Suits Looking for one piece wind/rain proof suit

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Having gone through similar exercises for rain gear, I ended up with Frogg Toggs.
I used the bib overalls pants because the jacket was short on me - solved the wet crotch problem.
They don't last forever but they pack small, do a good job of keeping you dry and are reasonably priced.
And if push comes to shove, you can do temp repairs with duct or gaffer tape.
I use mechanic's nitrile gloves over regular gloves - cheap and effective.
I used to buy high end rain suits but I found with a lot of use they began to leak anyway. ;)
Thanks for the recommendation.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I use Nelson-Riggs storm rider. 1st one lasted 6 years and even then there were only minor leaks. Packs small, can use it in real cold weather over my adventure jacket and keeps heat in very well. Use it over my mesh jacket as well. Versital, priced right and works.
This seems like a good one for rain. I do have rain gear, but this seems to be packed much smaller. Might get this in addition to snow suit. Thanks.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Nope not true at all. Motorcycle gear .com sells last years models a lot less than what you might find elsewhere online. I've bought most of my gear there over the years. You said right off you want gear for cold riding.

FYI the most useless piece of gear I ever bought was a one piece suit made of all Gortex and had a last name of "Stitch". What nobody has emphasized here yet is Goretex is breathable. That means the cold air will pass right thru. Like it or not the Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, First Gear type of "Textile" jackets IN MY OPINION will keep you much warmer than a Goretex breathable jacket. My stitch was so cold I once turned around on a planned multi day ride in 50's temps as the suit failed to keep me anywhere near warm.

My warmest jacket by far is a Joe Rocket closeout heavy jacket I bought for $39 marked down from 300. The gear from motorcycle gear .com is not used of a defective. Just the years model.

As always your mileage may vary but the high dollar stuff is usually made of the same materials as the lower budget gear.

Unfortunately mcgear is quite low on the closeout gear right now. Usually they would have 20 textile jackets to choose from.

i'll add I have a tourmaster 2 piece rainsuit right now. They come and go and none will keep you dry all day.
Thanks for pointing out that web site. I’ll definitely check it out. Just went to the site and see some options to consider. Thanks.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Another couple pennies' worth of commentary by moi...
First penny: There's a reason the Aerostich products are widely favored by Iron Butt RALLY riders (not just the IBA members who ride for certificates). No other group of riders, collectively, put as many miles on their bikes as these guys. And we're fortunate to have a few that hide among us. (Hide, as in no chest-pounding, look-at-me self-aggrandizement.)
Second centavo: Another hale and hearty endorsement for motorcyclegear.com; most alla y'all know my motto, "Never pay retail", and I have dealt with this group since the time when they DID sell like-new used gear, before they switched to brand-new / last year's model products.
Bonus cent: I also use Frogg Toggs, and keep a jacket and pant from them on the ST1300. I have yet to get wet while wearing them, but mine aren't 300 years old yet...

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
FYI the most useless piece of gear I ever bought was a one piece suit made of all Gortex and had a last name of "Stitch". What nobody has emphasized here yet is Goretex is breathable...
<snip!>
i'll add I have a tourmaster 2 piece rainsuit right now. They come and go and none will keep you dry all day.
Them's fightin' words @WØQNX ! Put 'em up!! :box1:

I, among many others, have a dissenting opinion. My 2-piece Aerostich Roadcrafters are hands down the best money I've spent on any motorcycle related gear... period.

That said, they are not waterproof. And Andy Goldfine says that clearly in all his marketing info. Its Achilles heal as it were are the zippers. He uses heavy duty zippers for the main suit and that's where the water can eventually seep through, though in my experience not much unless it's one of those frog stranglers @SMSW referred to.

As my first suit got older, the zippers looser and the Cordura/Goretex just a bit more prone to saturating because of reduced waterproofing of the fabric I supplemented the Stich with a two-piece TourMaster rain suit. It's completely waterproof, but that goes both ways... On a warm but rainy day it can turn into a sauna,

By comparison, my newest suit delivered in late 2021 has proven completely waterproof and I've yet to need the rain suit over the top of it. And I've ridden in some nasty rain storms returning from NEW-STOC the past three years - 2021 was the old suit and needed the TourMaster. Equal or worse conditions in 22 and 23? Not rain suit needed; just boots and gloves.

Last edited:

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Nope not true at all. Motorcycle gear .com sells last years models a lot less than what you might find elsewhere online. I've bought most of my gear there over the years. You said right off you want gear for cold riding.

FYI the most useless piece of gear I ever bought was a one piece suit made of all Gortex and had a last name of "Stitch". What nobody has emphasized here yet is Goretex is breathable. That means the cold air will pass right thru. Like it or not the Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, First Gear type of "Textile" jackets IN MY OPINION will keep you much warmer than a Goretex breathable jacket. My stitch was so cold I once turned around on a planned multi day ride in 50's temps as the suit failed to keep me anywhere near warm.

My warmest jacket by far is a Joe Rocket closeout heavy jacket I bought for $39 marked down from 300. The gear from motorcycle gear .com is not used of a defective. Just the years model.

As always your mileage may vary but the high dollar stuff is usually made of the same materials as the lower budget gear.

Unfortunately mcgear is quite low on the closeout gear right now. Usually they would have 20 textile jackets to choose from.

I was reading this while @STRider Tom was typing his response. It’s a nice piece of kit. I only have about 25k on my one piece Stich, single digit to triple digit temps, desert and monsoons and never felt it needed more or less. Granted, like @Sadlsor , I don’t like retail. I prefer to by used and lose a little later when I sell it to upgrade or change( I will get another Stich in a few years, used of course). I have a lined one as opposed to unlined.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
For those that use Frogg Toggs. They have so many levels/versions/prices ... which do you use?
Frogg Toads Road Toads Jacket and Frogg Toggs Pro Advantage Bibs - my problem is finding them in 'baby water buffalo size'. ;)
Their jackets are too short and tend to ride up on me so the bibs solve that so I don't get 'wet crotch'.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
For those that use Frogg Toggs. They have so many levels/versions/prices ... which do you use?
My jacket is about 6 years old, so all I know is it's lime-green-high-viz, but don't know the model / style. Mine has a hood, which I sometimes wear under my helmet if it's REALLY storming, otherwise it's rolled up and stowed in its zippered collar "pocket."
I also got the F-T bibs, but the web cinch has come off of one side. The half-length leg zips are great, though.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I HAVE Frogg Toggs, but don't use them much anymore. I think the zipper is worn out on mine, it's real hard to zip up. I just generally get wet lol.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, Frogg Toggs don't last as long as the 'premium' rain suits do, but they last about as long as the 'premium' rain suits don't leak ... ;)
My Stich Darien jacket and trousers never leaked until I sent them back for a 'refurb'.
Then they told me they would leak due to the age of the material.
So I wondered why I bothered to spend the money to send them back ... :think1:

Bike
R1200rt
This seems like a good one for rain. I do have rain gear, but this seems to be packed much smaller. Might get this in addition to snow suit. Thanks.
Your not going to get the armor with a snow suit. Elbow, shoulder, hip and knee pads.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
If you go two-piece, there are a lot more to choose from. Me? I've used a Klim Badlands two-piece since 2016. Still my go-to for cold wx, and year round if on the road for more than a weekend. When I have it worn out, I'll probably go with a Latitude set, which is just a tad more light-weight, but still a four-season.

Last edited:

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Which is what, how much, and from where, please?
Bog standard Aerostich Roadcrafter Classic Two-piece... $1,684 current price. Custom fitted prior to ordering. Aerostich sent me three different jackets and two pair of pants to try on before finalizing measurements they used for my suit. All no charge...

1704476353077.png

Top Bottom