Michelin PR3's (Pilot Road 3)

Bike
'02 ST1300
When I went from BT20F to PR3 it was night and day.... I am just worried the BT23GT is going to be a step down...
With the PR3 I am more confident in the wet and cornering is just natural

I am going to fire off an email to Michelin and see what they have to say on the matter....

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I just ordered a set of PR3's from the Keel Bros. after my trip to FLSTOC my front tire is toast. So I thought I would try the 3's I have had PR2's before as well as Avon's I need to get new rubber now as my front tire is not rideable at the moment.

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have 10,000 miles on my PR 3's. I think I can get another 2 to 3 thousand out of the rear. (the front looks great yet)
I really like these tires and WILL purchase them again !
I ride 90% of the time two up and use 42 psi front and rear.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have a new set in the basement waiting for install. I have had BT020's since getting the bike, (A good tire in my opinion) wanted to try the PR3's so bought a set, I hope the rear is easier to put on the rim than the BT020 is.

Greg

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I'm almost ready for another set of PR3's, great tire. Got over 10K on the rear and will need to change it in 1000-1500 miles. Feel like I'll get at least 13-14k out of the front. Uncle Phil helped me install the last set and it was not all that difficult.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I'm on my 4th set of PR3s. My practice in the past was to try something new every other tire change then revert to what I liked the best. Before trying the PR3s I had resolved that PR2s gave me the best all weather traction as well as tread life, and ran several sets of them while trying most of the other brands. Once I tried the PR3s . . . I stopped experimenting with other brands and just stick with what I have confidence in and feel safe on, not to mention getting good mileage which when averaged with cost makes this tire the least expensive. Win, win, win.

As to cupping, feathering, etc. Since installing a TPMS system to monitor pressure instead of frequent manual checks which unavoidably let air out to be replaced - no cupping or other tire degradation. I discovered this with the PR2s and remains true with all the PR3s I've run.

I suspect the main cause of cupping and uneven tire wear regardless of brand is primarily an inflation issued. However, I'm no expert in any way . . . I just like to ride. PR3s work for me.

Shuey

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I'm on my 4th set of PR3s. My practice in the past was to try something new every other tire change then revert to what I liked the best. Before trying the PR3s I had resolved that PR2s gave me the best all weather traction as well as tread life, and ran several sets of them while trying most of the other brands. Once I tried the PR3s . . . I stopped experimenting with other brands and just stick with what I have confidence in and feel safe on, not to mention getting good mileage which when averaged with cost makes this tire the least expensive. Win, win, win.

As to cupping, feathering, etc. Since installing a TPMS system to monitor pressure instead of frequent manual checks which unavoidably let air out to be replaced - no cupping or other tire degradation. I discovered this with the PR2s and remains true with all the PR3s I've run.

I suspect the main cause of cupping and uneven tire wear regardless of brand is primarily an inflation issued. However, I'm no expert in any way . . . I just like to ride. PR3s work for me.

Shuey
Yep what Shuey says is true.

Bike
Super Tenere
I was a big fan of the original Avon Storms but did not care for the Storm 2's. I went over to the PR2's and finally the PR3's. that is where I stopped testing. I have owned two ST1300's with a total of over 230k miles. The PR3's are by far the best tires I have used on my bike. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shuey
What pressures do you run? I know 42-42 seems pretty popular, but I couldn't ride it with my BT023 front that high. All my sport bike Michelins are 36F-42R, so I went with that and it's been great for near 6k miles.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have PR3's on now but I have yet to put a mile on them darn PMS. But after reading all your posts I am looking forward to trying them out, and hopefully that will be soon. The recent rains have cleaned the roads up pretty good. Now to find the time to try them out.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I think you're gonna like em Steve.

42 here, I can tell 36 just dry steering the bike backing it up. Not enough miles on my 1st pr3 on the front to see any uneven wear issues. They're fine in the rain mostly wet here when you're snow bound this winter.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
What pressures do you run? I know 42-42 seems pretty popular, but I couldn't ride it with my BT023 front that high. All my sport bike Michelins are 36F-42R, so I went with that and it's been great for near 6k miles.
Kevin,
I've played around with different pressure combinations and finally settled on . . . 42 / 42, as Honda recommends.

I was not able to discern any improvements in handling at other pressures (then again, I'm not a good enough rider to push them anywhere even close to any kind of a performance edge), mileage decreased at other settings and the wear was less even. More pressure and the center would wear out faster, less pressure resulted in cupping and uneven wear.

Shuey

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm running 45 in the front and 42 in the rear on my BT023 GT's in the winter months . Once they are both heated, they read 48 front and 48 rear. Not sure why you did not like 42 in the front Kevin.
Summer, it's 42 rear 42 front.
The Orange TPMS gives me accurate pressure readings and temperatures continuously.

Bike
ST1300
I've had a set of pr3's on since late summer. Ran one day in total down pour and they handled better than my pr2's . don't know exactly how many miles I have on them now, but I'm sure it's over 10,000. very happy with them and will ordering another set soon to start spring riding with new tire. Have to call Tim soon.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I just installed my first set of PR3's, have been an OEM Bridgestone BT020 man since I got the bike, the installation of the PR3's compared to the bridgestones is night and day. The rear PR3's are soooo much easier to get on the rim, the fronts are about the same. Have not scrubbed them in yet but after reading all the reviews I',m sure they will out perform my OEM's.

Greg

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Recently replaced my rear PR3 with 10K on it with another PR3 Ran 42 F and 42 R, checked tire pressure on a weekly basis, no cupping issues and very even wear across the tread. The front has over 11k miles on it now and is wearing very evenly, no cupping, etc. I think I'll get 15K out of it. We'll see, the last thousand miles of tread seem to by down fast. The PR3 are the best bang for the buck I have found so far and appear to be a very good tire.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Just got back from moonshine and 550 miles on my first PR3s and love them. I think this is going to be my tire of choice as long as the mileage holds out.

Top Bottom