Michelin Pr4

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Are there Tread Wear Indicators on the rear PR4 GT? I can’t find anything obvious.
I don't use the brand of tire, but on the sidewalls, you should find a small triangle or "twi" tread wear indicator
Then look inside the sipes at these locations for a raise indicator.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Are there Tread Wear Indicators on the rear PR4 GT? I can’t find anything obvious.

I have 6700 miles on this set. I’m trying to figure out if I need a new rear tire before an upcoming 2000 mile trip from Michigan to the Ozarks and back.

JT
Look at the extreme edge of the thread along the circumference of the tire for little Michelin men. They mark the location of molded in bars ( tread wear indicators) across the tire just even with the little guys. The TWI bars are found in the sipes and when flush with the tread surface the tire should be replaced.

I think I can just make out one towards the bottom right edge. It corresponds with a TWI in the thread sipe.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
I don't use the brand of tire, but on the sidewalls, you should find a small triangle or "twi" tread wear indicator
Then look inside the sipes at these locations for a raise indicator.
I didn’t see any triangles on this tire ( I have them on my other bike).

I’m thinking that the little circles in the tread and the thin line down the middle are the TWI. I don’t see anything else that it could be.

JT

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400

I have 6700 miles on this set. I’m trying to figure out if I need a new rear tire before an upcoming 2000 mile trip from Michigan to the Ozarks and back.

JT
Get a new rear tire. It's time.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #

JT
Just took this off my bike @ 7800 miles. Wear bars very visible once you get to them

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Look at the extreme edge of the thread along the circumference of the tire for little Michelin men. They mark the location of molded in bars ( tread wear indicators) across the tire just even with the little guys. The TWI bars are found in the sipes and when flush with the tread surface the tire should be replaced.

I think I can just make out one towards the bottom right edge. It corresponds with a TWI in the thread sipe.
Ok. I was looking for the typical triangles.
I’ll check tomorrow in the light for the little guys.

Thanks!

JT

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bridgestones use triangles, Michelin uses Bibedum, Metzeler uses elephants, etc.,.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
With the tire removed it is easy to see the little M- Man and then an arrow. At the point of the arrow is where the wear bars are located in the tread.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
I expected more miles out of this tire. Bummer.

I got 9700 out of the stock Bridgestone.

JT

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If you look closely around the outer edge of the tread where it meets the sidewall every so often you will see a stylized arrow. This arrow indicates the correct direction of rotation when installed. Where you see these arrows is where the tread wear indicators are.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I expected more miles out of this tire. Bummer.

I got 9700 out of the stock Bridgestone.

JT
9700 miles from the Bridgestone is a decent mileage.
Don't drink the Kool Aid. By another B'stone.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Get a new rear tire. It's time.
No, sincerely, it's not time yet to replace that tire. I get about 9 or 10 thousand miles out of a PR4GT rear tire. To me, that one (at the bottom of page 1) still has 2,000 miles left in it. No more than 2,000 miles, perhaps... the TWIs will be flush with the tire in about 2,000 miles.

If I was going to go ride the passes in the Swiss Alps for the next 2,000 miles, dragging pegs at every corner and making 180° switchback turns all the time, I might reconsider and replace it because it has a flat spot in the middle, but considering the nature of the trip the OP has planned mostly highway - there is no need to replace it now.

Michael

EDIT: On second thought, if I was going to ride the Swiss alpine passes for the next 2,000 miles, I would not replace it, because I would never use the middle part of the tire, and the extreme edges of the tire have lots of rubber left. :)

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
No, sincerely, it's not time yet to replace that tire. I get about 9 or 10 thousand miles out of a PR4GT rear tire. To me, that one (at the bottom of page 1) still has 2,000 miles left in it. No more than 2,000 miles, perhaps... the TWIs will be flush with the tire in about 2,000 miles.

If I was going to go ride the passes in the Swiss Alps for the next 2,000 miles, I might reconsider and replace it because it has a flat spot in the middle, but considering the nature of the trip the OP has planned - no need to replace it now.

Michael
Well, to each their own.
I would not trust that tire on a 2000 mile trip. If you would, that's fine.
But for me, I'd change it out.
There is no high a price for peace of mind.
YMMV

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
There is no high a price for peace of mind.
I think we do agree on one thing, and that is that it is not appropriate to continue to use a tire once the wear bars are flush with the tire surface.

But, honest to goodness, I think that tire has lots of miles in it before the wear bars become flush.

We have to stop and get off the moto about once every 250 miles to add fuel - it's easy enough to monitor the tire condition once every 250 miles. If worse comes to worst, there are lots of moto shops in the USA where he can get a new tire enroute... it's not like he's going to get stuck in the Sahara Desert with the cord showing (like someone I know very well did a few months ago... :) )

Michael

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I think we do agree on one thing, and that is that it is not appropriate to continue to use a tire once the wear bars are flush with the tire surface.

But, honest to goodness, I think that tire has lots of miles in it before the wear bars become flush.

We have to stop and get off the moto about once every 250 miles to add fuel - it's easy enough to monitor the tire condition once every 250 miles. If worse comes to worst, there are lots of moto shops in the USA where he can get a new tire enroute... it's not like he's going to get stuck in the Sahara Desert (like someone I know very well did a few months ago... :) )

Michael
I hate to belabor the point. But, assuming you check that tire every 250 miles and at 1000 miles you see that it needs replacement immediately, and you're out in the middle of nowhere, then what?
We simply don't agree on this subject. Let the OP make the decision.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #

JT
A wear bar will be obvious, and not in the center of the tread. It looks like I see one in the long groove on the bottom right in the pic, right where the curved part of the groove straightens out.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Do you guys see any handling issues with putting a new Bridgestone T31 on the rear with a used PR4 on front? I have plenty of tread left on the front. It seems like a waste to toss a half-used tire if it will behave.

JT

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Do you guys see any handling issues with putting a new Bridgestone T31 on the rear with a used PR4 on front? I have plenty of tread left on the front. It seems like a waste to toss a half-used tire if it will behave.

JT
Whereas there are many riders who change out their tires in sets, I often change out the rear tire and keep the front tire on.
Therefore, I do not see any handling issues with keeping the used tire on the front.
YMMV
Tire threads are somewhat akin to oil threads: everybody has strong opinions on characteristics, longevity, and certainly tire brand.
It's most important that you feel comfortable on your tires.

Top Bottom