Michelin PR'2 question

Hi,
I had a Pr'2 put on the rear of my ST1300 last week and have covered 1300mls since while on holiday.
There is a thin shallow line running around the circumference of the tyre which you can just about feel with your nail,almost like a "Seam",
I have not had this on any tyre before.

Has anyone else experianced this or is it more likely a "Faulty" tyre ?,

thanks,

Martin.

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Martin, I have an old brain and I'm running Storms now, but on my PR's (not the new PR2) there was a line like you describe. Do the PR2's roar like the old ones?

OP
OP
panman40
Martin, I have an old brain and I'm running Storms now, but on my PR's (not the new PR2) there was a line like you describe. Do the PR2's roar like the old ones?
There is a little Hum at 60-62 mph ish but nothing I have noticed apart from that, the line is a little bit "Squiggly" rather than perfectly straight !

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I had it that line on both sets of Pilot roads I ran. And now have it on the PR2's I am running. Don't know what causes it but I have never had a problem from it.

OP
OP
panman40
Well thats really interesting!!, I think I will give Michelin a call tomorrow:)

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
BT020Fs have the same thing. I wrote Bridgestone about it, and they said it's an identification marker they use as a safety check to make sure the tires have the right compounds in them.

--Mark

OP
OP
panman40
BT020Fs have the same thing. I wrote Bridgestone about it, and they said it's an identification marker they use as a safety check to make sure the tires have the right compounds in them.

--Mark
I have had several 020 F's but never had the line on them or any other tyre before, Weird !

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I went out and looked at the rear tire this morning and sure enough, there is a thin line in the center of the tire. Considering that I now have over 12K miles on it I'm not going to worry about it now! :D

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I have had several 020 F's but never had the line on them or any other tyre before, Weird !
I had a photo of the lines but must not have saved it. I'm about due up for tires, so when the new set arrives, I'll snap another picture.

--Mark

Byron

STOC #
I noticed the line on the PR2's I mounted for WeSTOC. I don't know what or why it's there but over 4K miles and no issues. I don't notice a hum when riding straight but do pick one up when I lean it into a turn. Nothing bad, just noticeable.

I've seen the line on every Pilot Road I've looked at. Don't know if it's correct or not, but I was told by a Michelin Rep that the line is there to dissipate static electric charge.

OP
OP
panman40
Yep "Caper" was correct:D ,

I spoke to michelin UK today and straight away the guy said i'ts a built in to the tyre to dissipate static charge :eek: , something to do with modern m/cycles having so many electronic devices,

Many thanks to everyone for the replys:D :D

Just insyalled a set pf PR2's, got a GIVI 52 box, anyone notice handeling problems and what tire pressure ? They feel squirrely.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Just insyalled a set pf PR2's, got a GIVI 52 box, anyone notice handeling problems and what tire pressure ? They feel squirrely.
I don't notice anything squirrely. I have the hondaline top box. I run 42psi front and back.

Thanks for the info, leaving July 5 for 12 days to the left coast and do not have a lot of miles on them, new brand for me other than stock tires, little nervous about them.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
You will be fine. This is the third set of Pilot Roads for me. First set of PR2's and I have about 4500 miles on them....look like they may go another 8 pretty easy. To bad you are leaving or you could join me and some others from the site for a ride on the 6th. I leave thursday to head to Colorado for 10 days.

Top Bottom