Michelin PR'2 question

I wish I were going to be here for that, weather has been great, have a house up in Keystone as well and weather up there has been super, just watch out for gravel in the turns up in the mtns and you will have the time of your life, check for events in the ski areas, concerts etc as they go on all the time, ride safe and thanks again for the info !:D

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
No squirrels here either. Been caught in the rain a few times and they grip like a dream wet or dry. There is a slight hum at lean but nothing bothersome especially when you wear plugs.
No falling into the turns like the BT's either.

Bike
'07 ST
STOC #
Glad I was able find this thread. Yesterday we were at at stop and I was looking at the rear PR and noticed that line. No one could figure it out! It hadn't been there before. Then I went to the front PR2 and sure enough there it was also. Quite mind boggling. Guess we Michie runners are well grounded.:D

Bike
VFR800
I've seen the line on every Pilot Road I've looked at. Don't know if it's correct or not, but I was told by a Michelin Rep that the line is there to dissipate static electric charge.
"Dissippate static electrical charge"? Is the guy serious? I never knew that "static electrical charge" was a problem with motorcycles. I can remember 30-40 years ago when tractor trailers carrying petroleum products had to have a chain underneath them that always touched the ground for this purpose. However, the chain was securely connected to the chassis.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here, but do we run the possibility of our bikes inexplicably bursting into flames if our tires don't have a "static electrical charge dissipatation wire" in the tires?

Last edited:
Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Several years ago....I called Michelin and asked about several issues with the PR(2) tires...and in fact, they do have a carbon fiber filament running around the tire. This is a requirement when a tire is mostly silicone based material.

The "seam" has more to do with the fact that this tire is "layed" up using a butterfly method. This manufacturing method allows for a much quicker process. It didn't work out so well at first (seam was an issue as tire accumulated more miles)....but has improved dramaticly over the past several years.

Forest

Bike
ST1300
That MPR 2 has been the best tire on the front for me!! I now have over 13,000 mi on it and I still have about 1,000 left to go on it.

STOC #
i have run through 3 sets of the same (pr2) and all had the same "white" line running around the center of the tire. never had any problems with this tire, keep inflated to at least 40psi though

Putt

R.I.P. - 2009/05/29
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I went out and looked at the rear tire this morning and sure enough, there is a thin line in the center of the tire. Considering that I now have over 12K miles on it I'm not going to worry about it now! :D
Putting it up on the center stand and making "VRRRRROOOOM-VRRRRROOOOOOOM!" Noises does not qualify as putting miles on
it Scooter:D

Putt...

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Putting it up on the center stand and making "VRRRRROOOOM-VRRRRROOOOOOOM!" Noises does not qualify as putting miles on
it Scooter:D

Putt...
C'mon Putt, how many times do I have to tell you its WHHHHIIIIRL WHHHHIIIIRL... My wife keeps asking me what's that funny noise coming from the garage. :eek::

BTW, I still think that this is how you managed to surpass me in total mileage last year!! :p:

Top Bottom