Looky what came to stay at my place......

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
My first cruiser was in the Star line (05 VStar 1100). It was a PITA to change the oil. But a good bike, I never had any issues what so ever out of either of them (my wife had an 04 Vstar 1100)

What kind of lift table is that? I am in the market for one of those.
I heard about the three drain plugs and the lousy locations....and poor grip on them. Will get back to work on it next week when all the parts get here...

The lift is a Harbor freight unit. Had it three years now. Some think they are lightweight, but if used properly, I have had no issues, and love not being on the ground.
And for the price........ can't beat it with a big stick.....:beatdeadhorse:. Watch for the coupon discount.....:woohoo:
T

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Well, I got the brakes flushed, tank pulled and new gas put in. Oil changed and new filter. Checked the old tires and took it for a short ride. Feels like the carbs are a little plugged, carb cleaner, Seafoam, and a little MMO. Took for a 25 mile ride and it smoothed out about 90% of the hesitation mid range. Will ride again today to continue nto flush out those jets in the carbs.
What a different way to ride, I have never ridden a Harley type bike before. Much shorter RPM range. Feet sticking way out front, :chop1:.
Very much a different way to ride. Slow and steady, no sporty corners. Fun for a bit.....but I think I will stick with an ST1300 thank you......

Will take off the wheels next week and get the new Michelin tires mounted and the new drive belt installed. Bike only has 26000 miles on it and it is cleaning up nicely.
ToddC

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Looking good Todd. Not my type of bike either. But a sure see a lot more of those on the road than what we ride. Probably followed by adventure bikes. Love my Tiger!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ToddC said:
Much shorter RPM range.
A hallmark of a typical big twin cruiser. Not your cup of tea sure. A different kind of riding. The sedate aspect of a big torque low RPM big twin appeals to me. If I fell into a find like that I'd give it more time to see if it could be made to fit. If I had the room the ST wouldn't be the only bike for me.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I never changed the oil in our old Toro mower, simply added a dash here and there as needed (I did check it regularly). I figured the deck would rust out before the motor gave up. Alas, the motor manufacturer went belly up first, and when I could not longer get a replacement flywheel (even on ebay) because the plastic ring gear was chewed up, I gave the mower away. It was still running and refused to die.
My wife still uses her 1986 Toro 2 stroke.

Ah chill people. I have owned several. They may not be stinky fast, but they are damned solid and well built, with a minimum of fussy plastics to contend with. They ride nice and that is probably my favorite color combo!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Ah chill people. I have owned several. They may not be stinky fast, but they are damned solid and well built, with a minimum of fussy plastics to contend with. They ride nice and that is probably my favorite color combo!
If I didn’t pick on Todd he would think I was mad at him. And payback is coming from him. I have nothing against what somebody rides. I have a 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000 that I have had for 30 years. I need to do like Todd and bring it back to life. But with four other bikes in the garage, I just keep putting it off.

I likewise must abuse my friends as well! Your turn to flame me for riding an r1200r and an r1150gs. I just love most bikes.

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
That bike screams for handle bar tassels.:biggrin:
That is too funny..!! I will get some before the owner rides it next. I took off the bullet studded leather tank bra....felt a little too village people for me...:cool:

And I hope you would laugh Keith. Cause it was funny........:rofl1:

ToddC

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
The colors are cool...and for 20 years old...in very good shape.
T

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I likewise must abuse my friends as well! Your turn to flame me for riding an r1200r and an r1150gs. I just love most bikes.
I can’t do that. I have a R1200RS. I love it! It shares the garage with a Tiger 800, ST1300 and a DR650. I get my two wheel therapy on what ever one I am on. I would have bought a 2011 Harley XR1200X with 1,900 miles on it last week if I wasn’t out of room in my garage. I’ve always wanted that bike.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I can’t do that. I have a R1200RS. I love it! It shares the garage with a Tiger 800, ST1300 and a DR650. I get my two wheel therapy on what ever one I am on. I would have bought a 2011 Harley XR1200X with 1,900 miles on it last week if I wasn’t out of room in my garage. I’ve always wanted that bike.
OMG. I knew you had pirate blood in you. :crackup:

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Nice looking bike. How does the passenger get over the driver's backrest? Vault in from behind like the Lone Ranger?
My Pillion rider gets over the backrest by standing on my floorboards first and leaning back holding onto the handle bars. There's a bigger back seat on the Victory which helps. But she's pretty good at it now.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
OMG. I knew you had pirate blood in you. :crackup:
The XR1200X was kind of a Harley sport bike. I have always loved the looks of them. Roginoz has one that he has fixed up real nice. He let me ride it at a RTE a few years ago. Very nice bike!
My pirate gear has been retired. And no I’m not showing you any pictures Jim! :biggrin:

OP
OP
ToddC

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I have some very unfortunate news regarding this bike. Last week, the owner and I and one other rider went for a first spring ride. All bikes in good shape. This bike had maybe a 200 miles on it since I did a top to bottom clean up and refurbish. Owner had ridden it once before for about 55 miles.

We were on a 250 Mile loop thru NE Washington, just north of Republic. 55mph zone just turn to a 45. 100 yards later, a group of 5 white tail deer are on the right side of the road, pinned up against a fence looking skiddish. Lead rider points them out, just then one breaks for the road, stops short of lead rider, doubles back, then doubles back again and crosses between me and lead rider. Now, please note that all of us have decades of riding and there is lots of room between all three of us....been that way all day. Seen at least 5 other deer situations that morning. No issues, no spooky situations.
I had begun to slow way down, flashing my brake to warn the last rider when the deer ran across the road.
By then, I had slowed to about 25. Next thing I hear is tires squealing. A quick glance to my right mirror shows the Yamahog and rider on my 6, doing a tank slap situation. I look forward, and brace for a possible serious impact, look again to see rider being ejected to the right, into the ditch, after a few tumbles comes to a stop.
My next thought is...where is the bike, I had heard metal against asphalt for a brief moment after the tire squealing. I look in my left mirror...and see nothing...then the bikes passes me with no rider, into the incoming lane. It hits the ditch, climbs the embankment and tumbles to it's right side.
By this time I have slowed, turned, and was back to the rider as he tried to get up. That didn't go well. Long story short, broken right ankle, overnight in local hospital and surgery 8 days later...today.

After stabilizing the rider and lots of people stop. Two sheriff's, one state patrol, and an ambulance, rider will be fine. Bike however has seen better days.
After recovering the bike two days later and looking at the damage and the scene, it looks like he locked up the front wheel, for quite a distance, 25 plus feet. It slid out to the left, dropping bike to it's right crash bar. Front tire lifted and came down causing a hard highside...enough to shear the steering stop off the headstock of the bike. Then it did another highsided when it hit on the left side. That is when he was pitched to the ditch.

His recollection was...he wasn't paying complete attention and when he looked and saw me he knew he couldn't stop in time. He claims at one point he was within two feet of my back tire. He had grabbed lots of brake.....and went down. Said in hindsight that he could have swerved.....but didn't.

Just a few facts for everyone. No judgement...just observation.
Rider was enjoying the beautiful day and local scenery.
Rider...71 years old. Not a lot of time on this bike.
Fixation...once he saw me...he saw nothing else.
No time spent testing the bikes limits...before the ride.
He had been riding since he was 12 and never had an accident...untill last week.
He has decided that his riding days are over...so he can continue to fly his plane.

The bike has yet to be completely gone thru and checked out. But this is what I have seen so far.
After righting the bike on the embankment...I got it in neutral...was in 5th gear still. Cleared it, turned the key, hit the starter.....and boom...it fired right off. Blew a bunch off blue smoke out and ran fine. Lots of twisted side lights and crash bars. Foot board bent up on right side. Tank has large dent on right side, from forks and steering head when steering stop was sheared off. Windscreen scratched, bags scuffed. Hoping frame isn't bent.

Luckily he was wearing most the gear. Just jeans and his legs and knee cap paid the price. You don't want to know what his kneecap looked like....
He had good riding pants in the saddle bag.
IMG_20200508_111920.jpg

Could have been worse...that he was not hurt worse and very lucky he controlled the bike and missed me.
Just sharing so that maybe this story will help someone down the road.
Pay attention!!
Practice stopping skills!
Always wear your gear. Like I recently saw...gear up for the slide...not the ride.

ToddC

Top Bottom