Michelin Pilot Roads Review

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
No joke on your Lifestyles... I think these tires will give me a Pleasure Plus ride... I'm sure I'll get Beyond Seven thousand miles on them too. These as the One for the Maxx riding conditions Today... I wonder if Joe Lube changes oil on bikes? Might save me some Elbow Grease ;)

Bike
2005 ST1300
sherob said:
No joke on your Lifestyles... I think these tires will give me a Pleasure Plus ride... I'm sure I'll get Beyond Seven thousand miles on them too. These as the One for the Maxx riding conditions Today... I wonder if Joe Lube changes oil on bikes? Might save me some Elbow Grease ;)

OH MAN ROB!!

Another laugh out loud moment at work...That was too funny..And to think my initials are 'TMG'....You rock:bow1: :D

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
sherob said:
Just think, Rob, if it ever snows down here you could throw a ribbed one on your bike for better traction. Sure to give you intense pleasure.

Good post!:D

Fred :03biker:

STOC #
I actually got them on eBay when he (Dave at Motorace) first made them available. Call him at Motorace and he'll point you in the right direction. I think, the last I knew, you couldn't buy them direct from him because he's a distributor, but he had a retailer selling them for him. I could be wrong. You might be able to buy from him, but I don't think so. Call him and ask him. He's familiar with the odd tire size issue of our ST1300.

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Motorace I believe will stop selling them directly.

Because of the limited availability of the front it is probably best to call but the 3 places below are suppose to be selling them. The first two received the last shipment of fronts. SWMotoTires is pretty good to deal with but they say on their site they don't have the front in stock.

http://www.sporttour.com
Has the rear but isn't advertising the front. They were suppose to be selling it.

These guys are advertising both and are suppose to have both.
http://www.amotostuff.com
Front
Rear

These guys I buy from a lot but they are saying the front is not in stock
http://www.swmototires.com

I'm hoping to get a set over winter to have in the spring. It really bites that people now want these and the supply is limited but hopefully over this year if people start requesting them more they will start shipping more to the US.

You can also mail dave@motorace.com to ask when the next shipment will be coming into the US if you strike out at all the places above. He should be able to tell you when and who will be getting the tires once they are here.

Curt

OP
OP
crazykz

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
billxp said:
Thanks for that one Bill. Didn't know about that one.

I should put some of these as links on my article. Of course then people will yell at me when they don't have them in stock. Oh the perils of publishing. ;)

Curt

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
crazykz said:
Thanks for that one Bill. Didn't know about that one.

I should put some of these as links on my article. Of course then people will yell at me when they don't have them in stock. Oh the perils of publishing. ;)

Curt
Or we can yell at you for not including them :rolleyes: Your article was about the tires performance, not were to get them... more vendors will carry them over time (hopefully) ;) Unless you have special powers and can see the future, ain't nothing you can do... you did a great job :)

Bike
2005 ST1300
sherob said:
Or we can yell at you for not including them :rolleyes: Your article was about the tires performance, not were to get them... more vendors will carry them over time (hopefully) ;) Unless you have special powers and can see the future, ain't nothing you can do... you did a great job :)

Curt..
I second Rob's comments..Both you and Bones did a great job on these tires...:bow1: :04biker: :bow1: :03biker:

STOC #
well S___!

I got a screw in my back tire (stock) and now I'm about to buy a new one.....

My Question is----this tire with a screw in it has a slow leak but it's only got 800 miles on it......Is it trash???

Can I patch it of put a tube in it (radial?) or do I just throw it away.....$260 for a new one......guess the heli risers will have to wait........

Bumed...

STOC #
$260 for a new tire???? That's outragious. Shop around. There's plenty of sites on the web with way better prices than that. I wouldn't pay more than $130 without feeling like I got raped.

By the way, as far as the punctured tire goes, you can plug it. For what it's worth, that's what I would do.

STOC #
georgeorge said:
$260 for a new tire???? That's outragious. Shop around. There's plenty of sites on the web with way better prices than that. I wouldn't pay more than $130 without feeling like I got raped.

By the way, as far as the punctured tire goes, you can plug it. For what it's worth, that's what I would do.

ok.....$160 for tire (either dunlap 220 or mich pilot roads).....$90 more for taxes and mounting......todal $250- $260....that's the rates around here.....

NO ONE I called would plug a MC tire.....now , I am keeping the tire cause it's like new and I heard they make a specific type of tube tube for a Radial.........anyone??........

I am getting a new Mich. Pilot Road rear tire....based on the reviews here......better than the Dunlops, right?....please say yes....

The guy at the Honda place said you should get the same rear tire as what came off cause the tread patterns won't match up if you put another kind of tire on there......anyone know about the dangers of mismatched tire patterns....hahaha.....sounds suspect to me??

I have ordered the pilot to match the stock dunlap front....but if anyone would comment that it's a mistake to do that I will just cancel the order tomorrow........any feedback would be helpful....my mind is spinning now about my brand new tire that got a screw in it.......still bummed......TIA.....

w

STOC #
I'd still plug it as long as its not near the sidewall. They sell kits to do it yourself. You may have to shop around some more to find a shop that will patch or plug your tire.

I would never use a tube, reason being you can't plug a tube even if its just to make it home.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
wishey1 said:
I am getting a new Mich. Pilot Road rear tire....based on the reviews here......better than the Dunlops, right?....please say yes....
Yes. :03biker: :04biker: :biker: :06biker:

You can patch a radial bike tire with an inside radial patch. You can also plug it using the stringy stuff and rubber cement or a mushroom plug. It won't be good as new but done right it can be trusted as long as you verify that it's holding air. (You check your tire pressure before every ride anyway, right?)

Last edited:
STOC #
Bones said:
Yes. :03biker: :04biker: :biker: :06biker:

You can patch a radial bike tire with an inside radial patch. You can also plug it using the stringy stuff and rubber cement or a mushroom plug. It won't be good as new but done right it can be trusted as long as you verify that it's holding air. (You check your tire pressure before every ride anyway, right?)

Hello again Bones....

Hey.....can you plug AND patch both at the same spot?

TIA...

STOC #
wishey1 said:
ok.....$160 for tire (either dunlap 220 or mich pilot roads).....$90 more for taxes and mounting......todal $250- $260....that's the rates around here.....

hmmmmmm.....intereSTing........the guy at the MC shop quoted me $160 out of the book....I saw it on the page.......

now when I called him this a.m. and told him I found a back tire on the internet (sporttour.com) for $136(delivered) he says "What am I gonna do with the one ordered and coming in today?" I said well---'send it back' He says well---'they charge a 20% restocking fee' Do ever get that feeling when the battle starts to turn in your favor...? See, I know he made a boo-boo with that one, I mean come on, the guy just told me he gets ALL his stuff from these guys---now saying they are gonna stiff him with a turn back tire??? No way........so he writes down the exact prices off the site and said "I'll call you back"....he calls back 15 min. later and said he will sell me the tire for the same price $136......saved $25......just like that......

STOC #
Motorace1 said:
You can run the Michelin rear with the Dunlop front. The bike will not kick you off and stomp on you - I promise!!:)

By design, the front is made to work with the rear. The front creates the path for the rear in poor weather. BUT - a good quality radial rear can work with a good quality radial front just fine, no matter the make. Just make sure you run the correct pressure, and the front has adequate tread depth to work properly with your new rear.

And since I am a Michelin stooge, I do wish you bought the Michelin front! :)

....hahahaha......that's funny....

....Thanks Motorace1.......yeah......got the deal done yesterday for the PR's and got it done better today.........or 'mo bettah' as they say around here......
......yes, I will order the front now and put it on.....will plug the rear and have like a new set of Dunlops in reserve.........

yesterday, I was in town without a computer and riding around trying to figure out what to do with air leaking out the screw hole.........
Makes me feel like businesses are set up to make people "pay" for little or no info. in a desperate situation......a computer and sites like this one
changes all that.......guess I need to strap one on my back...lol.....

Thanks again,
wish

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
wishey1 said:
Hello again Bones....

Hey.....can you plug AND patch both at the same spot?

TIA...
Interesting question. I never tried doing both. The plug is more convenient because you don't have to remove the tire from the rim, but the patch is likely more permanent as it covers the hole and the surrounding area from the inside. Air pressure, centrifugal force, and glue conspire to keep the patch in place. A plug extending inside the tire would probably prevent the patch from making an optimal seal.

I bet Dave from Motorace is a more reliable source of information on this topic.

Top Bottom