Led Strobe brake light on ST1300 2009

Good day ,

Does anyone has a reference Model # as Clear Strobe Lead Bulb to replace OEM Brake light ? or any suggestion to increase back Visibility ?

Last edited:

st1300doug

I installed a Whelen TIR3. Very low draw....3W and has 12 different flash patterns to choose from. Water proof- installs in mere minutes. No secondary FUSE needed.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Good day ,
or any suggestion to increase back Visibility ?
You can add aftermarket light bars that give you one more running/brake light. Look at redlyine's offerings. There are also LED light bars that go on the side cases and give you running, brake, and indicator lights. And there is also the night-rider tail light that has an oscillating LED on a light bar that lights up brilliantly when the brakes are applied. Look at Whelen's aux lights too.

Does anyone has a reference Model # as Clear Strobe Lead Bulb to replace OEM? or any suggestion to increase back Visibility ?
You can enter the current part number at this site, and it'll provide cross references to different types (optional) lighting

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
One of the first things I install on a new to me bike is a body mount LED strobe head that is triggered off the brake light. I have used light heads by Whelen, Feniex, and generic house brand sold by Strobes N More. Strobes N More carry all these brands. On my ST1300 the Whelen mounted exactly in the footprint of the red reflector on the lower rear fender.

st1300doug

I do have these....which I have not mounted on the FJR yet. Similar to the Whelen TIR3's.......except.....they flash BLUE & RED -alternating. Yes, some States maybe illegal......but, here......never had a problem. The PoPo guys know WHY you have them. TO BE SEEN. (Amazon: Speedtech Z-3)

Attachments

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I could see you having more of a problem, if those were on the front of the bike.
But some police have bad days, and actively look for reasons to write you (someone) up.
Really shouldn't be an issue at the rear of the bike.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I added a strobe module to mine (GS-100A strobe controller for LED stoplight), but not the strobe bulbs.
1609893685801.png

Currently the module is attached to 2 secondary red LED lights and not the main brake/ tail light. Cost was around $15 Cdn. I also upgraded the brake/ tail bulb to something much brighter and LED. Those were about $10 each. My thought process was more brake lights are better than just the 2 factory ones.
1609893845649.jpeg

Here's all of them on. Like I said the one under the top case and the one above the plate flash.

1609894163754.png

And a video in action...

If you're handy with a solder iron or wire connectors you could easily connect the flasher module into the OEM brake light system. It gives a couple of flash flashes, a couple of slow, then solid on - similar to some of the others that cost more. You would need to swap the incandescent bulbs to LED for this model controller as it's designed for the lower current draw of LED's.

Not the brake flashed bulb solution you asked about. All the ones I found online were continuous strobes and not just a few flashes when the brake was first applied. As such they wouldn't be appropriate.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I probably have 250,000 miles with red LED strobe heads independent from the original brake light that flash in a repeating sequence I choose. They never go solid and I’ve never been stopped or questioned by law enforcement. I do try and adjust a little play in the rear brake light switches so I can apply a tiny amount of rear brake without triggering the strobe when sitting at a nighttime traffic light, just enough to hold in place on a grade without flashing the motorist behind me.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
if you get the Whelen strobe look to see if it has the Signal-alert pattern:

"model includes standard Signal-Alert™ pattern (when LED is activated, Signal-Alert provides 4 bursts of light in 300 milli seconds before turning steady."

or look for one with 'California strobe' these will make the correct flash then steady pattern for brake light use.
I prefer the "Lin" linear lens over the Tir lens. The LIn lens makes a wider beam pattern so if you are stopped at an angle they will see you better.
bigger is always better than small. I have the LIN-6 light bar ( set to steady mode only) on mine with extra marker lights too. if I need to flash I can and do pump the brake a few times if there is some one on my tail.....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But some police have bad days, and actively look for reasons to write you (someone) up.
While that's true to some extent it certainly doesn't take a bad day or a vendetta to award someone for illegal lighting especially when that lighting is restricted to police vehicles. In the biz it's referred to as traffic enforcement and I highly recommend it.

When someone is making an obviously illegal equipment modification they should man-up up to the fact that it's a problem they've created and not that of a cop doing his J-O-B. Think of it as your taxpaying dollars at work.

There isn't anybody on this site who can't find their state's/province's vehicle codes to know if what they're doing is illegal or not. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances but it's all on you and not the cop. "The cops are cool when they let me slide but are jerks gunning from me when they don't". That's typical rider BS. I'm not saying don't color outside the lines. Just put on Big Boy pants and don't whine if stopped.

That said – as did dduelin I added a red strobe in place of the red reflector above the license plate. Mine was an older Strobes n More that also fit perfectly on the reflector's mounting pad. The reflector was moved down to the hole at the bottom of the rear fender. Not as many miles on the clock but I've been in 4 different states and haven't been stopped. I too try to limit the flashing when stopped.

CA allows for a very specific flashing mode for a strobe brake light. Mine is not in compliance but I knew that going in. It's no guarantee that I won't be struck from behind but it is effective. And if traffic stopped – well that's on me.

There are a lot of options for adding brake lights. I believe there's an advantage to having a dedicated brake light (that doesn't do double duty as a tail light). It's like having the CHMSL on cars and trucks.

I'm also thinking of adding dedicated tail lights. IMNSHO :D the ST1300 has poor tail lights especially in the daytime. Something like

This the the Denali B6 Auxiliary License Plate Brake Light. It also has a daylight running function. I saw one on a passing "little" BMW ADV bike and it was quite bright. I liked it a lot. AT $100 it's pricey. But it's some nice kit especially when used with a Canbus adapter on a BMW or similar bike. On the ST I may run the brake light as a tail light – at least in the daytime. That BMW stood OUT in traffic.

I've also got 2 of the GSA100 flashers that Obo mentioned. I plan on using them with dedicated brake lights and not with a tail/brake light combo. There are a lot of options out there.

Extra lights on the panniers are a good idea. It's just a matter of running power with a weatherproof quick disconnect when removing them. Having additional lights spaced far apart gives a better idea of your speed and distance to drivers approaching from the rear.

Of course this also makes a rider an easier target for a pair of .50cal cannons'
harmonized point. But like getting traffic stopped it's not very likely to happen. But I don't guarantee it.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm also thinking of adding dedicated tail lights. IMNSHO :D the ST1300 has poor tail lights especially in the daytime. Something like
I won't argue with your NSHO, but having come off a 2005 KTM 950, the ST1300 rear lighting is impressive!
Goes to show -- it's all relative. ;)

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
There's no need to install add-on lighting kits; these LED's have a built-in strobe function during braking and then go solid after a few seconds:

They're more than double the brightness of the stock bulbs and are plug-n-play. The problem with Hyperlites and similar setups is that they require modification to the bike's electrical system and, are hard-wired.

My '07 came with a set of the Hyper's mounted underneath the panniers, which required drilling holes THRU the cases both on the side and bottom to get power to the lights, which meant you could never take the bags off from the bike without yanking out the wires. Idiotic. Not to mention the mess of wiring and control units that were stuffed under the rear seat. First thing I did was rip all that out and install the LED's above.

I can attest that they absolutely do the job as twice now I've watched 2 cars slam on the brakes as they came up to my rear at a stoplight, as noted by watching the cars' front-end nose dive.

I after seeing that I added LED signals all-around:

It's the same bulb front-and-rear, the rear doesn't have the third wire for running lights. And boy are these guys ultra-bright! There's no question what your intention is when you've got one turned on. The only "issue" is that because the voltage is lower than the OEM bulbs they "hyper-flash", at least twice as fast as stock. But again, that added strobe effect makes them stand out. One guy actually told me from a distance he thought I was a cop because of the super-bright turn signal. I like that. haha

In my opinion, you needn't fuss with external add-on lighting setups; get these bulbs and you'll be more "illuminating" to those around you. I'd feel naked without them.
I disagree. There is a need to install auxiliary lighting. It's called being seen! I too have LED bulbs in the tail light. I also have every other bulb on the bike converted to LED. And, I guarantee you that the back of my bike with LED light bar, Hyperlites and LED tail lights is more noticeable than just LED tail light bulbs. And, mine is legal in all 50 states. See post #10

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2001 ST1100

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Another satisfied customer using the GS-100A Strobe Controller. (Thanks for the tips @Obo)
I used some 3/16" thick aluminum 3" angle iron.
Seems like an easy bracket to make but once I got started, I was asking myself why didn't I just buy some LED flashing bulbs? :)
My givi box already had a power supply tapped into the proper brake light wires for it and it was a soldered connection. My givi light doesn't work though for some reason, but I had power at the connection terminals. I'll have to investigate later.
I tapped in those wires a little further down the line. Not much room to get at the harness.
I had to remove the givi cover and use a dremel to shave the plastic a little to be able to lay in an aluminum piece. I drilled and tapped the aluminum and was real lucky to get the holes to line up perfectly. :)
I'm real happy with the placement and operation of the light.
Thanks to all who share their mod ideas!

Here's a video of the results.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom