Lesson learned

Bike
2000 ST1100
It was a electrified fence some farmer put up to control his cattle. Believe me I felt it in my tender parts. About an motorcycle battery.....if someone want's to be a guinnea pig please post the results:rofl1:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I would not do that if I were you. Me and a hunting buddy were out in the field hunting rabbits. I had to go and stopped by a fence. Bad idea because that fence was electrified. Anyway lesson learned because whatever current in that battery will find its way to you know where.:(
Myth busters killed that old wives tale years ago in their "Third Rail" episode. You can't get shocked or electrocuted that way because the stream is not continuous. So unless you directly touched the fence with your underjunk I call BS.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Myth busters killed that old wives tale years ago in their "Third Rail" episode. You can't get shocked or electrocuted that way because the stream is not continuous. So unless you directly touched the fence with your underjunk I call BS.
Not so fast...
"MythBusters" also found that peeing on an electric fence can be a shocking experience. Because the fence is higher off the ground than a train track is, urine won't have time to separate into droplets, and the current can travel up the stream.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Electricity will always take the path of least resistance and jump around. That is what a short is. People get electrocuted by standing in a puddle of water that is energized by electricity. If the voltage potential is high enough electricity will arc through the air and electrocute you. Like I said earlier find a electrified fence and do that experiment and please let us know what you find. Or if you live in the city pee on one those high voltage rail tracks.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Electricity will always take the path of least resistance and jump around. That is what a short is. People get electrocuted by standing in a puddle of water that is energized by electricity. If the voltage potential is high enough electricity will arc through the air and electrocute you.
Not exactly. Electricity takes all paths (when there is more than one) between two points with a voltage difference; the current through each path varies inversely to that path's resistance. It is correct to say that the greatest current follows the path of least resistance.

Unless you're talking about many kilovolts, air will not conduct well enough to contribute to a shock or electrocution. The reason the earth contributes to shock is because we intentionally connect one conductor of our power system (the "neutral") to earth, like a vehicle's chassis.

A short circuit results when the resistance is so low that the current exceeds the circuit's capacity, and exposes the circuit's weakest link, which is hopefully a properly-sized fuse or circuit breaker. If not, then part of the wiring is damaged, melting insulation and causing shorts.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Got 10 years from my last AGM on my 1500 Wing.
Terminals cleaned yearly, no other maintenance required.
Always kept on a battery tender when parked at home.

OP
OP
Dbar
Bike
1998 ST 1100
Wow, this thread went to places I did not anticipate! The battery in question was purchased at Auto zone or some such and comes with the acid in a separate, multi-chambered container that you invert into the holes for each cell and squeeze until empty. Then you put the plastic strip over the holes and charge the battery (or maybe charge the battery and then put the plastic strip on, I don't remember). Is this considered a "sealed" battery? There is no vent with a tube attached like the old non-sealed batteries had.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Spoil sport......
not even close to being true, its voltage that determines current flow through any resistance, and 12v isn't enough voltage to do anything to a human, much less the 2v per cell that you'd be peeing into.

Top Bottom