stoppers". They seem to have addressed issues found on the K1200/1300 GT. There will be more to follow.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I have been considering the GTL or GT as well because my wife is not comfortable on the ST pillion. She loves riding on my buddies Gold Wing pillion, but I don't like they way they drive. I originally was thinking of the GT with a top case because of the lower screen and seating position, but it the pillion really any better? She did sit on a GTL pillion and we plan a test ride this weekend, but the GTL screen is too tall for me so I would want a taller seat and a shorter screen. Interested in hearing more about your experience. Thanks.

Dan

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If your wife has been on the back of a Gold Wing, I'd wager nothing else will be as comfortable. Rider has a Gold Wing/GT-L comparison test in the May issue...might shed some light, although I don't recall there being much about pillion comfort in the test. Motorcyclist has a Gold Wing/GT-L comparison here.

Only way to know if your wife will be comfortable is to go for a test ride. Also consider what makes her uncomfortable on the ST and fix that issue. My wife used to get neck pain and a better fitting helmet solved that. A better seat, floorboards instead of footpegs, cushier backrest, heated clothing...lots of ways to make the Mrs more comfortable.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
The rear seat appears to provide about as much comfort for "Household Six" as the Honda did. She loves it so far, but then again we have yet to do a long ride. What I can report is that the exhausts note is unbelievable!! Very Porsche like. As stated, the power comes on in any gear; no need to downshift to get plenty of passing power. I am doing all I can to keep the rpms varied while going through the break-in. Each ride I must resists the temptation to throttle up Warp Factor 5. Nasty day in the Northeast, wind protection was very good. More wind on hands than on the ST, but then again it has heated grips. Take a test ride at your nearest BMW dealer, but beware the power of the Force.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
I had the dealer install a Stebel Horn, I might as well asked him to rebuild the engine. This is what he had to do. 2-3 hrs labor. Had him do other things while he had bike apart. This is NOT your mother's Honda!

Attachments

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
I had the dealer install a Stebel Horn, I might as well asked him to rebuild the engine. This is what he had to do. 2-3 hrs labor. Had him do other things while he had bike apart. This is NOT your mother's Honda!
Ah DAMN!!!!!

What else did you have him do?

JD

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
If your wife has been on the back of a Gold Wing, I'd wager nothing else will be as comfortable. Rider has a Gold Wing/GT-L comparison test in the May issue...might shed some light, although I don't recall there being much about pillion comfort in the test. Motorcyclist has a Gold Wing/GT-L comparison here.

Only way to know if your wife will be comfortable is to go for a test ride. Also consider what makes her uncomfortable on the ST and fix that issue. My wife used to get neck pain and a better fitting helmet solved that. A better seat, floorboards instead of footpegs, cushier backrest, heated clothing...lots of ways to make the Mrs more comfortable.
The local dealer had and open house but had sold hi only GTL and was not able to get either a GT or GTL in on time...not very confidence inspiring. Thanks for the advice Bones, we are trying an AirHawk 2 cushion this week and we'll see how that goes. I'm not quite ready to send the pillion seat away to be customized but...

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
The GT or GTL for that matter, cannot compete with the Gold Wing in passenger comfort. The GT and GTL are not bad. I will say this....the pilot seat is much improved over the K1300GT which was like sitting on a brick. I've spent 4 hours in the saddle on this one and still feel comfortable. I see no need for me to get an aftermarket seat. Also the communications package on the Wing is clearly superior to the GT/GTL (it's not even close) My work around was to install a Garmin Zumo 665 instead of the BMW Nav IV. My bluetooth works perfectly and I have wireless comms with Household 6. I bought the Nolan N-104 with N-com B4 bluetooth. Much cheaper than the Schuberth. In terms of performance, the Wing is outclassed IMHO. The K bike has a great range (300 miles), arm snatching power and torque, and has a larger payload capacity at 487 lbs vs 400 lbs. The Wing get the edge in storage volume. Both bike do what they were designed to do very well.

TPadden

Tom Padden
....the pilot seat is much improved over the K1300GT which was like sitting on a brick. ....
Oil, tires, helmets, and seats ...... of the 8 motorcycles currently in my stable only the K1300GT has the stock seat. For me it's all day comfortable :).

I would tend to agree with most of your observations, with the exception of the K16 not being as smooth as the ST. On the contrary, it's noticeably smoother in my opinion, and is generally regarded as being so, as well as obvioulsy being more powerful and refined.

What had impressed me, as you have pointed out was how good the ergos and seat were right out of the box. I hope this is a sign of things to come from BMW when they roll out the new RT in a year or so.

Enjoy the K16. It's really an amazing bike.

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
I think the ST trans is smoother in general, but the K1600 does reward you with silky smooth ones when you pre-load the clutch just right. The low speed shifting is a different matter, somewhat notchy no matter how well the shift is

Top Bottom