LED law change.

Flexit

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Site Supporter
Bike
1990 1100L + Sidecar
STOC #
That's good. I have LED H4's in both bikes. Will save me putting normal halogens in for the test and then changing back on return home :rolleyes:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Congratulations to subjects of the MOT. :D As I read that - so long as HID or LED...

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim
...they will be passed. Very good! The wheels of bureaucracy often turn slowly but the most important part is not how long it took but that it's "here".

That will still DQ (no not that DQ) any HID or LED bulbs that don't comply with the above requirement. That's a good thing. A sympathetic examiner might pass them anyway. Maybe not so good. But still – congratulations!

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Curious if you are going to change them up now, or if not will you when they come up for replacement?
I actually bought a new pack of Ultra Life's last spring ready for the Autumn 2020 EU jaunt that never happened. So I have still got them to fit yet. It'll probably be the time after that.
I still think although they will be legal in theory they may struggle through the MOT because of pattern, I'll discuss it with my tester in August.
Upt'North.

Reactions: Obo

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I still think although they will be legal in theory they may struggle through the MOT because of pattern, I'll discuss it with my tester in August.
If I have understood the multitude of posts @spiderman302 has made about proper beam pattern and what goes in to achieving it to enable using an LED bulb in a headlamp reflector designed for a H4/9003 halogen bulb, the F2 LED that he fine-tuned has the same beam pattern as an H4-9003 halogen bulb does it not? If so, it should meet all of the beam pattern requirements wouldn't it?

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
If I have understood the multitude of posts @spiderman302 has made about proper beam pattern and what goes in to achieving it to enable using an LED bulb in a headlamp reflector designed for a H4/9003 halogen bulb, the F2 LED that he fine-tuned has the same beam pattern as an H4-9003 halogen bulb does it not? If so, it should meet all of the beam pattern requirements wouldn't it?
The proof will be in the puddin at test time. I've never seen a tester skip this part of the test, even the one's I knew quite well. But if the LED works as per the H4 there shouldn't be a problem. But of course all LED's are not equal, some are more equal than others.
Upt'North.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Upt'North;
But if the LED works as per the H4 there shouldn't be a problem. But of course all LED's are not equal, some are more equal than others.
Part of the reason why I bought the G6 LED's- the first ones that spiderman302 fine tuned and recommended. If I were to purchase another set, the only ones that I would consider would be the F2 for the same reason- he has done all of the research and knows that this is the best LED bulb beam pattern currently available for retrofit in to a reflector designed for a halogen bulb.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The proof will be in the puddin at test time. I've never seen a tester skip this part of the test, even the one's I knew quite well. But if the LED works as per the H4 there shouldn't be a problem. But of course all LED's are not equal, some are more equal than others.
Upt'North.
I think the catch here will be the "headlight aim." This doesn't preclude an LED or HID just based on the type of bulb. A poorly aimed bulb will fail, regardless of the type.

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
What the 19th March notice does not tell our non UK readers is that LED or HID modified headlights has only been a FAIL since start of this year. Mine passed OK last March. Just as well my MoT tester is still on furlough or I would have been doing a LED out / MoT test / LED in last week.
He is back to work next week and we have already had a chat about the latest DVSA U-turn.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
A poorly aimed bulb will fail, regardless of the type.
That seems to be a well thought out part of the legislature. New tech won't be barred because it's new tech but only if it doesn't comply. And it compies with spiderman's mantra –

More light is better, if the light is put in the right place.​

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom