Keys and locksmithing : X265, HD109, special requests, etc.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can you replace a key for an OEM Honda "Briefcase" style topbox? I have no idea what the original key even looks like. Is there a number on the box or lock you can use to make a key with? Thanks.
Those are 'interesting' key blanks to try to find. I never found a locksmith that could match one because it is a bit of a strange blank. It sound like you have the 'short' version but I believe the keys are the same (I have the tall versions). If your lock looks something like the one in the pictures, that's what the key for it looks like (Hepco & Becker). IIRC, John O swapped his locks out to solve the 'key' issue. IIRC, I found 'Honda' replacement locks and keys here -

https://www.motobins.co.uk/

Attachments

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mine looks much cheesier than yours . . . more like a cheap suitcase key lock.
I'm pretty sure the replacement locks will work on that case. It requires drilling out two rivets that are replaced by two screws and nuts that come with the replacement locks. John O has the 'short' box like that and I am pretty certain that he replaced the locks with this kit (or a similar one from some other supplier). He would be the man to check with to be sure. The bases for the tall case and the short case are the same - it's just the lids that are different. Why Honda chose to put the 'cheesier' lock on the short ones we'll never know.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st-1300
Good idea to have a spare key made and carry it with you when touring. Learned that lesson the hard way, key snapped and I got stuck in rural northeastern Washington, and had to get towed forty miles to a town with locksmith - luckily the locksmith was nice enough to come in to his shop on a Sunday when he was closed, and fix me up. Wrote him a very nice Yelp review for that!

OP
OP
EJay

EJay

Newb to ST1300
Vendor
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hey everyone, adding to the knowledge here - an Ilco X261 makes an excellent shorty key. You have to move the shoulder back a bit and grind the tip profile to better match a X265, but you end up with a nice compact key that is only about 46mm long, vs about 75 for a full-length X265 or 62mm for a DA23. Its shorter and a lot less work than cutting down a X265.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Hello all - I'm a fairly new ST1300 rider, but I've owned a business selling key blanks (Motokeys) and doing locksmith work for many years.

I have most of the keys in stock you've read about in the various threads.

The key most of you will want is the plain metal X265/HD109. The best online price I've seen for those is about US $6.50 shipped (to US) for a pair so I will match that. Add $2 shipping to anywhere else in the world with a postal system.

I have plastic-head version that is $5.99 shipped (each) to the US. PM me for international rates.

Other products/services:
  • Originate new keys from a code (For HD109 these are codes J00-U39 or 8-digit 11111111-333333333).
  • Code work for most other applications.
  • 'Shorty' keys - I can provide a key to work in your bags and storage compartments that is a lot shorter than your ignition key.
  • Make a key from a photo of your working key. (Advice - take a photo of your working key before you lose the thing!)
  • Finding obscure keys for rare vehicles
  • Keys for other applications (home, cars, RVs, aircraft, etc)
  • Plastic-head keys
  • Keys for panniers/saddlebags
  • Padlocks that fit your house keys
where could I find the key code for my motorcycle?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You could have found it on the tiny metal tag that comes on the key ring on a new bike. If you never got that I don't think that number is recored anywhere.

A closeup pic of a key on good condition might allow a locksmith to make a duplicate. I think I recall ads claiming this but I don't know if anybody here has tried that.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The original selling dealer may have it on file if they still have the records of that sale. Assuming you provide proof of ownership I don't see why they wouldn't give it to you.
Honda will have it on file for sure but I doubt that you will be able to get it from them. Years ago a licensed and active dealer could submit a request to the vehicle manufacturer for the code and they would send it but only to the dealer- not to individuals. That all stopped years ago as it became apparent that this was being used as a method to get keys to steal vehicles.

When I worked at a GM dealership keys were not cut by tracing an existing key as is done in most places. The key code was set in a key cutting machine. To make a key you needed to set the code in the machine. Customers who came in for keys never had the code. There was a gauge for reading the code but the guys who took care of cutting keys rarely used it. With experience they could actually read the code right off of the key by eye they were that familiar with them. I see no reason why any locksmith who is familiar with the key coding system of Honda motorcycles would not be able to decipher it for you. Come to think of it maybe Honda has a similar gauge- might be worth asking at a dealer.

The guy who started this thread is a locksmith and has an ST1300 so he is familiar with Honda motorcycle keys. Ask him- maybe he can help you out.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
My NH750 has the code stamped on the body of the ignition switch, so they say.

From here: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/lost-keys-ignition-key-code.156758/

From there: https://onlinelocksmithstore.com/find-motorcycle-lockkey-code/

FIND LOCK CODE FOR HONDA MOTORCYCLE:
Honda

You should be able to find your motorcycle key code stamped on any of its lock cylinders.

THE LOCK CODE / KEY CODE WILL BE 3-8 DIGIT ALPHA NUMERIC
  • →Back side of the Helmet lock.
  • →Seat lock.
  • →Under the gas cap.
  • →On ignition cylinder back plastic (near where it meet the harness).

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Just an F.Y.I. for anyone who tries looking for their key code so that they know what to look for- Despite what the above referenced website states no Honda motorcycle that I have ever owned has had an alpha-numeric key code. They all have been numeric only including my ST1300- which is eight digits in length. As a matter-of-fact no vehicle that I have ever owned of any type has had an alpha-numeric key code- they have all been numeric only. This doesn't infer that there aren't alpha-numeric key codes but none of mine have ever been.

I never gave it any thought before but now I am curious to know if there are alpha-numeric vehicle key codes. Have any of you had a vehicle with an alpha-numeric key code?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Is it possible that what you are looking at is the code for the type of key blank?
I would be very surprised if the key code was stamped in to the key- it would make theft a whole lot easier as anyone could just copy down the code for later use. What you are describing sounds more like the code that defines the type of key blank and which is usually stamped in to a key blank, as opposed to the actual key code.

Bike
2009 ST1300
SPOT
LINK
The key most of you will want is the plain metal X265/HD109. The best online price I've seen for those is about US $6.50 shipped (to US) for a pair so I will match that. Add $2 shipping to anywhere else in the world with a postal system.

I have plastic-head version that is $5.99 shipped (each) to the US. PM me for international rates.
Hi EJay... I’m interested in three (3) plain metal x265/HD109, if you’re still open for business. Let me know how much and how to pay.

Thanks!

OP
OP
EJay

EJay

Newb to ST1300
Vendor
Bike
2006 ST1300
Hey everyone - 2020 got weird and I've been offline (and off the bike!) a while. I'm back and can send keys again (blank or cut). The ST is pretty easy to decode by picture so if you don't know your key code, I can usually sort that out by picture.

Bike
Blue 04 ST
Hello all - I'm a fairly new ST1300 rider, but I've owned a business selling key blanks (Motokeys) and doing locksmith work for many years.

Other products/services:
  • Originate new keys from a code (For HD109 these are codes J00-U39 or 8-digit 11111111-333333333).
  • 'Shorty' keys - I can provide a key to work in your bags and storage compartments that is a lot shorter than your ignition key.
  • Make a key from a photo of your working key. (Advice - take a photo of your working key before you lose the thing!)
  • Plastic-head keys
Can you cut a key for my top box Code # 039IMG_2258.jpg

Other products/services:
  • Plastic-head keys
I have 2004 St1300 and a 2016 . The keys and are awful and sticky and frankly cheap locks in the saddlebags . What is your email and phone number so I can buy some better keys and start with the short keys for the saddle bags ? Thank you Ran ddy858-9226267 and Lucky55states@icloud.com

Top Bottom