Knock, knock......

It looked like that to me also - you might have to have it sort of in place before you move the engine in.
As I said, I just didn't want to go through the hassle of trying it and then having to pull the engine again if I was wrong. ;)
Just to remind you in case you missed it, the alternator can be removed or installed with the engine in the frame, although you do need to remove the tank and swing arm. Maybe that does not suit at this time.
GC

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just to remind you in case you missed it, the alternator can be removed or installed with the engine in the frame, although you do need to remove the tank and swing arm. Maybe that does not suit at this time.
GC
I knew that (;)) but I am wondering about installing it WITHOUT removing the swing arm.
That's the big question when reinstalling the engine.
You can get to it and the three bolts easy enough with the swingarm and engine in place.
My hunch is you can but you would have to have it somewhat in place in the frame before you installed the engine.
The engine would go back in 20 times easier if the alternator was not installed.

Top Bottom