MCCruise Debug Option

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I can enjoy wiring and limited mechanical/maintenance work on my bikes. My main dislike is I am most often doing it under time restriction, managing to fit the work in with other life activities. We are 'year round' folk here in Aussie, no winter shutdown, but the COVID19 is a new one.

I was encouraged in fitting my McCruise after reading the very detailed, step by step instalment instructions, also knowing that help, if needed was available from the manufacturer. Thank you McCruise!

I found fitting the McCruise quite a lengthy task, a bit tedious like wiring and fitting can be, and of course I am fussy in my work which doesn't help
(add 20% time). I guess a few days continuous all up to do the job but for me doing bits an pieces as time allowed, about 4 weeks - fairings off to fairings on.

My motivation is more a love learning, my curiosity, and saving some $. Is that 'fun'? I don't know. I found a great deal of satisfaction in completing this job. I do also recall a smile as I first engaged the McCruise and removed my hand from the throttle. "It works!"
D

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I did the Rostra route, there’s next to no support from Rostra unless you say you are installing it on a 1978 Honda Civic. I thought about using the MCcruise throttle interface, contacted them, Tony was very helpful, however the Rostra requires more throttle travel than the interface could deal with. The install instructions are the same till you get to the interface.
I had a number of issues getting the unit to operate properly. I spent a number of hours fine tuning the unit, and many of those hours were extremely frustrating. Given the support the MCcruise gives the customer, the throttle interface in my opinion it would be money well spent.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I'm thinking of attaching the CC cable to the bike's return cable, so it would directly twist the throttle on the handlebar.

The return cable is not essential to the bike's operation.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I'm thinking of attaching the CC cable to the bike's return cable, so it would directly twist the throttle on the handlebar.

The return cable is not essential to the bike's operation.
The Rostra is asking a 41mm travel, I believe the bellcrank travels 33mm. My experience lead to a jerky control, not smooth in the delivery. When you put an arm on the bellcrank that increases the radius to match the travel required by the Rostra eliminatingthe jerky pull.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I found messing with the DIP switch settings stopped that on my Nighthawk. It's easy to misunderstand the engine settings. The idea is you're telling the CC about the vehicle's power-to-weight ratio, so by telling it you have a larger engine, it responds more gently. Mine works as smoothly as a factory car CC does. I also use minimal slack; the faster the vehicle responds the less the CC has to pull and then stop pulling.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Larry you and I have been bantering about this for the past year and a half. I got it, you are no stranger to installing cruise control on other bikes and you were successful and I commend you for it.
I have installed the Rostra as well as an Audiovox on 3 ST1100s, you have yet to do it.
Upon your suggestions, I have experimented with the dip switches, taken the slack out of the cable. To no avail. I followed Reg Siemens install by putting on the arm on the bellcrank that resolved the issues that I was experiencing. (The cost was $2.00 to make an arm out of aluminum. And 45 minutes to mount said arm). In my case The issue was cable travel related, not dip switches.
With respect
Robert

Bike
2006 ST1300A
After the time and money spent on buying/installing/replacing 3 Audiovox units, I did what I should've done in the first place ... McCruise. I felt installtion was a breeze because the instructions were flawless, and required no adjustments afterwards. I also like that increasing/decreasing speed requires pushing the appropriate button adjusts the speed 1 MPH per button push. Yeah, McCruise may be a bit pricey, but what other aftermarket CC is built specifically for our bikes?

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Someone gave me some cash today, ;) and I'm getting closer to being able to purchase a McCruise unit. THEY'RE OUT OF STOCK! Tony told me more will be coming in September. whew! My Rostra still has a few bugs in it and I've come to my tether. Time for me to bite the bullet and get something that will do the job without issues or finessing. Have to look in my parts bin and see what else I can convert into cash. :)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Just curious, what bugs? I got the Rostra on my Nighthawk to work as well as a factory car CC.
It will vary in speed by 10km/h. Surge back up like crazy exceeding the set speed and then drop like a rock. Then there are times when it holds steady for 15 minutes and then it decides to go crazy again. I’ve gone through all combinations of settings and right now it’s on 6 cylinder medium and medium response.
Time to move on

Bike
04 ST1300
Someone gave me some cash today, ;) and I'm getting closer to being able to purchase a McCruise unit. THEY'RE OUT OF STOCK! Tony told me more will be coming in September. whew! My Rostra still has a few bugs in it and I've come to my tether. Time for me to bite the bullet and get something that will do the job without issues or finessing. Have to look in my parts bin and see what else I can convert into cash. :)
I installed the MC earlier this year with the help of a fellow STeer. Wroks very well. The extra money spent is well worth it.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I just finished an Audiovox install on my Versys 1000LT. I followed some advise from a Versys forum and didn’t use the control pad. My cruise comes on when the bike is on. Set/Resume, +/-, are from a miniature SPDT toggle switch, mounted inside the right switch pod.

John

FF1A16E9-0FB9-4EB8-A2B8-A1721C740266.jpeg

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I just finished an Audiovox install on my Versys 1000LT. I followed some advise from a Versys forum and didn’t use the control pad. My cruise comes on when the bike is on. Set/Resume, +/-, are from a miniature SPDT toggle switch, mounted inside the right switch pod.
That's very neat and simple. Here's a DIY on/off + set/acc/dec switch block I made 9 years ago. On/off is on the right with the left being a momentary DPDT switch. Never an issue with it, but it's now in the landfill since installing the McCruise.
DIY CC switch.jpg

Top Bottom