Mechanic in Portland, OR?

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I just purchased a 2006 ST1300 with only 13,000 miles on it, but I don't really know anything about the bike's history. Does anyone know of a good mechanic who is familiar with the ST1300 in the Portland area? Thanks in advance.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Congrats! Based on the mileage, I would say that the bike has spent a lot of time in a garage :)

OP
OP
w8maker
Bike
2006 ST1300A
First.... Welcome from WA STate!
And to answer your question.....No. sorry.
T
Bring to my place and we can go thru it......
Thanks for the invite. Maybe when the weather warms up a little, I would like to ride up to your neck of the woods. I'm really lovin' this bike! I can see why they nicknamed it the "Locomotive"

OP
OP
w8maker
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Congrats! Based on the mileage, I would say that the bike has spent a lot of time in a garage :)
I think that you are right. Everything on the bike is like new, but the brake fluid and coolant probably has been sitting in there for years. That's why I would like somebody familiar with the ST1300 to check it out.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard!
I just purchased a 2006 ST1300 with only 13,000 miles on it, but I don't really know anything about the bike's history. Does anyone know of a good mechanic who is familiar with the ST1300 in the Portland area? Thanks in advance.
There are none. Well, good mechanics who know the ST's are very few and far between. I'd suggest you pick up a Honda Service Manual for your bike (not the owner's manual) and check out some of the articles on this forum. (Blue band at top of this page Articles > 1300). You really should bleed the brakes and clutch if it has not been done in a few years. This is not a difficult or expensive procedure, but there are certain steps you must follow. I've said this before, if you can post on this (or any) website, you can do basic maintenance. Too, you should check the tires' date code. If they are more than 5 years old* change them before you do much more riding on them. The article below might be helpful to you. Once your riding season begins, you might take @ToddC up on his generous offer, and/or plan on a trip to Arizona to visit our very own bike whisperer. In the search box (blue band again), type Igofar and read about Larry. Some folks have traveled over thousand miles to have him service their bike (ok, most were on extended trips and planned a stop at his garage...) because yes, he is THAT good.

*This is subject to debate, but there is widespread agreement that older tires harden and their grip on the road decreases with age. For a bike w/ uncertain history, it is prudent to change older tires.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
As Todd said welcome and congrats - if you like you can bring it by up here Bonney Lake. I’ve been schooled by IGOFAR (Larry) and can help you with the check out and maintenance. Shop is heated and equipped. And if we get in deep can always call the white courtesy phone

OP
OP
w8maker
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Welcome aboard!

There are none. Well, good mechanics who know the ST's are very few and far between. I'd suggest you pick up a Honda Service Manual for your bike (not the owner's manual) and check out some of the articles on this forum. (Blue band at top of this page Articles > 1300). You really should bleed the brakes and clutch if it has not been done in a few years. This is not a difficult or expensive procedure, but there are certain steps you must follow. I've said this before, if you can post on this (or any) website, you can do basic maintenance. Too, you should check the tires' date code. If they are more than 5 years old* change them before you do much more riding on them. The article below might be helpful to you. Once your riding season begins, you might take @ToddC up on his generous offer, and/or plan on a trip to Arizona to visit our very own bike whisperer. In the search box (blue band again), type Igofar and read about Larry. Some folks have traveled over thousand miles to have him service their bike (ok, most were on extended trips and planned a stop at his garage...) because yes, he is THAT good.

*This is subject to debate, but there is widespread agreement that older tires harden and their grip on the road decreases with age. For a bike w/ uncertain history, it is prudent to change older tires.
Thanks for the great info, I would love to visit the tech master in Arizona. When the weather warms up a little, will contact him. The tires are Michelin Road 5 from 2018, so still good for now. Thank you.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
First.... Welcome from WA STate!
And to answer your question.....No. sorry.
T
Bring to my place and we can go thru it......
As Todd said welcome and congrats - if you like you can bring it by up here Bonney Lake. I’ve been schooled by IGOFAR (Larry) and can help you with the check out and maintenance. Shop is heated and equipped. And if we get in deep can always call the white courtesy phone
When @ToddC publishes the dates of NEW-STOC 6 sign up early. Todd and Kara's hospitality is legendary.

Should you also decide to take @JohnK up on his offer, let me know, I might accompany you and take advantage of his training too!

Welcome from down south in Corvallis!

OP
OP
w8maker
Bike
2006 ST1300A
When @ToddC publishes the dates of NEW-STOC 6 sign up early. Todd and Kara's hospitality is legendary.

Should you also decide to take @JohnK up on his offer, let me know, I might accompany you and take advantage of his training too!

Welcome from down south in Corvallis!
Thank you STRider, I will definately let you know. Good to hear from another Oregonian.

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi and welcome from Portland...Count me in on that group ride/tech day if it materializes. I think that would be a best bet for service on your bike too!(aside from an Arizona trip)
For local mechanics:
I have used (https://www.cycletunepdx.com) I found them to be knowledgeable about our bikes both ST1100 and ST1300. The last time I was in they had 2 mechanics one the owner, and another guy who had worked on Hondas forever. He's worked on my bike and I was very happy with the work. They aren't warm and overly inviting but I found them to be honest and competent.
I have not used Cycle Metrics (https://cycle-metrics.business.site ) but have had a couple of conversations with him and find him to be inline with what seems to be smart practices with these bikes. I think he had an st1100 at one time.
I've gone down to see Igofar and its the trip of a lifetime for your bike.

Bike
2010 ST 1300
welcome from Tucson AZ. Back in January of this year I had IGOFAR rebuild fork seals and he did a ton of other things too. I'm lucky to live 45 minutes away. what an education I got by watching and sometimes helping. he will help by phone or email if you have questions. good luck with your new ride.

OP
OP
w8maker
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Thank you so much for the generous offer! There are a couple of other members who would like to come as well. Maybe we can organize a ride and make it happen. I would definitely want to reimburse you for time and materials etc.

OP
OP
w8maker
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Hi and welcome from Portland...Count me in on that group ride/tech day if it materializes. I think that would be a best bet for service on your bike too!(aside from an Arizona trip)
For local mechanics:
I have used (https://www.cycletunepdx.com) I found them to be knowledgeable about our bikes both ST1100 and ST1300. The last time I was in they had 2 mechanics one the owner, and another guy who had worked on Hondas forever. He's worked on my bike and I was very happy with the work. They aren't warm and overly inviting but I found them to be honest and competent.
I have not used Cycle Metrics (https://cycle-metrics.business.site ) but have had a couple of conversations with him and find him to be inline with what seems to be smart practices with these bikes. I think he had an st1100 at one time.
I've gone down to see Igofar and its the trip of a lifetime for your bike.
I actually had my bike in cycletune for a rear brake issue, and I was not entirely happy with their work. I don't know which person did the work. Maybe another visit to them might have a better result. I should have made sure that the Honda guy was going to work on my bike.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I actually had my bike in cycletune for a rear brake issue, and I was not entirely happy with their work. I don't know which person did the work. Maybe another visit to them might have a better result. I should have made sure that the Honda guy was going to work on my bike.
I'm skeptical, if only because my local dealership, with a guy who is purported to be a god among mechanics (he does not measure up as even a minor deity in the complex Balinese pantheon of frightening demons and protective demigods*) guessed wrong and cost me a lot of money. In my opinon (cynical, to be sure) you will be better off to ignore them and learn to maintain the bike yourself. Or find an independent who at least knows Goldwings and is open to reading the ST service manual. I found such a guy, and I think he is pretty good, but miles from where I live. With a one man shop, there are no excuses.

*Thank you, Merriam-Webster

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Sounds like we have enough interest for a tech Day or Weekend...??!?!?
Weather is an issue now, but early spring could be done. Thoughts?
Maybe @Igofar could be bribed to be flown up.....
And John......when did you change from WAdreamin..??? Took me a bit to figure out it was you...
T

PS. NEWStoc dates to be decided soon.....:run1:

OP
OP
w8maker
Bike
2006 ST1300A
And John......when did you change from WAdreamin..??? Took me a bit to figure out it was you...
T

Count me in for the tech day or weekend.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
T

Fly 'em into Eugene and we can pilot the 1100 and the 1300 there and back for a serious R&R. :)

Top Bottom