Mesh intercoms

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I, my wife and my brother who I ride with currently have the Cardo Freecoms. We use them as comms. When I ride with my wife I pair to hers so I can talk to her. When I ride with my brother I can pair with his so I can talk to him.

We also go on an annual Men's Fall Trip, usually myself, my brother, my son, my nephew, plus my son's father in law.. The only one I can pair/talk to is my brother.

I'd like to look into getting coms that can all pair/talk together.

I understand Cardo makes one also possibly Sena?

Does anyone use one? What kind? Do they link up automatically when turned on? Can just anyone speak at any time and everyone in the group can hear and respond? Pros and cons?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the Sena 30s which use Sena Mesh (the 50s do also). When you turn the mesh option on, you can immediately speak to and hear anyone else that has Sena Mesh. No 'hat dance', no special 'mating exercise' - it just works like the old CB systems work - same channel and you can communicate. Unfortunately, Cardo and Sena mesh are not compatible but I would think the Cardo mesh would work the same way. Works great on group rides and we've even communicated with bicycle riders who happen to have Sena Mesh as we rode by them.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The Cardo mesh group needs to be set up initially, it’s not automatic when you turn them on. The procedure is very simple and takes only seconds. Once everyone is set they’ll link up automatically every time thereafter. Everyone can talk to the whole group, you just start talking. I don’t have any experience with the Sena mesh communicators but some of my friends that have tried both tend to prefer the cardo system, so that’s the way I went. No real complaints.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Members of the club have reported that the Edge works, but they report problems with other settings, particularly private phone calls being relayed. But having set mine up initially, for rider pillion and access to incoming calls, the process is not straight forward - so I reckon that it should be possible to sort that out.

Having said that, the mesh system works every time for my setup as rider / pillion, and I still have the BT Connection with my XT and phone. As Jeff said, one person starts a group by pressing a combination of buttons on the headset unit, and then anyone who wants to join the group presses theirs within one minute. The group remains active until it is destroyed or a new one is formed. Reconnection is automatic when the anyone in the group turns on or comes into range.

The Edges have to be set up for either BT intercom or Mesh intercom. That has to be done when the Edge is paired with the configuration app on the phone.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
AFAIK, the Sena Mesh works with no phone 'involvement' (my phone is seldom on ;)).
IIRC, the Sena 50s are more 'phonish' for setting them up.
With the 30s I've done nothing but updated the firmware and they work fine.
I can connect my phone to them and other BT devices, but I don't.
The big issue is which unit do the ones you ride with use as the two brands don't play nicely together. ;)
Most of the folks I ride with (when I ride in a group) use Senas so that's what I went with.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have the Edge. It works as mentioned, but, a few warnings. Unless Cardo has updated the software, it does not like iPhones and Garmin at the same time. It will work fine with my phone until I turn on the Garmin, then the phone does not work, and of course, the Garmin XT is not supported by Cardo. One annoyance I have found is when riding alone is that someone is my group has gone out of the contact range, but it does not tell me that person has come back within range. I've ended up talking into the mike, "Who's out there?, Who's out there?" to no avail until they finally come back in range. Fidelity is great on the speakers. the voice activation is good.

Do a search for Packtalk Edge and read some of the posts in my other threads.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mesh units allow us to forget everything you have ever heard about connecting rider headsets. If you choose a mesh unit it uses radio frequencies to connect to other riders and your phone does not have to be involved. There is no pairing of rider headsets, no Bluetooth connections, none to virtually no background noise or static. It's really easy to set up and use. It's like a CB or walkie talky with a voice activated microhone.

I have a Sena 50S. You turn it on and choose mesh operation by pressing a button. There are 9 mesh channels - it defaults to channel 1 but if there are a lot of riders in the area using 1 you can toggle to another channel. After that you have a open connection to every rider within range using the mesh channel you chose. They hear you and you hear them.

I think people riding in groups mainly choose Cardo or Sena based on what is in use or what everyone agrees to use. I started with Cardo about 15 years ago but when I began riding with a small tight group of riders years I shifted to Sena because I was the odd man out with Cardo. Now, if some in the group do not have mesh it is still possible to include them in mesh operation but you have to revert to a Bluetooth paired connection with their head set. They BT to you and you mesh to the rest of the group so they don't have to buy a mesh unit. My wife's Sena 10S does not have mesh so we use Bluetooth which is still workable 'cuz it's just two of us. If she rode more with me I would get a newer unit with mesh for her just for the convenience and how the unit handles music and phone calls without dropping BT intercom connections.

The only downside for me using mesh is how much battery it uses. The Sena 50S chews through the battery when using mesh. If I am in a group of 3 or 4 and we are conversational I'll need to charge the unit at lunch for 15 or 20 minutes to make it through the afternoon. In BT use it lasts all day.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
It will work fine with my phone until I turn on the Garmin, then the phone does not work, and of course, the Garmin XT is not supported by Cardo.
I have the Cardo Edge, the XT and Android phone. The XT is paired to the edge as a second phone, and is central between the phone and the edge. The phone is connected as the 'normal' phone to the Edge headset just for use with the App, but I break that connection once I have finished with the App set up, otherwise that causes issues when I turn on the ignition and the XT needs to pair. This gives me sound from the XT and phone calls from home.

I'm not sure whether I can issue 'Hey Google' type commands to my phone with this setup, but I can say "Hey Cardo, Next Track" etc to control the music being played from the XT's MP3 player. In order to test the phone function I would need to abandon the phone's security lock and stop it from powering down. I tend not to use Hey Google for anything on my phone.

I've not noticed battery consumption issues. We have been out all day as rider/pillion connected via mesh and it has only occasionally dropped to 50%. But so far, I have not used it with the group.
'All day' is about 4 x 1.5 hour stints so 6 hours, if I remember to turn it off when we stop.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
some of you guys are mentioning XT is that a GPS?

Bike
2010 ST1300
some of you guys are mentioning XT is that a GPS?
Yes. Cardo came out with their newest iteration last year(?). Its called the Packtalk Edge. This year they offer a Packtalk Edge light - you subscribe to what options you want. Its cheaper initially than the full bore Edge but more expensive as time goes by. Go to the Cardo website and check their toys out.

Cardo offers software updates via wifi, and I expect sooner or later they will fix the issues w/ Garmin devices. There are simply too many Garmins out there for them to ignore us all.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
ahh Gotcha. My "GPS" is more um .... basic

but an upgrade on my previous one ;)

I don't listen to music, answer phone/texts/ or use a GPS. I just use my cardo Freecom as a comm, with my wife or brother, but it's really old and I'd like to get the whole group connected.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
ahh Gotcha. My "GPS" is more um .... basic
I use an automotive GPS that I've had for years, a 2460LMT. Even with no destination set, I like having it on just to show the shape of the road ahead. It's mounted at the center bottom of my windshield.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Members of the club have reported that the Edge works, but they report problems with other settings, particularly private phone calls being relayed. But having set mine up initially, for rider pillion and access to incoming calls, the process is not straight forward - so I reckon that it should be possible to sort that out.

Having said that, the mesh system works every time for my setup as rider / pillion, and I still have the BT Connection with my XT and phone. As Jeff said, one person starts a group by pressing a combination of buttons on the headset unit, and then anyone who wants to join the group presses theirs within one minute. The group remains active until it is destroyed or a new one is formed. Reconnection is automatic when the anyone in the group turns on or comes into range.

The Edges have to be set up for either BT intercom or Mesh intercom. That has to be done when the Edge is paired with the configuration app on the phone.
We’ve set up our group which is a mixture of Edges, Bolds and older Smartpacks. We’ve never NEEDED the phone app to set them up, although that is a option for doing it.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I have the Edge. It works as mentioned, but, a few warnings. Unless Cardo has updated the software, it does not like iPhones and Garmin at the same time. It will work fine with my phone until I turn on the Garmin, then the phone does not work, and of course, the Garmin XT is not supported by Cardo. One annoyance I have found is when riding alone is that someone is my group has gone out of the contact range, but it does not tell me that person has come back within range. I've ended up talking into the mike, "Who's out there?, Who's out there?" to no avail until they finally come back in range. Fidelity is great on the speakers. the voice activation is good.

Do a search for Packtalk Edge and read some of the posts in my other threads.
Actually the Cardos are fully compatible with the XT. I can skip songs, start, stop the music on my XT’s SD card with voice commands from the Cardo. It’s best to pair your iphone to the XT, and the XT to the Cardo and not pair the phone directly to the Cardo. Done that way, everything works fine.

Last edited:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
We’ve set up our group which is a mixture of Edges, Bolds and older Smartpacks. We’ve never NEEDED the phone app to set them up, although that is a option for doing it.
I must have missed something. They came ready to talk using BT, I let myself believe that the phone app was needed to switch them to using the mesh system. I'll go hunting .....I may be back!. I think that having motorcycle systems that requires the use of an app on a phone is ridiculous, so I'll be pleased to discover that it isn't a requirement.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I must have missed something. They came ready to talk using BT, I let myself believe that the phone app was needed to switch them to using the mesh system. I'll go hunting .....I may be back!. I think that having motorcycle systems that requires the use of an app on a phone is ridiculous, so I'll be pleased to discover that it isn't a requirement.
There is a sequence of button pushes to switch back and forth, no need for a phone and app to do it. It should be described in the quick start instructions.

Interesting. I have the same “model” navigator. Thought I was the only one.

but an upgrade on my previous one ;)

I don't listen to music, answer phone/texts/ or use a GPS. I just use my cardo Freecom as a comm, with my wife or brother, but it's really old and I'd like to get the whole group connected.

Last edited by a moderator:

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Mick.. IF you would get a mesh unit and ride with us. You'd laugh your ass off listening to us fly around the hills! Also in a group ride when everyone or most are connected together. It has brought some interesting views to attention and provided some level of safety awareness that was super helpful.

I have a 50S Sena. I wouldn't buy another. Too complicated for what I use it for. and the battery life sucks. firmware upgrades via wifi, etc.. I'd buy the Sena 30K. the 50S ($300) is for smart phone people to do a whole lot of what you arn't going to use it for. I purchased a small recharge pack that fits in my jacket and use a cord to plug into the headset to recharge it while riding. works ok. however a larger battery in the headset would be nice.
As said above. Any of the sena's with mesh work easily together. Turn on the mesh button and go.. that simple.
the 30K is the last basic model with Mesh. Make sure you buy the whole kit with microphone and speakers. It will retrofit into your helmet. Amazon has them for $250. or dual pack for $500. Their proud of them! They must use moon rock in them! LOL.

Speaking on traditional GPS. If you don't have the garmin motorcycle gps (because their water proof to a point). your missing out on some fantastic roads no matter where your at.. Todays GPS have route planning to your design settings that is pretty cool. You select the destination and set it for "adventurous" and let the fun begin. Now... to get you from charcoal stick and graphics to modern GPS??? oh boy!! you better start hanging out with Norm Kern!! he's the resident expert on GPS and Sena stuff! He has figured out however how to get the mesh of Sena and Cardo working together.. Requires a hat dance around your bike, but it works!

I forget who? but someone on here is a Sena dealer and offers some discounts if you buy from them.

Top Bottom