Suits Looking for one piece wind/rain proof suit

Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Hello everyone,
I’m looking to ride into the cold weather. I cannot find anything without bad reviews online, thinking on going to Cycle Gear and see what they have. However, can anyone recommend a one piece overall that is both wind and rain proof?
Thanks,
Doron

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Are you looking for something rain/wind proof, something for cold weather, or both rain/wind/cold in one?

There are lots of 2pc suits that zip together, allowing more flexibility.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Are you looking for something rain/wind proof, something for cold weather, or both rain/wind/cold in one?

There are lots of 2pc suits that zip together, allowing more flexibility.

I prefer one price but if all ‘fails’ I’ll resort to 2 piece.
Thanks.

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
Aerostich R3. Pricey and worth every penny. Mine's several years old and I love it. I can fit a couple layers under it or a heated vest. In the summer open all the vents and it's quite comfortable. It plain old works. If you divide the cost by the number of years they last Aerostich is no more expensive than anything else. Plus the factory is in Duluth. If needed they will customize your suit so it fits YOU perfectly. Cannot say enough good things about the company, thier gear or thier customer service. A friend has a suit that is over 20 years old and it still looks good and it has a lot of miles on it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Aerostitch hands down. Motoport is also very very good. In both cases we are talking between 1 and $2,000, but the protection is about as good as it gets. Olympia is a very good brand. I bought two RoadCrafter's on ebay for right around $400, and both were in excellent condition. 'Stitch has been around long enough that there are quite a few used examples in every size out there.

If you are considering used, ask the seller "What date is written on the chest inside the left breast pocket" of an Aerostitch suit or jacket. That's where the manufacturing date is penned in indelible ink. You can always wash the suit in Nikwax to restore waterproofing.

A lesson from the Iron Butt Rally (not the last, the one before that) - there were continuous frog chokers from day to day, and EVERYBODY got soaked no matter what they were wearing. If you are planning on that kind of rain, consider a hard hat diver's suit.

I have both a two piece RoadCrafter from Aerostich and a Klïm Hardanger one piece. Neither are perfect, but I'm turning 70 this year and am short and fat-therefore I'm going to sell the one piece as I find it more difficult to put on. The Klïm is more waterproof but breathes better. It is NOT too hot to wear in the summer. I don't even open the vents until it's over 80°. The Aerostich gets too hot to wear if it's over 80-85°. It also allows more rain to get in. The Hardanger is a 3XL if you or anyone else is interested in buying one.

Last edited:

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
+1 on Aerostich Roadcrafter R3 suit. I am on my second R3 lite suit in ten years and 150K miles. Wear it all the time when riding, even in the Texas heat!

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Another nod to Aerostich R3 here:

I have one (look at my avatar) - incredible protection and very versatile. 100% waterproof when all the vents are zipped up. However, in a real soaker, water does have a way of migrating into the suit from the neck area. There is a collar that you can raise and close with velcro that will protect almost all of your neck. However, water will still hit your exposed skin on your neck between the top of the collar and the bottom of your helmet, and then trickle down behind the collar. The tiny trickle will seep down your neck and eventually make contact with your shirt, where it will then wick down into your chest area. After enough time, in a really heavy downpour, you may end up with a damp neck area on your shirt. But the rest of you will be bone dry underneath the suit. Been there, done that. ;)

Your wrists may be another entry point for water unless you wear some waterproof gauntlet type glove covers:

The R3 suit vents and breathes incredibly well in the heat. When it heats up, fold down the collar and zip open the vents. Air will enter through the wrist and collar openings, circulate through the suit, and then exit out the armpit and back vents. It really works very well. I use it here in our hot Texas summers (well over 100°F)! You don't want it to be skin-tight so that the air has room to circulate. It will inflate a bit from the incoming air pressure and that really helps to cool you.

If you buy one, get it one size too big so that it breathes better in the heat, and allows you to layer up in the cold.

Just my $0.02, as always, YMMV.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
IMO opinion there are only rain resistant suits. Ride long enough in enough rain and you are taking in water, however some are better than others at keeping mild rains out for a short amount of time.

Like someone said.... if you believe your gear is totally waterproof, you are welcome to put it on, come over and jump in my swimming pool, swim for an hour and then get out and see if your clothes are dry underneath.

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I've had good luck with Rev'it Gore-Tex gear both as laminated jackets and with Gore-Tex drop in liners. I had both an early Poseidon laminated jacket and their laminated top of the line Dominator jacket. Both were completely waterproof and vented reasonably well. I thought the storm collar on the Poseidon would be a gimmick, but it turned out to be useful and effective. I now use a storm collar on every jacket I wear in cold or stormy weather.

The trick to Rev'it is the sizing - if it fits it works great. If the fit is off it still works but never feels quite right. I normally wear a 2XL and all my Rev'it gear is 3XL.

I mention all of the above because Rev'it had just come out with a new 1-piece Gore-Tex suit. It is linked here >>> Paramount Suit. The reviews indicate that people really like it, if it fits. It's pricey, but similar to other high-end gear.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. It seems in order to get something good, you need to pay high for quality, which is understood. This basically tells me not to expect much from cheaper brands. This is definitely something to consider, not sure I can spend that much yet, but good to see consistency with recommendations here.
Thanks.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Having gone through similar exercises for rain gear, I ended up with Frogg Toggs.
I used the bib overalls pants because the jacket was short on me - solved the wet crotch problem.
They don't last forever but they pack small, do a good job of keeping you dry and are reasonably priced.
And if push comes to shove, you can do temp repairs with duct or gaffer tape.
I use mechanic's nitrile gloves over regular gloves - cheap and effective.
I used to buy high end rain suits but I found with a lot of use they began to leak anyway. ;)

Bike
R1200rt
I use Nelson-Riggs storm rider. 1st one lasted 6 years and even then there were only minor leaks. Packs small, can use it in real cold weather over my adventure jacket and keeps heat in very well. Use it over my mesh jacket as well. Versital, priced right and works.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. It seems in order to get something good, you need to pay high for quality, which is understood. This basically tells me not to expect much from cheaper brands.
Nope not true at all. Motorcycle gear .com sells last years models a lot less than what you might find elsewhere online. I've bought most of my gear there over the years. You said right off you want gear for cold riding.

FYI the most useless piece of gear I ever bought was a one piece suit made of all Gortex and had a last name of "Stitch". What nobody has emphasized here yet is Goretex is breathable. That means the cold air will pass right thru. Like it or not the Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, First Gear type of "Textile" jackets IN MY OPINION will keep you much warmer than a Goretex breathable jacket. My stitch was so cold I once turned around on a planned multi day ride in 50's temps as the suit failed to keep me anywhere near warm.

My warmest jacket by far is a Joe Rocket closeout heavy jacket I bought for $39 marked down from 300. The gear from motorcycle gear .com is not used of a defective. Just the years model.

As always your mileage may vary but the high dollar stuff is usually made of the same materials as the lower budget gear.

Unfortunately mcgear is quite low on the closeout gear right now. Usually they would have 20 textile jackets to choose from.

i'll add I have a tourmaster 2 piece rainsuit right now. They come and go and none will keep you dry all day.

Top Bottom