Made a dash mount for ram ball

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since I have a ST1100 I'm making one for mine. The bar is a bit longer and runs to the existing screws on either side of top of dash under windshield (the ones usually used for the front attachment on dash shelves). Pics coming. I did get longer m5 screws and some 1/2" nylon spacers for the ends and screw caps for both ends and also the screw for the RAM ball (to protect the top of the dash where that might touch).

Bike
2005 ST1300
Right after the first couple of posts about this, I set out to make one for myself. It really wasn't difficult, and I ended up with three Ram balls (linky). In the end, less than $30 in the mount -- all in. I couldn't be happier!
:D

I took a look and the first thing that dawned on me was distracted driving. Are you concerned there might be too many things going on between the 3 electronic devices you've got mounted on the dash?

I'm cautious about just having my GPS in front of me. :eek::

STOC #
Have you seen some of the Dash Shelves in use out there. Many look like the cockpit for NASA!

The one above is nothing, but it can be as simple as this: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64398&d=1281981704 which is the actual RBIS in use.

With the GPS just under your line of site, you can remain focused on the road and with a quick glance down, you can see the GPS. Much better than moving your head right or left or tilting down to see it in the handle bars.

How much you put up there depends on the individual rider. I like mine simple. Everything else I mount on the handlebars so it does not distract me.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
I took a look and the first thing that dawned on me was distracted driving. Are you concerned there might be too many things going on between the 3 electronic devices you've got mounted on the dash?

I'm cautious about just having my GPS in front of me. :eek::

Not really, I can lower the devices to dash level or below using the Ram arms. But given my height (6' 2") I sit high enough in the seat to look over my windscreen -- and the placement in the photo is perfect for me to see both the GPSS and the road.

What I hated was having to look down to the handlebar ball mount and take my eyes off of the road.

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
Have you seen some of the Dash Shelves in use out there. Many look like the cockpit for NASA!

The one above is nothing...

Not sure what was intended, but I'm presuming that it means "nothing compared to the NASA cockpit shelves." And I would agree. You can place from one to three devices on the shelf as I measured and made it -- or cut the aluminum bar longer and get as many as five devices (which I cannot imagine doing due to the added distraction and additional weight held in place by only two bolts on a plastic dash).

...but it can be as simple as this: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64398&d=1281981704 which is the actual RBIS in use.

With the GPS just under your line of site, you can remain focused on the road and with a quick glance down, you can see the GPS. Much better than moving your head right or left or tilting down to see it in the handle bars.

How much you put up there depends on the individual rider. I like mine simple. Everything else I mount on the handlebars so it does not distract me.

And I would agree -- the fewer the better. I chose to mount GPS (for the motive cited above...visibility of GPS and road at the same time), iPod (though I don't generally mess with it while riding), and Sirius satellite radio (making it easy to change my channel selection depending upon the road). Having the devices just below 'line of sight' on the dash does not serve to distract me but actually helps me to keep my eyes on the road.

Of course, opinions may vary (imagine that)!

STOC #
Not sure what was intended, but I'm presuming that it means "nothing compared to the NASA cockpit shelves." And I would agree. You can place from one to three devices on the shelf as I measured and made it -- or cut the aluminum bar longer and get as many as five devices (which I cannot imagine doing due to the added distraction and additional weight held in place by only two bolts on a plastic dash).
What I meant was that yours is nothing compared to many of them. We have a thread somewhere on how crowded some of these dashes are. For me, my XM comes through the GPS as well as my phone so no need for those other items, but as with you. I am 6'4" and having all that STuff up there is perfect. Just a quick glance down and right back up to the road. Don't even need to move my head...even with my new glasses on. :cool:

And I would agree -- the fewer the better. I chose to mount GPS (for the motive cited above...visibility of GPS and road at the same time), iPod (though I don't generally mess with it while riding), and Sirius satellite radio (making it easy to change my channel selection depending upon the road). Having the devices just below 'line of sight' on the dash does not serve to distract me but actually helps me to keep my eyes on the road.

Of course, opinions may vary (imagine that)!
Not here they don't we are on the same page. :D

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
PSR & MIGSEL still make dash shelves for the ST1300

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That Migsel is really pricey at ~$155 but is probably the nicest made shelf of all of the various options.

Top Bottom