Looking at an Electra Glide

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I'll warn you that it's amazing how many more problems the guys who started doing exhaust/downloads/chrome/ect have versus the guys that just keep them stock.
You know, I've always wondered if Harley problems were caused primarily by people that just didn't know what they were doing, whereas there was really nothing wrong with the machine to begin with.

Although I am not a Harley fan, I think you should buy what you want, and that makes you happy.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If I didn't have a two bike rule I would have a glide sitting next to the ST and the Duc....but I am not willing to sell either of those two and besides my dad was a die hard HD rider as was I until I swung a leg over a 69 Honda 750/4.

My last HD was an 84 model but I have lusted from afar for another one....just piss poor timing...they became the darling of the trust fund kids and prices were outta hand for me at the time.

Bike
2015 GoldWing
STOC #

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok, I was intrigued so I just went to the HD site. **** does that really say $35,999!!! I bought a Lexus for less than that!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&camp_id=16&source_cd=SEM_NewModels&_cr=ppc|msn|RETENTION|harley-davidson electra glide#/model/flhtcuse5

Again, if it does it for you than get it. :yes: No bashing here, I just have sticker shock... Thats 20k more than my ST13 cost! :eek:
That is the CVO model with some engine mods, factory custom paint, and extra chrome. The basic Electra Glide is about $24,500 MSRP. Still steep but not quite Lexus territory. Think of it as a Lexus is basically a CVO Toyota.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Ok, I was intrigued so I just went to the HD site. **** does that really say $35,999!!! I bought a Lexus for less than that!

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/2010_Motorcycles/2010_motorcycles.html?locale=en_US&camp_id=16&source_cd=SEM_NewModels&_cr=ppc|msn|RETENTION|harley-davidson electra glide#/model/flhtcuse5

Again, if it does it for you than get it. :yes: No bashing here, I just have sticker shock... Thats 20k more than my ST13 cost! :eek:
The airbag wing cost $29,000 and that's a stock bike. Lets just face it they all cost a lot now.

something new out there the VICTORY CROSS COUNTRY 106 ci FI, six speed, cruise, audio ,hard bags....beauty is in the eyes......$$$ I guess in line with most pricing

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
something new out there the VICTORY CROSS COUNTRY 106 ci FI, six speed, cruise, audio ,hard bags....beauty is in the eyes......$$$ I guess in line with most pricing
My thoughts also.

I have done touring on my EG and my wife will have it no other way. I have to say guys I have 165,000 on my EG and I'll put that many more on it also.

I have had to rebuild the motor I have to say but it has been run the heck out of.

The new HD's with the hopped motors are going to have problems down the road. You should stick with a lower CI motor. The 110's are nice but will burn up one day. Now that being said I would look at the Vision.

I got to take a spin on one down the road. It rides like an ST, got a great radio, adjustable windsheild, leg room, same tires as the GoldWing and more packing room than the EG. If you can get past the looks I think this will be my next touring bike.

OP
OP
aka Yamadog
STOC #
Asking strangers to pick your bike is akin to having strangers pick your wife. Since you have a wife and those people have a proven track record of success, why don't you run this question by them?:D
Not asking anybody to pic what I ride :D
But looking for some critical input from people who may have some knowledge or perspective other than my own. No Wing for me as long as I have the LT for that role. Not enough difference. Other options would be a nice, well maintained Valk or one of those Yamaha Stratoliners. Both seem dated and ABS is a must-have.

OP
OP
aka Yamadog
STOC #

That's for the CVO. The Ultra Limited is The 103 inch (I corrected my original post) and 10K less. I would expect it to be as reliable as the ST or a Wing and maybe that's setting the bar too high.

I can't get used to the Victory...looks to much like a '57 Cadillac.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I can't get used to the Victory...looks to much like a '57 Cadillac.
The Victory Cross Roads and Cross Tour could be worth a look, if you're not into the Vision's design. I saw these two up close at a show last month, looked like nice bikes.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I have a varied choice in what I ride - a Fatboy has just sat in my garage for the last year and a half. A bash, ........... could be :eek:: .......

If my wife and I want to cruz our choice is the VALK :bow1:.

suprdav

R.I.P - 2015/05/23
Bike
2013 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Yamadog,
I work for the HD shop in Mobile, and like the Ltd very much. SoloTotoCoyote's comments are right on the money. The 09 and later frame is a big improvement and the Ltd's 103, oil cooler, and ABS brakes make it a good value over the Ultra Classic. I also like the chrome wheels. Come and see us before you buy. I can get a test ride arranged for you. PM me for details.
Suprdav

Bike
st1300
I had a wing and rode with some Harley folks for years for thousands of mile, they would always tell people that they made me ride in back because I rode a Honda, I would tell them they made me ride in back to pick up all the parts that fall off the Harley's! That usually ended the razzing.....seriously the Gezer Glide is a great ride. If you do your own maintenance you are good to go. If the stealer does it open the wallet because it is expensive.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Something to keep in mind with Victory (or any manufacturer) is the way you're going to use the bike. For a bike that will be used for touring, you want to make sure there's a good dealer network out there. Having a local dealer is fine but what happens when you're out on the road, several hundred or thousand miles from them. As great and reliable as even Honda is, every bike has the potential to break down unexpectedly. At that time, if you find yourself out in the middle of nowhere, the ability to find a dealer is very important.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
The new HD's with the hopped motors are going to have problems down the road. You should stick with a lower CI motor. The 110's are nice but will burn up one day.
I think this might be an unfair statement. The Screaming Eagle models have been coming with the 110's for quite some time and there haven't been many problems. Most of the 103+ upgrade problems are coming from guys buying the standard 96/98 and bumping the motor. Even with the dealer doing the work, we see those upgrades back in. For the money, it's best to just buy the larger motor bike (CVO's) ready to go. They come with the factory 2 year warranty, where if you upgrade, you get all of 30-90 days parts and labor warranty....if that. (Depends on state and dealership)

I have had to rebuild the motor I have to say but it has been run the heck out of.
One really cool thing with Harley is the ability to send your motor in and they will completely inspect and rebuild it/replace any worn parts for a flat fee. This is great if you haven't done any work to the motor as Harley will return the motor to 100% stock. But still......I think it would be cool to have the ability to send the ST motor in (at the 300k mark :D) and have the factory Honda guys go through the whole thing.

Bike
2013 K1600GT
Yamadog, I've been researching the Yamaha Stratoliner as well. Fairly inexpensive, 106hp, V-Twin, 1900cc. Seems like a decent platform for long hauls, anyone got one?

Two Brothers

I think this might be an unfair statement. The Screaming Eagle models have been coming with the 110's for quite some time and there haven't been many problems. Most of the 103+ upgrade problems are coming from guys buying the standard 96/98 and bumping the motor. Even with the dealer doing the work, we see those upgrades back in. For the money, it's best to just buy the larger motor bike (CVO's) ready to go. They come with the factory 2 year warranty, where if you upgrade, you get all of 30-90 days parts and labor warranty....if that. (Depends on state and dealership)

One really cool thing with Harley is the ability to send your motor in and they will completely inspect and rebuild it/replace any worn parts for a flat fee. This is great if you haven't done any work to the motor as Harley will return the motor to 100% stock. But still......I think it would be cool to have the ability to send the ST motor in (at the 300k mark :D) and have the factory Honda guys go through the whole thing.
You are right on the 103 to 110 CI the 110 is a factory motor. Still generates lots of heat and I'm not sure that they will last. It used to blow my mind to see those guys buy a new bike to have the top of the motor torn off and put a new one on. The ones I ran with didn't seem much faster for spending all that money.

As far as the Rebuild program not a fan. Been there done that ten years ago and it was never the same motor. Long story, made short. Installed my factory rebuild and it puked oil from the rocker boxes at mile seven. When I say puked it was everywhere. It also used oil from day one.

Since I had installed the motor myself the HD dealer just shrugged their shoulders and said I dunno.

They installed the wrong rocker boxes and it only took me about two weeks to figure it out. Sometimes I don't have lots of faith in the factory.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
You are right on the 103 to 110 CI the 110 is a factory motor. Still generates lots of heat and I'm not sure that they will last. It used to blow my mind to see those guys buy a new bike to have the top of the motor torn off and put a new one on. The ones I ran with didn't seem much faster for spending all that money..
IIRC, all of the CVO's come with oil coolers standard to help with cooling. As far as speed, I don't think they're much faster on the top end but they definitely have more grunt in the turns.

And I completely agree with you on tearing the top end off a new bike. We had a guy looking at a stock Street Glide and started inquiring about the 103 kit and a matching top box along with a crap load of chrome bits. We realized he was trying to make the street glide look similar to the Screaming Eagle. We suggested he just purchase the Screaming Eagle as it would be cheaper. He balked at the price and stated he would never spend that much. He bought the stock Street Glide with all the stuff financed in. The total to have his bike be almost like a Screaming Eagle was close to $6k more than he could have gotten the Screaming Eagle for. Hey.....it was his choice.

...As far as the Rebuild program not a fan. Been there done that ten years ago and it was never the same motor. Long story, made short. Installed my factory rebuild and it puked oil from the rocker boxes at mile seven. When I say puked it was everywhere. It also used oil from day one.

Since I had installed the motor myself the HD dealer just shrugged their shoulders and said I dunno.

They installed the wrong rocker boxes and it only took me about two weeks to figure it out. Sometimes I don't have lots of faith in the factory.
Admittedly, I've yet to deal with a factory rebuild but I like the idea of it.......provided the factory doesn't screw it up as in your case.

Two Brothers

IIRC, all of the CVO's come with oil coolers standard to help with cooling. As far as speed, I don't think they're much faster on the top end but they definitely have more grunt in the turns.

And I completely agree with you on tearing the top end off a new bike. We had a guy looking at a stock Street Glide and started inquiring about the 103 kit and a matching top box along with a crap load of chrome bits. We realized he was trying to make the street glide look similar to the Screaming Eagle. We suggested he just purchase the Screaming Eagle as it would be cheaper. He balked at the price and stated he would never spend that much. He bought the stock Street Glide with all the stuff financed in. The total to have his bike be almost like a Screaming Eagle was close to $6k more than he could have gotten the Screaming Eagle for. Hey.....it was his choice

$$$$ oh you gotta love that did he buy the jacket and chaps and finance also:confused:

Top Bottom