Michelin Pilot Road 4

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Echoing the stuff about the PR 3. I just put the "B" spec rear on the K1600 after eating a Bridgestone in 6000 miles. On dry pavement I was leaned over a little to the right and saw some debris in the road so I tightened my line just a little bit and felt the back end step out just a little bit, not much, but enough to say whaaaaa?

Had the mode switch in dynamic so the stability system will allow a little drifting before kicking in, but I don't think I was anywhere near a point were the tire should have broke loose at all. even went back to look thinking there was something on the road, but nope, dry pavement. The object was just a piece of tire carcass.

I have an 023 on the ST, and one hour later, same road, I tried (pretty hard) to get the back to drift and could not... I can manage it if I get the straight line mileage I need going too and from things, but if this is the expected, I may be tire brand shopping again for the K when this one is gone.

Chris

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
I won't be buying any more PR2 at any price, I've had two sets and the rear side walls shredded on both long before the centre's wore out. Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem with the 2s, I'm on my first PR3 rear and hope the rubber doesn't fall apart so quickly.
Interesting,

I have only had one PR2 on the ST and it did exactly that, shed it's left sidewall with plenty of tread on the center. I had chalked it up to "one of those things" now I see several folks in this thread who had the same problem. Wonder if they had a quality control problem about 2008?

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Had the mode switch in dynamic so the stability system will allow a little drifting before kicking in, but I don't think I was anywhere near a point were the tire should have broke loose at all. even went back to look thinking there was something on the road, but nope, dry pavement. The object was just a piece of tire carcass.
Same experience with the Bridgestone on my K1600GT. I went with the PR3 (non-B spec) and was quite pleased with them. Got to the chords on the rear tire this morning. I ordered the PR4 GT's this morning. My PR3 lasted just over 6800 miles. I keep it in Dynamic/Sport mode all the time and have heavy right hand so I got about what I expected from the rear tire.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I've read alot here on the PR2s 3s and 4s, with opinions going both ways. I'm due for my first tire change and my bike came with Bridgestone BT020s, which don't seem to bad. A little slip in the corners with throttle, not good. I've got over 11k on them, both past the wear bars. My question is for better or worse are the PRs still better than the BT0s?

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I've read alot here on the PR2s 3s and 4s, with opinions going both ways. I'm due for my first tire change and my bike came with Bridgestone BT020s, which don't seem to bad. A little slip in the corners with throttle, not good. I've got over 11k on them, both past the wear bars. My question is for better or worse are the PRs still better than the BT0s?
My experience was not good with either PR2 or PR3, found the BTO20's lasted longer and handled better. I have a Hankook V12 on the rear now and find it handles in fast curves better than all of them. Of course someone that has never put a Hankook V12 on the rear will try and discredit me. Don't knock it till you try it.

Bike
2012 ST1300
Thanks, I'm not ready to go Darkside yet. I'll probably stay with the BT0s but well see come time to buy. Thanks again.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Has anyone received the PR4
Got my PR4 GT's in 3 days ago. Installed yesterday and rode today. I got 7300 miles out of my rear PR3 on my rear tire eating bike. The front is still good but I changed both.

The PR4 feels good. I've not had it out on any twisties yet but did take it up to 140 today. Smooth as a baby's but.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Yes, hypothetically of course. No way would I want to break any laws.

[quote;1713772]Dam Texans....got the weather, got the roads.....ok got the bike too...And dont tell me, you could still here your music at that speed![/quote]

The speakers on the Beemer leave a lot to be desired. I never use them. Above 30, yes - MPH, I can't hear them. SENA SMH10 on the other hand is loud an clear. Bluetooth it to the bike and I'm off and running.

I rode to work last night and got to ride home this morning in the rain. Had to drive the truck back to work a few hours ago. Rain is turning to sleet and a little ice.

We went from 70 to 30. Gotta love "global warming".

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
I ride 99% of the time, hot or cold rain or shine. But when ice comes, I have to submit and park it. One tip over can easily be over $2500 in tupperware cost.

I'm still very fond of the ST but love the extra goodies added to the GT.

On a side note, I was at Maxim Honda on Friday and told a friend of mine that works there that if Honda would come up with an improved ST I'd trade the Beemer in immediately. He said, "in 2015 there will be a new ST". I won't hold my breath, but ................

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
[quote;1713825]I am only pulling your leg[/quote]

Understood the ribbing. Not taken any other way.

[quote;1713825]I am thinking of adding to my stable and leave it with my bro in Katy.[/quote]

Let me know when you do. Maybe you can do an RTE with all of us down this way.

Bike
'97 ST1100
In the official post introducing the PR4, they aren't promising that they will get even better then average mileage, their main point is the braking and safety and sticking to wet roads… emphasis on braking. Seems like a good safe tire. I wouldn't expect better then average milage. The safer a tire is, the less chance of litigation. Sticky! soft too???
Dale

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
[QUOTE;1713861]http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-4-rear-tires

Everthing I read states up to 20% more durable over PR 3's. Specially the GT which is recommended for ST as the center rubber is a harder compound.[/QUOTE]

No doubt, and this will be attractive to many in this segment. But, the trade off in traction needs to be weighed depending on your individual factors IMO. The harder side compound (medium on the 4 vs. soft on the 3) may be a consideration for those who tend to push the limits harder at lean - not uncommon in this segment. The harder (hard on the 4 vs. medium on the 3) may be a consideration for those who value straight line stopping distance performance - yes, it's only about 30% at most (assuming effective technique) on a heavier bike, but it's fair to ask yourself if you're willing to give any of that up.

The change of design to the front of the 4 will, to some unqualified metric, compensate for the loss of rear traction as the reduction of frequency in sipping will add surface area and stability to the front contact patch, and the yield of this variable will be dynamic as the weight distribution to the rear of the bike changed (luggage load, pillion, etc.).

For me, I'm inclined to opt for the better side traction of the PR3's - I use all of my tires and generally wear the sides out ahead of the centers. I would hate to find myself second guessing 'after the fact'. The PR3's already yield a 20%+ life cycle while still matching the traction performance to any other DC tire I have tried, I'm scoring that as a win/win and staying the course for now.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
[QUOTE;1714080]This was an earlier post of mine. So if you want the soft compound go with the standard. Get the improved braking and wet weather stuff on a better gripping tire. Only went GT due to the slab work going to do beginning of the year.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect - the PR4 and PR4 GT rear tires get the same med/hard/med compound build. The 2AT tech feature that defines the difference between the standard and the GT has to do specifically with carcass construction, not tread or compound.

Even so, why would you suggest that anyone sacrifice structural stability for traction on a 700+ lb motorcycle?

The 'Trail' version gets the soft/med/soft build. If they use the same proportions it will yield a significantly larger portion of soft (40/20/40% vs 10/80/10%) which will lead to a shorter life cycle than the PR3 for those who are prone to really exercising their tires. I don't see the win in that for anyone on a 600+ lb bikes. I guess it might offer those who want a more performance oriented tire one that fits the odd ball front on the ST1300, but that seems an unlikely motivation from the manufacturers perspective.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Where are you buying these tires? I am having a heck if a time finding front tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Well it looks like we will all be on PR4's soon. I checked with my tire guy and the PR3 and PR2 are no longer made in our sizes. He also tells me the PR4GT will be available mid March.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I finally got a rear PR4GT after waiting months for a PR3. Still waiting for the front, which seems to be on backorder.

Top Bottom