Michelin PR4 Tires - 18" Front Not Available.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I don't know what all the rant is about owning Michelins, as I never had them on my ST1300.
Dennis Kirk has the Bridgestone T30 GT's for $218.88 a pair - the $40 rebate = $178.88 for a set.
I currently use the Bridgestone BT023 GT's and these are their replacements.
Here is the rebate site.

http://www.bridgestonemotorcycletires.com/promo.html

Here are the Bridgestone tire sites

https://www.denniskirk.com/bridgestone/rear-t30-gt-battlax-170-60zr-17-blackwall-tire.p544439.prd/544439.sku

https://www.denniskirk.com/bridgestone/front-t30-gt-battlax-120-70zr-18-blackwall-tire.p544434.prd/544434.sku
Add another $10 for tire surcharge. $5 per tire.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I don't know what all the rant is about owning Michelins, as I never had them on my ST1300.

Al,
Tires, like oil, seem to be a very personal choice. Many of us, who like Michelins, do so because we have used others and have done some comparing. Perhaps you should try some and maybe then you would understand why there is some angst regarding supply. Myself....I have used Bridgestones, Pirellis, and Michelins. Of those 3, I like the way the Michelins (PR2, 3, &4) handle and the mileage I get. I am on my first set of PR4's. I am now 20% past where I normally have to replace tires, and there is still some to go (regardless of brand, I seldom get more than 10k out of a rear. I now have 12k on a PR4). Handling has not deteriorated significantly, so it appears, at least in MY hands, that the claims of Michelin are true. I go through at least 3 sets of tires a year. If the PR4's cut that down to 2, then I am ahead of the game a little. Plus I ride I tire that I like.
Of course, as with virtually anything regarding personal choices, YMMV.

Rod

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a local rider that I ride with that has the PR 3's on his ST1300.
I'll swap bikes and see if I feel a difference. With all of those sipes on the PR3 and PR 4's, I'm sure it going to be night and day.

Does anyone notice the difference from PR3 and PR 4's

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Does anyone notice the difference from PR3 and PR 4's
I have noted 3 things (so far)
1. increased mileage
2. 4's are quieter than the 3's. The 3's had quite a hum to them (esp. the front) when it got about half wore out.
3. the 4 has not "squared off" as soon as the 3's but this could be due to different roads being ridden, different weight being carried, etc.

As for handling, I am not skilled enough to determine if there is any significant difference. Both have great grip in the rain and both break away gradually when they start to slide. Tip in is about the same (caveat.....when both are relatively new. The 4 retains its "crispness" longer). Holding the line is about the same and changing line mid corner is about the same.

To really compare the 2 (or any tire for that matter) you would need to ride the same bike, the same road, same ambient temp, same level of wear, etc, etc, etc.

I have found that any tire, when new, feels great compared to what just came off the bike. I think that handling deteriorates gradually with wear so we just become used to the changes (as compared to new). Put new tires on and the change is instant and very noticeable.

Rod

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
If that's the thinking, why are we not all riding NC750X's?

Save a lot of fuel.....

Ducks back below parapet.....;)

Last edited:
STOC #
I can't rationalize cheap tires for any cost savings. I've had my share of cheap tires that broke loose at shallow lean angles and the slightest amount of moisture on the roads, no thanks.

v8-7

Site Supporter
hi John,

I ordered one today from revzilla ..

Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires
Wheel Location: Front / Tire Size: 120/70ZR18 59W

Available: Expect 2-4 business days processing time prior to shipment
Tires are oversize items and can only be shipped to the continental 48 US States via standard ground shipping.

1 $145.82

Bike
2004 ST1300
My pr4 front was back ordered for two months when I ordered it back at the end of this past February. Ironically once I got the tire, I inspected the dot number. The tire was made in October of last year! Must be a supply chain issue too. Who knows...

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
[QUOTE;1792540]I have almost finished my second set this year of PR4's and pre-ordered a set a few months ago, which should be in. The first rear only did 9000 cause i am stupid ( bad gauge ) the replacement rear has now almost 10,000 on and since this last trip was 4500 miles mostly slab, is a bit squared off. The front has only 5000 on as they got out of phase and was used at low pressures for the recent track day. This is now quite noisy, but considering on the track the edge seam was worn; zero strip, I guess I am paying the price now.

As for the performance I have been very pleased, on track were really great, and today after riding up from TN for 500 miles in constant rain, I was extremely happy for its wet weather characteristics.

So when this rear wears out I will change both. Running 42 and 42.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be an expert on PR4's. Take a look at Tim's tire and tell us how many more miles are left on this tire. Thank you for your time.

tire.jpg

OP
OP
JohnConner

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
It looks like the ship arrived. Several places now have the PR4 GT 18" front tire. I just ordered one from RevZilla.

JohnConner
:rd13:
:usflag1:

Top Bottom