Michelin Pr4

Bike
2000 ST1100
That is different. I usually burn up the left side. I figured it was from left turns at 4 way stops and roundabouts putting more stress on the left.
I just changed out my PR-4 GT at 15K miles.

Have you been doing track days on a clockwise track?

Jim

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I'd like to hear more about how you wore out a front tire in (about) 9,000 miles. I just replace a rear PR4 at about 12,000 miles. My front tires last a lot longer than that.

OP
OP
tnman
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I only got about 5,000 out of the rear. I get the same out of a battleax. I ride daily in city traffic about 9 miles to work. This tire started with a trip to the Blue Ridge last summer with tail of the dragon and a bunch of others. The Pr4 is pretty quiet and comfortable but for the extra money I think I will just stick to Bridgestone. Trying a Metzler ME880 for an 8,200 mile trip to Hyder in June I will have a mileage report on it after the trip, hope it makes the whole trip!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Wow, looking at that picture (post #1), for sure, something's not right with that bike.

I've used Michelin PR4GT tires on my ST 1300 since I got it - I get about 20,000 km (12,500 miles) out of a front, and about 12,000 km (7,500 miles) out of a rear. I've never noticed any significant difference in wear between the two side of either tire when it comes time for a tire change. The same goes for my ST 1100, although I don't use Michelins on it (not available in the right size). I've got over 200,000 km (125,000 miles) on the ST 1100.

I ride my 1300 all over North America, typically on two-lane highways (therefore crowned roads), and I ride as fast as I can without attracting undue attention. In Europe, where I keep my 1100, I do a lot of long-distance riding, typically at about 140 km/h (85 MPH). I've never noted uneven wear on the ST 1100 tires.

The first thought that comes to mind is maybe you might have a misalignment in the frame of the motorcycle. Has it ever been in an accident? Has the engine ever been removed (the engine on the 1300 is effectively part of the frame)? My next thought is that you have a bent fork, or a badly sticking fork, or a wheel bearing problem up front.

I can't imagine that a difference in wear such as what your photo shows is solely due to the crown in the road or lots of left turns.

Earlier today, I made a post that provides detailed instructions for overhauling the front forks. I think that before you buy another tire (expensive), it might be worth your while to do a fork overhaul, and pay very close attention to the condition of the fork tubes and the general symmetry of the front end of the motorcycle. Inspect the bushings within the fork carefully - if you find grossly uneven wear between the two sides, that puts the blame on a front fork problem. Here's a link to the fork overhaul post: ST 1300 Front Fork Overhaul: An Illustrated Bibliography

Michael

OP
OP
tnman
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Rear did the same thing so I blame it on crown of the road. I purchased bike with 1800 MI and it's in mint condition. Never wrecked or damaged.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Rear did the same thing so I blame it on crown of the road. I purchased bike with 1800 MI and it's in mint condition. Never wrecked or damaged.

I've only been to the DFW area once to visit a friend about 25 years ago. I did not notice the roads having unusual crowns in the suburban area where he lived. Are the roads you ride steeply crowned?

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sounds like your roads are made out of different stones than ours are made out of.
My Bridgestone T30 GT rear is coming up for a change out and I'm seeing 13,500 miles on the rear and the front T30 GT normally gets 19,000 miles out of it. I bring them right down to the wear bars or slightly lower.
Was hoping to get 1 front tire to 2 rear tire change-outs, but not quite there yet.
One on the reasons I stick with Bridgestones is the grip and wear factor.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I think I will just stick to Bridgestone.
I have not been happy with the Bridgestone wet traction. I'm sticking (no pun intended) with the PR4's as long as we can still get them.
I have never seen front tire wear like you are having at such low mileage. Must be a lot of chip seal in your area?

Bike
2003 ST1300
When I first got my st, it had 40k miles on it and the front tire looked worse than the picture above. Left side was almost concave, weirdest profile I've ever seen. I thought maybe it was the crown of the roads too, but Minnesota roads are all fairly similar from where I bought the bike to where I ride now. Changed the tires, didn't touch the suspension. Now 50k miles later have never had that issue reappear. I have no idea what the po did to that tire but it wasn't the bike. weird.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
It's normal to wear the offside part of the tire more than near side, we ride more aggressively through corners to the offside because the vanishing point is always further away for the same radius turn

Bike
2003 ST1300
It's normal to wear the offside part of the tire more than near side, we ride more aggressively through corners to the offside because the vanishing point is always further away for the same radius turn
That is totally rider dependant. I'll ride right handers much more aggressively than lefters. And besides, in Minnesota there just ain't enough corners to scrub a tire that badly! :(

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
That is totally rider dependant. I'll ride right handers much more aggressively than lefters. And besides, in Minnesota there just ain't enough corners to scrub a tire that badly! :(
Interstate off/on ramps? :)

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I changed my last set of PR4GTs at 12,000; the front was still "good," but I like to change them in pairs. (Nothing like a fresh set of tires...) I've never had the amount of asymmetric wear that you're showing. I do think that the blacktop in Texas is more abrasive that what we have in Kansas. I seem to recall that some of the Texans aren't getting as much mileage as I do. (Or maybe it's running fast on those toll roads and I-10...)

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Trail braking into turns will chew up tyres on the shoulders like that. I do that to the right side of my tyres more than the left (bear in mind we drive on the left side here) as I'm more confident on lefts and tend to just crank 'er in, where on the right I often brake towards an apex. I think it is all psychological in that on a left, I have the oncoming lane on the outside, whereas on the right it is just the weeds and trees.

I'm lucky to see 10,000km out of say a BT020 rear and have killed a T30 Evo rear in 3500km, but I don't do straight roads, and our road builders just love chip seal.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Are there Tread Wear Indicators on the rear PR4 GT? I can’t find anything obvious.

I have 6700 miles on this set. I’m trying to figure out if I need a new rear tire before an upcoming 2000 mile trip from Michigan to the Ozarks and back.

JT

Top Bottom