OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Thanks for the info Doug.

You might remember from the last Moonshine run we rode to together, I've never been much of an electronics/GPS guy. I learned in the 70's to navigate by paper map, am comfortable using them, and there is always one in my tank bag/ frunk for every state I'm riding in, on every ride/trip. I hate electronics and an intercom is about as electronic as I want to get. I don't do music, or take phone calls when riding. Old dog, not interested in learning new tricks. Figure I've only got a couple years left, no sense immersing myself in technology at this late date, although I do have a I-phone and a tablet now lol.

So your recommendation is a Sena 30s. And it will mesh instantly without jumping through a bunch of hoops? And it will it mesh 5 to 6 different riders? Will the batteries last 8 hours before needing recharging?

Wonder if the other guys are willing to put out $250 apiece, or if they still want to ride around in silence? Guess I'll ask and find out.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I forget who? but someone on here is a Sena dealer and offers some discounts if you buy from them.
@Motorcycle Dave
I've never been much of an electronics/GPS guy. I learned in the 70's to navigate by paper map, am comfortable using them, and there is always one in my tank bag/ frunk for every state I'm riding in, on every ride/trip. I hate electronics and an intercom is about as electronic as I want to get. I don't do music, or take phone calls when riding. Old dog, not interested in learning new tricks. Figure I've only got a couple years left, no sense immersing myself in technology at this late date,
I don't have a communicator with mesh capability, so I can't offer a perspective on that.

As for the GPS, it is one of the best things that I have added to a motorcycle. It makes following a planned route so much easier that you can concentrate more on enjoying the ride and less on the routing. Same goes with not following a planned route.

A GPS is like any device, only use the features that interest you. Simply creating a route and transferring it to a GPS is not very high tech, or difficult, or demands much of a learning curve. Just ignore all of the other features if you have no interest in them. What they offer is worth consideration.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I run the Sena 30s riding in a group and 20EVOs by myself.
The battery life depends on how much 'talking' is done.
I usually carry an 'extra' one in my pocket so I can swap if I need to.
IIRC, there is no practical 'limit' to how many riders can be in one 'mesh' group but I could be wrong.
Being able to communicate as Doug says (road hazards, need to stop for gas, interesting sights, etc.) is really nice - and sometimes quite entertaining!
BTW, I just bought a 'slightly' used Sena 30 on Ebay for a $129 - you've just got to keep an eye open.
The seller had only used it twice and had to give up riding.
Several used ones on EBay now for under $200.
I'm still using my cheap Chinese waterproof motorcycle GPSs (I got them for about $99 each at the time) and they are handy.
The main reason I went to them was one of my Alaska trips.
Knowing how far I was from my destination made it mighty handy on gas buying decisions.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sena 30k:

Supports up to:
  • Bluetooth Intercom: 4 riders
  • Open Mesh Intercom: virtually limitless
  • Group Mesh Intercom: 24 riders

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sena 30k:

Supports up to:
  • Bluetooth Intercom: 4 riders
  • Open Mesh Intercom: virtually limitless
  • Group Mesh Intercom: 24 riders
Good to know - mine automatically comes up 'Open Mesh Channel 1'.
What I really like is it just works with the push of a button to turn it on - no 'hat dance' to connect to anyone else.

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL
UP, while on group rides using the Sena open mesh channel 1 I have experienced other unknown riders in my vicinity speaking on the channel. In this case it would be unwise to make a comment about some unknown rider/riders passing by as they could possibly be on the same default mesh channel 1 if they're using Sena comms. As Joe mentioned we do have the option with Sena mesh of using another channel where it would be less likely to find others not in our group speaking/listening on the default channel 1.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
UP, while on group rides using the Sena open mesh channel 1 I have experienced other unknown riders in my vicinity speaking on the channel. In this case it would be unwise to make a comment about some unknown rider/riders passing by as they could possibly be on the same default mesh channel 1 if they're using Sena comms. As Joe mentioned we do have the option with Sena mesh of using another channel where it would be less likely to find others not in our group speaking/listening on the default channel 1.
Channel 1 is like Channel 19 on a CB...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
@the Ferret

1699973416447.png 1699973430938.png

I'm not one to just go out and buy the latest state of the art Gizmos just for the hell of it, but I think on this occasion I'd make an exception and go for Version 2. It has a much brighter screen - even though it lacks the ability to display the exits and the fuel stop in different colours, like V2

Here is my version 0.2a - a screen shot from an early 2004 model.

1699974161162.png

Note the early additional feature of the summary junction diagram. But this early addition failed to convert the miles into km, and the diagram didn't take into account that the roundabouts are navigated anticlockwise, and not clockwise. It also adopted the top (north) - down approach, so coming from the 230, it got the N11 as the 2nd exit completely wrong. But this is the only time that this particular model got us lost. This version was completely wireless, and sat under the plastic cover of the tank bag, completely unaffected by the water droplets on the monchrome screen.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, you've just got to be mindful of what you say - which aint' bad advice anyway! :biggrin:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is a sequence of button pushes to switch back and forth, no need for a phone and app to do it. It should be described in the quick start instructions.
There is nothing in my manual about that. It is easy enough to start a new DMC (mesh) group using the headset. Any leader sets their unit up with a 5 second press of the top button, and then others wanting to join do the same. I think that sets up a new group - the first person to press the button is the 'leader'. No need for phone involvement. But once the group is set up and in operation, all you have to do is turn the headset on. I have a group with my pillion - I never use the phone for anything to do with the headset apart from if I need to change something / update software etc

But to switch from a BT communication system to the DMC Mesh system - I cannot see a way of doing that without using the phone app.

------------

Personally, I don't need a phone connection - but if I am out by myself, I like to have the phone available in case my partner needs to get in touch to see where I am - the 595 / Smartphone link provided a live trace of my progress which was brilliant - emailed her a link as soon as I set off.

---------------

Didn't I see someone post on here that the charging of the battery has to be done using less than 1 Amp ? That alarmed me, although I cannot see that post now. Nevertheless, I had to check it out - 'cos I just plug mine into the 2.1A USB socket on the house power outlets. There's nothing about that in my manual. It just mentions to connect it to a PC or wall charger and that you will get 2 hours of talk time after 20 minutes of fast charge. 1.5 to 2 hours for a full charge which will give up to 13 hours of talk time.

Elsewhere it mentions that you can charge while using it on the move. I believe that means that it has power / flow control mechanisms - just like stanavs and mobile phones so that the device can still draw power from the battery while it is being charged.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think if you push the top and bottom buttons simultaneously it’ll switch it between BT and mesh modes. Do it again to switch back.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I think it's a moot point with our group. I posed it to one of the members who said "I'll pass, I get enough of listening to you guys when we stop". lol

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Even with no destination set, I like having it on just to show the shape of the road ahead.
I wish my phone did that. This was my main use when on a long ride with friends. I set a destination but didn't care. I just followed the lead puppy. But knowing what the road ahead was like is nice. The phone probably doesn't do it because of the drain on the battery given they're generally operating without ship's power unlike most dedicated GPS units.

Another thing I like though I have yet to use it is riding all day not paying much if any attention to destination or navigation. When I've had enough I can always say "Siri take me home".

Top Bottom