Led Strobe brake light on ST1300 2009

David Fyffe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300/1978 GL
The Whelen police LED will fit perfectly in place of the reflector on the rear fender above the license plate.20210616_225405[1].jpg

Reactions: Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The Whelen police LED will fit perfectly in place of the reflector on the rear fender above the license plate.20210616_225405[1].jpg
My only thoughts are to ensure you add a rear reflector on the bike somwhere to allow anyone coming up from behind at night to see it when the bike (and tail light) is off.

st1300doug

Good eye. Yes.....I keep a 5"in. velcro strap ...that had the brake lever locked back. I keep such a velcro-strap for when I had a emergency stop on he side of the road- thus passing vehicles were seeing the strobe. Many cars move WAY over seeing that strobe- maybe tying it in w/a LEO light.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Good eye. Yes.....I keep a 5"in. velcro strap ...that had the brake lever locked back. I keep such a velcro-strap for when I had a emergency stop on he side of the road- thus passing vehicles were seeing the strobe. Many cars move WAY over seeing that strobe- maybe tying it in w/a LEO light.
I have a plastic strap I use as a cheap option to the Pendle Parking Brake that would do the same thing if I had my light setup to flash continuously. Having the light flash continuously when stopped like that on the roadside is a great idea I'll have to think about.

What I wanted to do is have my directions signals flash and alternate left/right when the 4 ways are on. I assume I need a flasher/wigwag unit and install it at the hazard switch wiring.

Something like this:

....I think I'm turning into Leon @Kaiser Swaghelm II :) :)

Bike
2001 ST1100
I have a plastic strap I use as a cheap option to the Pendle Parking Brake that would do the same thing if I had my light setup to flash continuously. Having the light flash continuously when stopped like that on the roadside is a great idea I'll have to think about.

What I wanted to do is have my directions signals flash and alternate left/right when the 4 ways are on. I assume I need a flasher/wigwag unit and install it at the hazard switch wiring.

Something like this:

I don’t know about your locale but here in Alberta flashing lights like that are not allowed unless on a commercially registered vehicle like a tow truck, construction vehicles or equipment etc. A private vehicle can only have amber flashing lights shining forward and red flashing lights shining to the rear (unless it came from the factory with amber lights in the rear [signal lights]). I would like to put 4-way flashing lights on my bike and I saw a thread here a while a go but can’t find it now.

st1300doug

Something like this:

st1300doug

Yep...the Techs. that install our Strobes call it a "Wig-Wag" resistor. Any place that does police-emergency wiring have the modulator. VERY inexpensive......like between $9~$15. :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'm thinking now my light is a bit too small and I may need to swap it out for something larger.
Strobe envy isn't pretty.

Obo said:
My only thoughts are to ensure you add a rear reflector on the bike somwhere to allow anyone coming up from behind at night to see it when the bike (and tail light) is off.
I have a Strobes n More light which actually is a perfect fit for the raised boss that supports the reflector. The dimensions of both the boss and base are exactly the same to the naked eye.

When I replaced my reflector with the strobe the reflector was relocated to the bottom hole in the fender. I believe that is for supporting the large plates some countries such as the UK use on motorbikes.

Mounted there it's a bubble off plumb since the factory mounting point is perpendicular to the ground unlike the low point on the fender.

I have a Pendle Parking Brake so my strobe can be steady on if need be. But I also followed a suggestion of spiderman302 and got a bicycle tail light/strobe that operates on two AAA cells. It'll function as a tail light with a slow strobe feature or as a fast flashing strobe. Stick it on the back of the bike and it'll flash a lot longer than anything hooked to the ST's battery. This way after an extended stop you can be sure the ST will start again.

Top Bottom