Michelin Pilot Roads Review

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hi All,

Well I know some of you have been waiting to here my review on the Pilot Roads. So I'll put a link to it here and then post the text so there's a copy to keep here. Hope people enjoy the review. I'm no prose writer but it will have to do.

Michelin Pilot Roads Review for the ST1300

I'll post the text in the next couple threads.

Curt

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Michelin Pilot Roads Review for the ST1300, Part 1

Michelin Pilot Roads Review for the ST1300
Front: 120/70R-18
Rear: 170/60R-17

Preface

I was offered the opportunity by Motorace to evaluate a set of the Michelin Pilot Roads since Michelin has been reluctant to ship the Pilot Roads, at least the front tire, for the Honda ST1300 into the US due to the lack of sales. This isn't due to the poor performance of the tire but rather the lack of marketing on Michelin's part to advertise these as tires for the ST1300. The ST1300 uses an odd front tire size, 120/70R-18, along with certain years of the Kawasaki Concourse. Now Michelin is caught in a situation where people aren't buying the Pilot Roads for the ST either because people are unaware that the Pilot Roads are designed for the ST or that the tires are only available in limited quantities but that is now starting to change. As I'm writing this there is a shipment on its way from Europe and I'm sure they will go quickly once they arrive, although we are coming up on winter. Motorace has taken the initiative here to allow a couple ST1300 riders to evaluate a set of these tires. They were shipped quickly and arrived within a few days of closing the deal with Dave at Motorace.

Inspection

The first thing you notice about these tires when comparing them against the Bridgestone BT020's "F" series (the stock tire for most ST's in the US) is the shape of the tires. The front tire has more of a semi-elliptical shape versus the 020 and the rear has more of an ovaled shape versus the 020. These shapes greatly change the handling and the wear of these tires. The second attribute to notice here is the tread pattern. The Pilot Roads probably have the most aggressive horizontal tread pattern of just about any sport touring tire out there. I believe this tread pattern is a main contributor to the stability and predictability of the tires. However, the pattern also has a downside in that it produces more road noise. Although this noise is more noticeable at slower speeds it is overcome by wind noise, ear plugs, and/or a helmet at higher speeds. It did take some getting use to but it wasn't enough to be distracting. If the tires perform well a little road noise isn't going to keep me from using them.

First Impressions

Upon having the PR's put on, properly mounted, balanced, and inflated to the manufacturer?s recommendations I set out on a small trip around the block. The road noise caught my attention but it wasn't a surprise from looking at the tread pattern. It was obvious I was on a different set of tires compared to the 020's as the ride is noticeably more comfortable. The PR's seem to provide a softer ride than the 020's. This makes for easier miles on the interstate and on city streets with uneven pavement. The PR's are also considered to be a commuting tire, by Michelin's literature, and a fair amount of the mileage I put on these tires was commuting since Wisconsin had very little rain this year. The other major part of my riding is in long distance trips so one of my main interests in testing these tires was in their longevity but it could not be at the cost of handling or grip.

Roads and Mileage

Michelin's recommendation for these tires is as follows (out of a maximum possible score of 5), highway (5), sport touring (5), commuting (4), and track (1). These tires aren't recommended for the track because the tires are designed to warm up quickly. This, plus the fact that the tires are silica-charged, provides more wet weather grip for the Pilot Roads. The Pilot Power is recommended for those that like the track and knee/peg dragging.

These PR's went through a lot of interstate miles but also saw some mountain riding ranging from sweepers, to twisties, to switchbacks. Two trips from Milwaukee to Denver contributed to 4000+ miles on the interstate. About 2000 miles was commuting on the interstate but it's usually stop-and-go for half of it. The other 4000+ miles was running the wonderful country roads of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa. Overall the tires took the mileage very well and after 11,000 miles they still had a little more in them before they gave up the ghost but with a 2000+ mile trip coming up I had to change them out. For comparison I usually get between 9000 and 10000 out of a set of the Bridgestone BT020 "F" series tires. It was a disappointment to see them go but I'm sure I'll return to them come next year as I decided to try another tire combination for further comparison.

Comfort

As I mentioned before when you use these tires compared to the Bridgestone 020's or the Metzler 880 you will feel the comfort provided by the rear tire. Harder compounds make the rear end a little more unpredictable when hitting rocks, cornering, and when relying on the tires in wet cornering. I'm not sure what "comfort" means in a tire but it does provide a softer ride and on long trips and uneven pavement that kind of comfort really helps. The Pilot Roads are rated 5 out of 5 by Michelin in this category.

Dry Grip

The PR's are solid when it comes to griping the road in dry conditions. My commute consists of a tight 270 degree on ramp that allows me to lean the bike over on the high side and accelerate all the way through the turn without worrying about grip. Even to the point of scraping the peg on occasion. This includes on cold mornings below 60 and within the first few miles of my commute. This can probably be contributed to the fact that the PR's warm up quickly due to their composition. This grip continues through the twisties and switchbacks in the mountains. In the 11,000 miles I never had these tires slip on dry pavement once. The tires also seem to take rocks on the road well although they skip over them the tires immediately grab the road again. It makes the tire predictable and it quickly gains your trust after the first couple hundred miles. They handled every dry surface very well without fail.

A second area where the Pilot Roads show their grip is off the pavement. On my travels this summer I encountered a few more gravel and dirt roads than I usually do. After running the Pilots on these types of roads I found myself looking for these types of roads or at least I was not apprehensive about taking them like I was with the Bridgestones. I believe the tread pattern here is to the PR's advantage on these surfaces. The tire gripped during acceleration and was easy to keep in a line along with making the turns. I pushed the tires to their limits until I could feel the rear wheel start to kick out. I wanted to see what the tire would do to the stability of the bike. It was surprising to see that it made the kick out very predictable and easy to control. Tearing down these roads was easy and it did not tend to follow or get stuck in the grooves as the Bridgestones seemed to do a lot. The tires gave me enough confidence at certain points that I didn't give passing a second thought. I simply committed to passing and the PR's were right there the whole way. The PR's aren't motocross tires but for a street tire off the street they sure are a pleasant surprise. And if you're a long distance rally participant you know you're going to need that at some point.

Michelin rates the dry grip of these tires a 4 out of 5 but I'm not sure why they aren't a 5 out of 5. I simply couldn't find any issue with their dry grip so all I can assume is that high speed grip provided by the Pilot Power on the track is the qualification needed to obtain a 5 in this category but in obtaining that type of grip you're most likely going to have to sacrifice somewhere else.

Wet Grip

Finding out the capabilities of the PR's on wet pavement was not an easy job. Trying to find where the limits are of a tire when running the risk of an unexpected kick out is not a trivial matter and requires some level of skill in recovery. I'm not sure my riding skills are of that caliber but my level of daringness (or carelessness depending on your view) when riding in the rain seemed to work here. Most of my experience with rain usually comes in when making interstate runs to destinations unknown without losing pace. The PR's are rated a 5 out of 5 by Michelin in this category and I really don't have any reason to doubt it. The Bridgestones were at best unpredictable in this area and made commuting in the rain an adventure.

Making turns was solid although I didn't push my luck and traveling at interstate speeds was also acceptable. The predictability of the tires here made riding in the rain less worrisome. The tires did not follow the grooves and hydroplaning was not something that occurred. Passing other vehicles on the interstate without issue was a sign that the grip provided in accelerating is there when you need it. Braking with the ST provides some compensation because of the linked braking and ABS but in testing straight line braking on wet pavement the ABS never engaged. I could attribute this to the grip of the tires but it may have also been my reluctance to engage the ABS.

This is starting to sound like a broken record because the tires seem to excel in almost every category so far. Well the Pilot Road was designed to be a well rounded tire and it does seem to handle most situations very well.

Continued on next thread...

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Michelin Pilot Roads Review for the ST1300, Part 2

Durability

This is where I was hoping to see more longevity from the PR's but they did last 10,000+ miles. Compared to the Bridgestone 020's I will say that the Pilot Roads had slightly more available tread left at the same mileage. The margin here is so close though that I can't call it more than a tie. Honestly though that is about the most miles I've been able to squeeze out of a set of tires. For long distance riders that have been on the scene longer than me they tend to migrate to the Metzler 880's but I'm unsure what kind of mileage they are seeing from them. I've just mounted my first set so I'll have a comparison hopefully in the next few months.

The second part of durability, in my opinion, is how the tires wear. In doing interstate miles all tires will tend to get flat-spotted in the center. However, even though all tires flat spot to some degree not all tires react the same to this wear. Some tires tend to become non-linear when cornering after wearing this way, some more than others. The Bridgestones I took off before putting on the PR's were so flat spotted that it made every turn a surprise as the tire would cause the bike to swing over quickly after hitting the edge of the flat spot in a turn. Besides flat-spotting there's also cupping where the tire gets uneven wear causing instability in the tire. In this respect the PR's wear was consistent through the miles. There was never a case of cupping and flat-spotting was kept to a minimum where it did not affect cornering as dramatically as the Bridgestones did. I would contribute this to the shape of the tires and the compound chosen. For long distance riding flat-spotting becomes a real issue and the PR's performed well here without losing any of their handling attributes.

Handling

Probably the most important part of any tire is how it handles overall and allows you to control the bike. I've already discussed the PR's ability to handle itself in rain and non-pavement conditions but how does it handle on the street under normal riding conditions. The biggest factor that contributes to the handling of the Pilot Roads, I believe, is the profile of the tires themselves, more so on the front. The front tire is more rounded and the rear is more ovaled. This changes how the bike corners considerably compared to the Bridgestone's or the Z6's. The biggest noticeable factor is the linear movement of the bike as it leans into a turn. The Bridgestone 020's after a certain amount of lean have a point where the tire will begin to cause the bike to dive farther into the turn. Although this can be a good attribute in a tire it makes the tire somewhat unpredictable in a turn and if you add flat-spotting to this it gives the tire two points where it will dive into a turn. The PR's do not suffer from this because of the semi-elliptical shape of the front tire. However this predictability and more linear feel can make it feel like the tire does not react as quickly as a tire like the BT020. This however is a real fine point and more interpretation than anything else. If I had to choose between the more stable Pilot Road and the non-linear feel of the BT020's I would choose the Pilot Roads every time. A fast reaction time is great but you need to be able to control the recovery of the bike in those types of situations and the PR's provide that stability where as the Bridgestone's seem to need a little more hand holding, no pun intended, to get them to stabilize.

The PR's provide stability in turning but the ST suffers from a slight handling issue against other bikes in its category that makes the ST a little stubborn in the corners. The ST usually takes a little more effort to get the bike into a turn more than its other sport touring counterparts like the Yamaha FJR and the BMW RT. I believe that Honda attempted to compensate for this with the front tire they chose and possibly the dimensions of the front tire, which might explain the odd size. So the ST and the Bridgestones do compliment each other in this case but it isn't a perfect match as it seems to give the bike a nonlinear feel when banking into the turns. The PR's front tire makes you steer the ST into the turns more so than with the 020's, at first, but the PR's stability and linear feel when turning is worth it compared to the 020's as the PR's pull you through the turn with a consistent feel.

There was a behavior that I can't explain but I've felt this with other bikes in the past. In a high speed banked sweeper I would counter steer to lean the bike into the turn but after being fully committed to the turn it started to feel like the forks wanted to actually turn and I had to hold the bars in place to prevent the steering from turning in farther. This felt very odd to me and I only mention it to be fair and also to possibly find a reason for this as I do not necessarily believe it was the PR's causing this issue more so than me paying closer attention to the physics at play in a turn of this type. This only occurred a couple times but I'm stating it here so that if someone else has the same experience then maybe there is something to it. I've discussed this at some length with another ST rider and the best conclusion we can come to is that it's most likely a reaction of the bike to a combination of the tire, speed, and road camber change.

The rating that Michelin gives for handling on the PR's is 4 out of 5. I think this is fair because it does handle well but there is some work that could be done with the front tire. If there was a way to give it all the desirable attributes it currently has but also give it some of the initial smooth cut in that other tires provide when entering a turn in my opinion it would then earn a 5 out of 5. This isn't to say the tire isn't everything you need. It's just saying there's always room for improvement. The front tire gives the bike the stability you need when taking the corners and the tire's shape makes it predictable and linear in the turns. It also handles skips, wet pavement, dry pavement, and gravel roads very well. Michelin describes this tire as an all-round performance tire and after riding on them in just about everything I'm convinced they're right.

Economy

Here's maybe where the PR's take a small hit and Michelin admits this also to a certain degree by giving it a 3 out of 5 in the economy category. The rear is priced close to the Bridgestone 020's but the front is more expensive. At first I thought the extra amount of tread on the front would add to its longevity but in the end it only slightly extended it but not enough to leave it on and swap out the rear. However, I was very pleased with the predictability of the front tire and consider this to be worth the extra money. The street price for a set of the PR's is about $220.00 shipped although the retail price of the tires is higher. This is only slightly higher though than what the Bridgestones go for and a lower cost than the Z6/ME880 combination that some are running on the ST. For the amount of overall durability, stability, and predictability that the Pilot Roads provide I believe the price is competitive compared with other tires that are available for the ST with similar attributes. Most riders I think look at the cost first when purchasing a set of tires. I know I do as I'm now looking at my fourth set this year. However you can't overlook the performance of the tire in making this decision. Taking into consideration the performance of the tire is a difficult thing to do because doing that is subjective from rider to rider. It shouldn't be ignored though and I think a lot of riders want a tire that lasts a long time without sacrificing performance. If you're looking for those attributes in a set of tires then you probably won't be looking at the cheapest tires available.

Conclusion

I was more than pleased with the performance of these tires. They handle well, if not excellent, in every area. Dry grip, wet grip, and off-pavement control are all excellent. The tire also lasts as long if not slightly longer than some of its competitors. If the front tire could provide slightly more lead in and still maintain all of its current qualities it would get a 5 out of 5 from me. Even with that the front tire is still linear in the turns, stable, and out performs other tires in this category. Overall the tires are extremely reliable and are priced right. I enjoyed comparing these tires against the Bridgestone 020's and now the Metzler Z6/ME880 combination. Once I'm done with my latest set I'm pretty sure I'll be looking for another set of the Pilot Roads. Motorace looks like they are working to make sure they have a steady supply for those wanting to try the Pilot Roads. If you want a predictable, stable, durable, and comfortable tire that is a "general-purpose ultra tire" for sport touring the Pilot Roads from Michelin should be your first choice as you will be hard pressed to find another set of tires with the mix of qualities that the Pilot Roads provide.

Curt Gran
Just Ride
'04 ST1300A

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Great job, Curt. [Don't go putting me out of business ;-) ]

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Bones said:
Great job, Curt. [Don't go putting me out of business ;-) ]
Yeah I don't think there's any chance of that happening in either of our life times but thanks.

Curt

Bike
2005 ST1300
Nice job Curt..

Between you, Bones and Georgeorge each on a set...I'm thinking these will be on sooner than later..(Especially with a plug in the rear from Tuesday).

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
crazykz said:
--snip--
Upon having the PR's put on, properly mounted, balanced, and inflated to the manufacturer?s recommendations
--snip--
Curt
Curt,

Nice writeup.
A couple of questions:
What were the "Manufacturer's recommendations" on pressure?
And what did you maintain for pressure on your stock tires?

Thanks,
Mark

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Mark said:
Curt,

Nice writeup.
A couple of questions:

Thanks,
Mark
42/42 and I always run the manufacturers recommedation.

Curt

STOC #
good review, looks like I may have to try them instead of the Z6/880 combo I was going to try. I still have some miles left on my stock dunnies though so maybe in the spring.

George

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Mark said:
Curt,

Nice writeup.
A couple of questions:

Thanks,
Mark
The folks at Motorace recommended lower pressure to me. Sto Smead, the founder of the business, recommended 38/38. I ran mine like that for about 1000 miles then went back to 42/42. The ride is a bit stiffer at 42 but I prefer the feel of steering inputs.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow! Excellent write up, Curt. I'm glad they gave you a set to check out. Seems like you did a thorough job of evaluating them. I'm ready to a new set of tires and will be interested in pursuing these.

John

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Bones said:
The folks at Motorace recommended lower pressure to me. Sto Smead, the founder of the business, recommended 38/38. I ran mine like that for about 1000 miles then went back to 42/42. The ride is a bit stiffer at 42 but I prefer the feel of steering inputs.
That's the first time I've heard to run them under pressured. Most times I here of people running that at 46. From the wear that I got on the ones I had I would say 42 was the right spot to be. Maybe 40 but I'm pretty happy with 42.

In other news I had the ME880 slip on me once this afternoon. I'll have to make sure I watch myself with these. I would have preferred not to run them into the cold months but the Roads are all I want to run and I couldn't get them in time. Plus I wanted to get another set to compare against.

Curt

The 120/70 18 is the standard tyre for later ABS ST1100s as well. I have run 120/70 front and 170/60 rear in Z6s on a standard ST11 without any problems.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Got my PR's last night. I really like the tread pattern on these... and boy is that tread deep. Will probably have them mounted by HoH with my 90 degree stems on 12/31 :p:

Bike
2005 ST1300
sherob said:
Got my PR's last night. I really like the tread pattern on these... and boy is that tread deep. Will probably have them mounted by HoH with my 90 degree stems on 12/31 :p:

2 commuting rides on my new tires and then 10 inches of snow falling as I type..:snow1: :cus:

Top Bottom