List of available shafties

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I imagine this will be a short list, but for those that really prefer a shaft driven bike, it would be nice to see a complete list of what is available from all manufacturers, if the members care to contribute their findings. Scooters not needed to be included, but other small bikes yes.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Only current models available as of 2023:

Honda Goldwing
Honda Shadow Aero/Phantom

Yamaha FJR
Yamaha Super Tenere

BMW R1250 R/RT/RS/GS/GSA
BMW K1600 GT/GTL/B
BMW R18
BMW R nineT

Moto Guzzi V100
Moto Guzzi V85
Moto Guzzi V7
Moto Guzzi V9

Triumph Explorer 1200
Triumph Rocket

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The new triumph 1200 looks nice.

OP
OP
Bush
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hmmmm . . . maybe I should look at Moto Guzzi again. I test rode one a couple of summers ago - forget which one - and came away thinking it felt rather crude. Not very smooth, but it will be hard to beat a V4 for that.

Cheers Joe!

Bike
VStrom 650
Hmmmm . . . maybe I should look at Moto Guzzi again. I test rode one a couple of summers ago - forget which one - and came away thinking it felt rather crude. Not very smooth, but it will be hard to beat a V4 for that.

Cheers Joe!
Check out the Mandello.
Upt.

Bike
VStrom 650
As an aside the road from Lecco through the Italian South Tyrol and Mandello del Lario to Bolzano is one of the outstanding motorcycle rides in the world. It takes in The Stelvio and it's where these bikes are made.
You see a few Guzzi's up there.
DSC01819.jpg

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I know this could stimulate much debate but with the advancement in chain technology and metallurgy, I wonder if shaft drive offers much of an advantage anymore. Cleaning/lubing modern, sealed, O and X ring chains seems to be not an onerous task. There are still those that think chains need to be cleaned every few hundred miles, yet many chains go thousands between cleaning and then it is more of a cosmetic thing. One of the mods over on the Stromotrooper forum routinely gets 40-50K+ miles out of his chains (he keeps pretty good records and has over 300k miles of experience with the big Vstrom. He doesn't clean them but does lube them often.
Personally, I wouldn't let the lack of a shaft drive keep me from considering any bike.
Now, if you mix oil and tires into the equation..........:biggrin:

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I know this could stimulate much debate but with the advancement in chain technology and metallurgy, I wonder if shaft drive offers much of an advantage anymore. Cleaning/lubing modern, sealed, O and X ring chains seems to be not an onerous task. There are still those that think chains need to be cleaned every few hundred miles, yet many chains go thousands between cleaning and then it is more of a cosmetic thing. One of the mods over on the Stromotrooper forum routinely gets 40-50K+ miles out of his chains (he keeps pretty good records and has over 300k miles of experience with the big Vstrom. He doesn't clean them but does lube them often.
Personally, I wouldn't let the lack of a shaft drive keep me from considering any bike.
Now, if you mix oil and tires into the equation..........:biggrin:
I have come to the same conclusion. I love the virtually zero daily maintenance of the shaft drive. However, when it does need attention, and that is a matter of when not if, it becomes a larger PITA. Shaft drive is simply deferred maintenance. The biggest negative of chain drive was cleaning the WHITE wheels on my last street bike. As long as the chain drive bike has black wheels, and an oiler, I can see it being a non-issue. It would seem that belts are the best possible option, its puzzling they aren't more common.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The belt thing is a bit odd. Seems to be the best of both worlds. From what I understand, they are made pretty much the same way as cam belts are and they last a LONG time.

As for keeping the wheel clean, there are several "dry wax" type lubes that do not fling off. What little lube I use is the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Goes on easy and then drys. Does not fling off.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The belt thing is a bit odd. Seems to be the best of both worlds. From what I understand, they are made pretty much the same way as cam belts are and they last a LONG time.

As for keeping the wheel clean, there are several "dry wax" type lubes that do not fling off. What little lube I use is the Dupont Teflon Chain Saver. Goes on easy and then drys. Does not fling off.
Only problem is I don't think there are any manufacturers that have a belt option... Harley maybe?

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Only problem is I don't think there are any manufacturers that have a belt option... Harley maybe?
And that is the oddity of it. Why not? Expense compared to chain:shrug2:
BMW 800 road bikes (when they used to be available) had a belt drive. I put several thousand miles on an 800ST in the Alps. Couldn't tell it was a belt/chain/or shaft.

Bike
Honda ST1300 Pan-Eur
I used to have a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 that had a belt. Apart from the occasional squeak when moving it around on foot, no problems at all.

In the dim and distant I also had a 1971 Honda C50 Cub from new. That had a fully enclosed chain. I had it for a couple of years and I don' remember ever oiling the chain.

File picture.

th-2775686418.jpeg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
...... they last a LONG time.
My Brother in-law had a few Harleys with belt drive. Combined he did a couple hundred thousand KM's on them. He never had to replace any of them. He never even had to adjust any of them. He checked them regularly, but they were always within specification so he left them alone. All of them still looked brand new when you looked at them. I see belt drive as being preferable to a chain. Much quieter and cleaner, and seemingly doesn't need replacement or adjustment very often.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Isn’t it a major expense to replace a Harley belt?Maybe IGOFAR can chime in on this.I rode with Harley dudes a bit.They never replaced a belt,but usually traded before 70,000 (Km.?) before top end needed work.Their story, not mine as far as engine work is regarded.

Top Bottom