MCCruise Debug Option

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just recently had some trouble with one of my MCCruise cruise controls not engaging and finally remembered something that might be of help to others. If the unit will not engage or disengages by itself, the later model computers flash a code to tell you what caused the problem. My code was 9 flashes which pointed to the speed sensor. As it turned out, both wires to the sensor had become loose in the terminals causing the issue. This is a pretty handy bit of knowledge to have if you ever have trouble with one.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, that's the 'diagnostic' option. The 'flashing light' works when you are not in the 'diagnostic mode' going down the road and actually tells you what tests to run in the diagnostic mode. I've got all the manuals but I had forgotten about the flashing light. It makes solving the problem a lot quicker! ;-)

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
BTW, I had sent an email to Tony at MCCruise as I was debugging. Went for a test ride and when I came back into the house, I had a voicemail from him giving me some options to try. You don't get customer service better than that! :D

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
If someone else changes rear tires for you, always remind them to not forget the thick washer that goes under the Hall effect speed sensor bracket, then personally check the clearance (1/8 inch) to the magnets.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
@Uncle Phil

I was looking at the McCruise cruise control set up because of another post that you made a while ago where I believe you stated that you had one on each of the three ST1100's that you had at the time. I figured you could easily confirm.

From the below picture, I gather that the set/accelerate functions are commanded by the same button.
Likewise, the resume/decelerate functions are commanded by the same button.
Is this the case?

This caught my attention and made me curious because it is the opposite of the cruise control button configuration of every vehicle equipped with a cruise control system that I have ever owned.
They have all been configured such that the set/decelerate functions are on the same button, and the resume/accelerate functions are on the same button.

1586233045012.png

Last edited:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
This caught my attention and made me curious because it the opposite of the cruise control button configuration of every vehicle equipped with a cruise control system that I have ever owned.
They have all been configured such that the set/decelerate functions are on the same button, and the resume/accelerate functions are on the same button.
The Rostra unit agrees with you: Set/Dec and Res/Acc, respectively.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
What are your thoughts on putting the switch pod in your pic from an ST1300 onto an ST1100 and using the windshield switch as CC switches?

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, with the MCCruise it is Set/Accelerate, Resume/Decelerate.
The MCCruise was designed from the ground up to be a motorcycle cruise control.
So I reckon that's the choices they made.
Maybe it's an 'Australian' thing. :biggrin:
Never noticed and it's never been a problem.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What are your thoughts on putting the switch pod in your pic from an ST1300 onto an ST1100 and using the windshield switch as CC switches?
As far as I know the switch part of cruise control switches are nothing but spring released on/off switches. As long as everything that happens behind the switches remains the same I see no reason why it wouldn't work. You don't actually need a separate on/off/cancel switch either if you didn't want to bother adding another switch. It could just default to being on with the ignition.

That would be a nice clean looking install- good idea. Show us some pictures when you have completed it.;)

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
They certainly are proud of them too! They don't give them away.
Yes, they're pricey, but they work and work well.
When you think about all the work, testing, manual writing, etc that they did to develop it - specifically for the ST
And did I mention how well it works :biggrin: ,
I did not regret the $$ at all.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
They certainly are proud of them too! They don't give them away.
Also, the 'cost' has a lot to do on how your nation's currency is valued against the Australian dollar.
When I bought my first two, they were about $500 each - but the USD was strong.
When I looked at all the bits and pieces I was going to have to come up with along with an aftermarket cruise module, it made sense.
Also, on the ST1100 they have the CIU (cable interface unit) that means you don't have to mess with the bell crank on the carbs.
If you mess that up, you get to buy another set of carbs. :biggrin:
Their instructions are very detailed and they provide you everything you need down to the tie wraps.
And since I plan on riding my ST1100s until them or me turn into dust, it's pretty cheap calculated on a yearly cost basis. ;)

BTW, (and you may be aware of it), Reg Siemens used the Police Switch 1-2-3 as his cruise control switch when he installed a Rostra on his ST1100.
I believe the details on this site.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
You don't actually need a separate on/off/cancel switch either if you didn't want to bother adding another switch. It could just default to being on with the ignition.
That's what I did on my '96 Nighthawk 750. I used a Trail Tech 8500-RS switch pod, and wired the center button to be a cancel button by having it ground the clutch wire through a mini-cube relay.

That would be a nice clean looking install- good idea. Show us some pictures when you have completed it.;)
Deal.

I have a Rostra coil kit for road speed, but I'd like to get more info on the alternatives mentioned above.

Also, I have an alternate idea to the MCCruise throttle interface or the bar screwed to the drum pulley.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I fitted my McCruise two years ago. The fitting took quite a while but the instructions are comprehensive and Tony at McCruise is super-helpful. The McC has been brilliant for me.
In 2017 (December) I recall the McC cost me about $1,200 AU for the kit. Now would be a good time for buyers from the USA to jump in and pick one up (poor Aussie dollar).
The dual role combination of the McC buttons (Andrew's photo) is something I haven't noticed as unusual. All my 4 wheelers have CC but operationally on the ST I just use the buttons as presented and haven't found it confusing.
Cheers, D.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Now would be a good time for buyers from the USA to jump in and pick one up (poor Aussie dollar).
They're $780 USD plus another $125 for the required electric servo... $900 is a good deal? I know they're good, but not worth it to me, not even close. I guess my GoCruise is good enough for my needs.

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
They're $780 USD plus another $125 for the required electric servo... $900 is a good deal? I know they're good, but not worth it to me, not even close. I guess my GoCruise is good enough for my needs.
It was for me as I needed one for my BlueBelle! ;)
You don't need it til you have one .... :think1:
And still much cheaper than a new bike with one on it! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
And my NH install still cost under $300 total.
I think the Audiovox version comes in under $100 or it used to.
But with McCruise 'debug' options, the excellent support they provide, top notch product, and not having to step and fetch odds and end, it's good value for me. But then that's me and no one else has to have that opinion! ;)

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I look at it as I'm getting paid the $600 to do the leg-work, and custom wiring is my thing.

My home theater equipment stack, lights on and off:

Top Bottom