K1600 GT Riding Impressions

I think the ST trans is smoother in general, but the K1600 does reward you with silky smooth ones when you pre-load the clutch just right. The low speed shifting is a different matter, somewhat notchy no matter how well the shift is
No question, the ST transmission is smoother. I have found a touch of pre-load on the shifter and partial clutch engagement also provides very smooth shifting.

The K16 transmission always shifted nice and positively, it was just a bit noiser than I would have preferred, but that is nit picking to an extent. It never detracted from the riding experience.

Bike
04 ST1300
I was in Paris in January and encountered the GT ,driven by a couple. It was my first sighting, had to wait for the couple to dismount and go shopping to snap the pic. Awesome bike.
We have an African proverb that says, the camels tail is far from the ground.

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
Just completed a 2000 mile trip through PA, MD, VA, NC, and TN. Zero issues. Fuel range was excellent at 280 miles per tankful. That was with two up and fully loaded. The only issue was a sore butt from "Household Six" and an air hawk pad solved that issue. Drove through several hours of rain. The Michelin PR3's track true and inspire great confidence in bad weather. They have about 4000 miles on them and show no signs of wear. Stopped by a couple of dealerships in route, just to "window shop". All staffs were very friendly and responsive. The adaptive headlight is no gimmick, I had a chance to really see it in action while in the Smokey Mountains of TN. The function is very responsive and does serve to provide visibility around corners. I have used zero oil in 3500 miles. The wind protection is on par with the ST1300. In the end, riders want to know if it is worth the price of admission; for me the answer was yes. BMW has hit a grand slam with this one. I hope that Honda takes notice and brings the ST to the next level. The competition will be a benefit to all.

Bike
BMW R1200RT
The headlights may work well at night, but you are nearly invisible to other traffic in the daytime. A riding friend got one a few months ago, and we have logged many miles together since then. When he is behind me his lights just don't show up. Those halo rings around the high beams are much dimmer than what BMW puts on the cars and SUVs, and the adaptive headlight might as well be pointing at the ground. It might be too high in color temperature; perhaps a little more yellow would show up better. My friend added Denalis down on the forks, and now I can see him. It's not just that one bike -- every K1600 I meet on the road is the same way. It's a safety issue, and I hope BMW addresses it.

If you don't have auxiliary lighting, you should consider it. Otherwise, use the high beams in the daytime. You will annoy people, but you will lessen the chance of someone pulling out in front of you. It's a great bike, and fixing this one little problem would make it better.

Ray
R1200RT

OP
OP
Bike
BMW K1600GT
Actually, I do have the BMW aux lights. But you have an excellent point. I have never really thought about it from a drivers perspective since I sold my ST1300 which was loaded with aux lighting. I always ride with a green safety vest, but I will be getting Glenda's thanks to your comment.

Thanks for the tip!!!!

Top Bottom