Looking at an Electra Glide

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
$$$$ oh you gotta love that did he buy the jacket and chaps and finance also:confused:
I don't think so........ I usually feel for people who end up paying top dollar for their bikes and didn't fully realize/understand some of the better ways they could have gone about it...........but this guy......full pop without a second thought....and I have no problem with it. :D

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
If you've never owned one, why not give it a whirl? I had a 72 Glide that would numb your hands and feet at x-way speeds.

Not asking anybody to pic what I ride :D
But looking for some critical input from people who may have some knowledge or perspective other than my own. No Wing for me as long as I have the LT for that role. Not enough difference. Other options would be a nice, well maintained Valk or one of those Yamaha Stratoliners. Both seem dated and ABS is a must-have.

I'll rant a bit, then give you some critical input. Then probably rant some more. It is a hobby of mine.

I have put 430k on Electraglides, Love 'em. I have also put 200k on other Harleys, and 67k on a Buell. I love the Electra Glides...... After I hit a deer last fall and killed my FLH, I decided to try something different. I got tired of having oil on my hands. Now I have oil AND antifreeze. 8^)

The HD is a different bike. Maintenance is cheap and simple. Parts, as long as they are not chromed or painted are cheap and generally available everywhere. No longer will you go to a dealer to get shims for your valves and be told that they have to order them and they are $10 each. And NO, they won't sell you the ones from the mechanics area.

For me, I like a stock FLH. Try it to ensure you like the style. Make sure it is a stock one. I tried a Road Glide that the dealer was very proud of. They had bumped it up with a new cam and absurdly loud pipes etc. When I got back I told the dealer it was a POS. He was not happy. I was able to try a stock one and rather liked it, but they have taken away the more basic one and gone custom with it. I would have to put a lot of miles on one to decide whether it is better or worse than an FLH. The shape of some of the new seats seams a LOT better, but some are still shaped like my 2004 model, which was not flat enough for me. There is buffeting behind the shield but a different shield can help that. I would get the anti-lock. I looked at the Wings but felt way to confined and cramped on it. There was no place to put my feet. Even the ST has more room for me. A lot more than the wing, in my opinion.

My personal experiences are that the HD's are very reliable up to about 50k. After that, some things CAN go wrong, but generally not much. The belt can last close to 100k, but due to the rear sprocket teeth being made of aluminum with chrome over them, the belt sometimes wears quicker. The aluminum corrodes under the chrome so the chrome becomes sharp and wears the belt, then eventually the aluminum just wears away. I think this is a phenomenon seen mostly in winter riders of new england (salt). Change the rear sprocket every once in a while and the belt will be fine. (or don't ride in the winter)

The right choice in tires and you will get 13 to 15k fully loaded out of them. Not sure about the new sized tires on the '09 and '10's.

If you leave it stock nice people will come up to you and say that is the quietest HD they have ever heard and ask you how you made it so quiet.

There are a few things that I complained about with the HD, that I no longer complain about now that I have an ST. For example, to change the stator it can take an hour and you need an impact wrench so cannot do it on the road. Of course, they almost never go these days (from my experience), but some of the older models were an issue. The starter should take no more than 15 minutes to replace due to where it is, but a minor design flaw (in my opinion) makes it a good half hour (more if you are inexperienced with it). This usually needs to be done at around 70k due to the starter clutch slipping. That's painful at around $60. I hate that a belt and sprockets change can take 4 hours (3 hours is my personal record) and that it cannot be done easily on the side of the road. But the Forwoods seem to be able to do it easily enough. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/ I don't like the new die by wire throttle, but then everyone, even Toyota is going that way and I have not heard of problems with the HD ones. The heads will seldom last more than 100k without touching up, although that might be partly due to riding in very cold weather and very hot weather with traffic. Just my theory. If you do the work yourself, the heads are relatively cheap you can just buy a set rather than machining it. Oil cooling might help. I used synthetic oil and changed it every 7 to 10k whether it needed it or not. The pre-2007?? twin-cam bikes did not use a hydraulic cam chain tensioner that would sometimes be short lived. I have been told that that is no longer an issue, I don't know.

The new engine layout should cool better. It looks like they took some of the crap out away from the heads, even the tank seems to give it more room. Might be an optical illusion.

I used to ***** about these things. But then I had to change my ST thermostat. And adjust the valves. And fix the anti-freeze leaks that showed up after the thermostat repair. And adjust the valves (what an amazingly involved job). And now it looks like oil coming out of the weep hole of the water pump. Plus the tiny battery..... And all that Tupperware to remove. I think I'm going to refasten it with velcro.

Same-Same.

I have loved every bike I have ever owned. And I have found something to gripe about every one. Every model has *features* that are known. Some are major, some are minor. Some are easier to fix than others. I will probably get another EGlide eventually. And when the ST wears out, I may get another one of them (or it's replacement)

Ride what you want. I would have 100 different bikes if I could afford them.

And don't anyone go picking apart my rants. They are just that, rants.....

Bike
2006 ST 1300 AB
To S2000 Dave,
I had a 2006 Stratoliner for 3 1/2 years. It is the most balanced cruiser I have ever seen. It comes off the stand like a 250 CC bike. It will beat or run with the VTX1800,Kawasaki 2000, and the Victory 106CI in stock form. The biggest downside is the fuel tank is only 4.5 Gal. I did the Power commander,air kit and pipe. A brand new dyno said 94 HP and 118 Ft lbs torque in 94 degree heat and 75 percent humidity.
Look at one next to any dresser and you will get a feeling how big it is. You can buy a used low miler for $6,500 to $9,000. I would still have mine if it were not for a 100 lb dog that help total it. It really is a great cruiser. For comfort it has no equal. For stopping, speed, and fuel consumption I'm not sure the ST ABS has an equal.

Bike
2013 K1600GT
Michael W,,,TY for that write up. I decided to get a FJR1300,,,got one for a very reduced price, and couldn't say no. Maybe the Stratoliner is on the horizon,,,:)

Bike
2010 ST
Pick out what you like , test ride... then check out how the service dept looks. if it's backed up with warranty work, it should tell you something.
I know I sound like a broken record... but my Street Glide was a bomb.
Lots of problems, and the dealerships in SO Cal are backed up.
I got so fed up that I traded for an ST... so far glad I did. When people tell you to get the extended warranty got to ask yourself, why ?

Bike
05 ST1300
I have not read all the post on this thread, Sorry. I should like though to filll in what has been left out. If you buy the HD Electra Glide the one thing you will not like will be the very poor gas mileage of the Harley. Yes, it is a touring bike and a mile eater. It will consume lots and lots of gasoline! Yes, it can count the miles up on any one days out, probably as much as the ST1300. It can run with the best of them plus you'll be a more experienced rider and get going just as fast as you'll like and always have. It has a much better paint and finish a good looking quality product. The rear tire though will start to go square early on. This is true even for the 09's & up models, it doesn't matter. The 09 rear tire is more concave and bigger and has better road cornering yet it will go square. I once ridden with a old guy who owns a Goldwing and he uses a car tires for his rear tire. He can't worry about the round tires going square so he just switched to a square car tire. I can't blame him as there is too much riding to do. Thats the key there's just too much riding to be out there doing :)

Bike
ST1300/ABS
Harley's are a ton of fun to ride. However, I have had problems with the last three I've owned, the last being a 2000 Ultra. I love Harley's, plus will probably own a new one again someday, but only after they offer liquid cooling.:slv13::bat1:

Sidenote: If you buy a new Harley, GET the longest extended warranty available. Don't ask me why I feel that way!!!!

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
Poor gas mileage? I have a '06 Ultra with a "modified" engine. I still get 41-43 mpg. Same that I get on my ST. Of course when the right hand gets frisky, mileage gets poor on both bikes.

Not to say all bikes have some issue's (my '08 ST has an oil leak from somewhere near where the #3 exhaust bolts to the manifold), but my Ultra and wife's '05 Super Glide, each having over 30,000 miles, have had no mechanical problems. Ultra tires last 14K on the rear, 21K on the front.

Hmmmm. Let's look at published dyno and scale figures. One has 66.4 hp, 78.2 ft/lbs torque, 886 lbs. The other has 113 hp, 84.5 ft/lbs torque, 716 lbs. Cane them both hard and when one is gasping for air the other is only halfway to peak power.

Of course we buy motorcycles for reasons other than horsepower and torque. Buy what makes you smile while riding it and to heck with what we think.
Do a roll on at 2k rpm and the HD will be up the road before you can blink.
Even the Kawasaki C-14 got clobbered by a stock 103 cu in police bike shoot out 0 to 30mph.

Here is a dyno of mine which is a stock 110 sporting SE air cleaner and quiet pipes plus a tts tune. :)

Oops, sorry abt the sideways picture.

Attachments

I've got a 2004 Dyna Super Glide, and I love it. It is my first Harley having always owned Honda or Yamaha products. I used to ride my brother's Harleys back in the 70's.
I love it, 30,000 trouble free miles for me so far. I change the oil every 5,000 miles and have never had to add a drop between changes.
It usually gets 48 to 50 MPG. It handles nice and has plenty of power for me.
Having said that I know full well that it doesn not have near the speed or power of an ST but it sure suites me.
I am thinking of moving up to a Road King or Glide. I rented a Road King in L.A. and rode it up the PCH to San Fran and across the GG bridge then over to Yosemite and back to LA, great bike, very stable and comfortable, but again, I have no illusions that it would carve up curves like an ST.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's a bunch of dough to win zero to 30 mph races :) How about zero to 130?

Bike
2009 FLHR
I have an 09 Road King (standard) and it is a great bike. Bought one brand new, sold it, bought a used one three weeks later (divorce will induce such strange behavior) and have a combinded 15K miles on the two. 48 mpg is routine, now that I have a garage I'll do my own services with synthetic fluids. I'm just sort of wondering if I might be better off on an ST? I have a Ridgeline and would like a bike that can go in the back and not break the tailgate off. ST has a shorter wheelbase, less weight, and the locomotive engine! I've done a couple of long days, 500+ miles (I know that is short by a lot of standards) and the RK is a great mechanical beast! I'm also tired of the Harley "scene/stigma." I own a bike to ride, not to drink...

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
Who says you have to drink or follow the pack. I too own a Harley as well as St, like them both and have wonderful friends because of them. Just enjoy your ride.:mcrider:

Bike
2009 FLHR
It is really a matter of WHO I have been riding with, not WHAT. Don't have too many riding friends to be honest. Ex-wife didn't like to ride, gave it up with two small boys. Now the boys are off to college and I have time and the ability to ride again.

Bike
2013 H-D FLHTK
STOC #
Well, Just back from a week in Arizona on a 2012 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited rental (Eaglerider Phoenix - good people). Yep, it was loud, but not as loud as my buddy's 2009 with new pipes. Has so much torque that it's virtually impossible to stall. It's heavier than my 2003 ST but after 6 days of riding I felt like I'd been riding it forever. I'm seriously planning to get one for my retirement. It's rock solid on the Interstate and here in Alberta, I almost need to duck when a tractor trailer passes by me and the ST in the opposite lane. Communications is great, cruise is standard and other than a little bit of iron butt with the stock seat it was a fun bike to ride. I don't like to ride fast, it's all about the view and having my wife enjoy it as much as me. On the ST she's been holding on for dear life, but on the HD she was taking pictures as we rode. Can't say much more than that. Hope this helps...Bill

Top Bottom