List of available shafties

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Only problem is I don't think there are any manufacturers that have a belt option... Harley maybe?
Indian Chief, Kawasaki Vulcan 900, Yamaha Bolt so yeah... basically relegated to cruiser styles, now that BMW has deleted the belt-driven 800.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Today's chains are fine if you don't ride a lot of miles. Otherwise, every 12-18 months you have to replace the whole drive system. (chain and both sprockets) to the tune of several hundred dollars.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Today's chains are fine if you don't ride a lot of miles. Otherwise, every 12-18 months you have to replace the whole drive system. (chain and both sprockets) to the tune of several hundred dollars.
I'll disagree.
Not to be disagreeable, but I've run chains into well over 30K miles, and it's been a long while since I rode that much in a year.
And consider there are those riders with multiple motorcycles, any given chain/sprocket replacement will be extended accordingly. My last comment; chain life varies vastly among riders, as do tires and gas mileage. Lots of variables.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, also depends on the bike and it's usage... a DRZ's chain isn't going to last long going down dirt/sandy/muddy roads... so, we need to sort of focus on the typical touring type of riding which is going to provide some good chain life on typical paved street riding.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
My sentiments exactly...
I'd rather apply some Moly on the splines, replace hub dampers every now and then and the f/drive oil every three years...

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
What Sadilsor said.

I have 3 chain drive bikes. All chains and sprockets are over 2 years old. All have 15000+ miles on them. None need replacing. In fact, all show very little wear including the KTM Adventure R that sees a lot of dirt and fairly hard use. The chain on my Blackbird is at least 14 years old (on it when I bought it in 08) and has 30K+ miles. Looks like new. I do not spend much time cleaning or lubing them. Out of guilt, I clean them before putting them way for the winter. Maybe lube them 3-4 times a season.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
it's sad. they used to make shaft drive bikes down to 500 cc like the CX 500
The GL500 and 650 (700 in Australia from what I've read) SilverWings were fantastic machines. The engine is damn near bullet proof. The shaft was smooth and quick. With the GLI touring package, it looked like a small Goldwing.
I've had two of them, and after the first I swore I'd not go back to chain drive if I could help it...
My last one;35121_1366815852210_5378357_n.jpg

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
What Sadilsor said.

I have 3 chain drive bikes. All chains and sprockets are over 2 years old. All have 15000+ miles on them. None need replacing. sees a lot of dirt and fairly hard use.... The chain on my Blackbird is at least 14 years old (on it when I bought it in 08) and has 30K+ miles.

I agree, you are not going to need to replace chains and sprockets if you don't ride each individual bike very much. which is why I said "today's chains are fine if you are not going to ride a lot of miles". If you have ONE bike, and it's chain drive, and you ride a lot on that ONE bike, you tend to wear them out fairly quickly. Since I retired in 2013 I have averaged 302 days of riding and 22,552 miles per year. I'm at 84 days and 4,200 miles already this year, and it's not "riding season" yet. Three trips are planned for later this year. If I run my average miles on my current chain drive bike, my chain and sprockets won't go 18 months much less 14 years. Of course if you spread your yearly mileage out over 3 or 4 motorcycles, each one will last longer, but in the end you will still have to eventually replace 3 or 4 sets of chains and sprockets, just as if you had run up the same amount of accumulative miles on ONE bike.

The leader on the mileage tracker is already at 15,000 miles this year, so a chain lasting 30,000 miles would make it maybe 6 or 7 months for him before he had to replace everything. Each year the top 5 or 6 on the mileage tracker run up enough miles to go thru a set of chain and sprockets in one year. EdIt: If they ran those miles on ONE chain drive motorcycle.

I guess one would have to consider how many miles that they consider riding a lot. I've heard guys brag that they ride a lot of miles a year when they ride 12,000 miles per season. Compared to the AVERAGE motorcyclists who rides maybe 2500 miles a year, that is indeed a lot of miles. A lot of miles to me is once you start topping 20,000 miles a year. YMMV (see what I did there? lol)

There is a reason the premier touring bike from nearly all manufacturers comes with a shaft and not a chain.

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Without a complex expensive belt tensioner system belt drive plays best with motorcycles having somewhat limited rear suspension travel. Cruisers and the like. Harley had to abandon the familiar belt for a chain with the Pan America adventure bike.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
Also belts do not pair with stones/mud. They will be damaged easily in such environment. Everybody wants to go on an adventure, and offroad somehow associates with that :radleak:

And I’m sure manufacturers are not going to maintain 2 different drive systems for same platform (e.g. Africa Twin & NT1100 could be chain vs belt).

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I think I would prefer a belt over a chain! MY last chain driven motorcycle Had a complete failure! Wife was wearing a WHITE suede jacket... until we stopped. somehow it became a Black and White spotted suede jacket. No more chains for me! NO-NO!

Bike
ST1300
Yamaha XV920, brand new , silver early 1982. Had a fully enclosed chaincase , with the chain running in a grease bath.

Had a inspection cap for checking on adjustment. I remember it was well over six thousand klms. before the first adjustment.

Have not seen a large capacity bike since with a fully enclosed chaincase running in a grease bath. A great idea.

Have photos buried in the shed somewhere, if i find them i will post it.

phantom :bk13:

Last edited:

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
A couple of years ago a friend bought a new full dress Can-Am.
Nice machine...
At highway speeds however there was a vibration and low level noise that bothered the hell out of him.
As things turn out, they actually did have an option for that particular bug. A belt tensioner. So, back to the shop the machine went, and a few hudred bucks later, all was right with the world.
I warned him that belts have a tendency to be good, then just bad once in awhile, and he should carry a spare, especially on long road trips. He took that advice, and one night on Highway 12o near Tuolumne Meadows, he kicked up a piece of metal that went into the belt and the sprocket or whatever they have back there... and there went the belt. 2 AM road flares out ass end up in the air, getting his fix on, and a ranger came along and started snuffing the flares. You can guess why. But he did tow the bike (??) to the ranger station where the repair could be done under much safer conditions... It's not a simple task from what I understand.
They should make THOSE with a shaft drive...

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
35121_1366815852210_5378357_n.jpg

Back when I had my standard CX500 I saw one of these in an American bike magazine and was instantly deeply in lust with it...

...until this came along. :D

Screen Shot 2019-04-29 at 8.40.17 PM.png

This was a prototype - the production model had different fairing, turn signals, livery etc. I rather liked the gold panels.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I thought the can ams were shaft driveo_O:doh1:
Things may have changed since I last looked at these many years ago so there may be some models with shaft drive (the Ryker), but most if not all are belt drive. Like this:
1680972732433.png

The issue with some belt drive bikes/trikes is that the front drive sprocket is not concentric with the swing arm pivot so the tension is constantly changing... making the need for an auto tensioner system.
That then brings in the requirement to sit on the bike/trike or put the equivalent weight on it to load the swing arm to properly adjust the tension on the belt... in addition to preventing the rear wheel from turning while checking tension.
One of the things I really like about my AK 550 belt drive is that the belt is just as substantial as the belts on the Spyder and BMW and Harley bikes (though some bikes have more massive belts).
Another thing I really like is the front drive sprocket IS concentric with the swing arm pivot so it really doesn't matter if I sit on it or not, the belt tension remains the same either way. But I also have a parking brake that I put on to prevent the rear wheel from turning while checking tension.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yamaha XV920, brand new , silver early 1982. Had a fully enclosed chaincase , with the chain running in a grease bath.

Had a inspection cap for checking on adjustment. I remember it was well over six thousand klms. before the first adjustment.

Have not seen a large capacity bike since with a fully enclosed chaincase running in a grease bath. A great idea.

Have photos buried in the shed somewhere, if i find them i will post it.

phantom :bk13:
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about those with the chain drive. Most here in US were shaft driven.

82xv920.jpg

Top Bottom