Michelin Pr4

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Bridgestone has a $60 rebate for a pair through end of April. I decided to replace the pair and try the T31 tires.

JT

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I think we do agree on one thing, and that is that it is not appropriate to continue to use a tire once the wear bars are flush with the tire surface.

But, honest to goodness, I think that tire has lots of miles in it before the wear bars become flush.

We have to stop and get off the moto about once every 250 miles to add fuel - it's easy enough to monitor the tire condition once every 250 miles. If worse comes to worst, there are lots of moto shops in the USA where he can get a new tire enroute... it's not like he's going to get stuck in the Sahara Desert with the cord showing (like someone I know very well did a few months ago... :) )

Michael
Have you priced tires on the road? Let alone getting in to get it changed out. I will gladly change a tire out early for the peace of mind I am good for the whole trip.

JT105

Let's Ride!
Bike
12 ST1300, 15 NC700X
Have you priced tires on the road? Let alone getting in to get it changed out. I will gladly change a tire out early for the peace of mind I am good for the whole trip.
Price on the road isn’t the issue. You could hit a pothole and be in the same boat. The big concern for me is the risk of taking a day (or more) out of a limited vacation to find a shop and pray they have an acceptable tire. What a pain in the neck. I’d be messing with the tire while my buddies are enjoying the ride through the mountains and moving to the next campground. Then I’d have to haul to catch up. And, knowing my friends, at least one of them would feel obligated to hang back with me, giving up time on their vacation too.

My trip is in July. After looking at the tire this morning, I think it will be about toasted by then. I’ll put the new set of Bridgestone T31 GT tires on a few weeks before the trip. Why Bridgestone? They were on sale and had a rebate for a set. Why not try something different?

Maybe I can get my last few dollars out of the PR4 rear by doing burnouts and posting videos on YouTube! There’s a lot of meat on the sides of that tire to burn some circles in the parking lot!

JT

Wow, looking at that picture (post #1), for sure, something's not right with that bike.

I've used Michelin PR4GT tires on my ST 1300 since I got it - I get about 20,000 km (12,500 miles) out of a front, and about 12,000 km (7,500 miles) out of a rear. I've never noticed any significant difference in wear between the two side of either tire when it comes time for a tire change. The same goes for my ST 1100, although I don't use Michelins on it (not available in the right size). I've got over 200,000 km (125,000 miles) on the ST 1100.

I ride my 1300 all over North America, typically on two-lane highways (therefore crowned roads), and I ride as fast as I can without attracting undue attention. In Europe, where I keep my 1100, I do a lot of long-distance riding, typically at about 140 km/h (85 MPH). I've never noted uneven wear on the ST 1100 tires.

The first thought that comes to mind is maybe you might have a misalignment in the frame of the motorcycle. Has it ever been in an accident? Has the engine ever been removed (the engine on the 1300 is effectively part of the frame)? My next thought is that you have a bent fork, or a badly sticking fork, or a wheel bearing problem up front.

I can't imagine that a difference in wear such as what your photo shows is solely due to the crown in the road or lots of left turns.

Earlier today, I made a post that provides detailed instructions for overhauling the front forks. I think that before you buy another tire (expensive), it might be worth your while to do a fork overhaul, and pay very close attention to the condition of the fork tubes and the general symmetry of the front end of the motorcycle. Inspect the bushings within the fork carefully - if you find grossly uneven wear between the two sides, that puts the blame on a front fork problem. Here's a link to the fork overhaul post: ST 1300 Front Fork Overhaul: An Illustrated Bibliography

Michael
I think most riders have a left turning tendency. Ill crank any bike over to the left but turning right is something i have struggled with. I have to practice turning right to do it to the same standard as turning left. And by turning, i mean dragging peg in any gear. Some ride and some ride it like they stole it. All my tires are changed because of left side wear

I only got about 5,000 out of the rear. I get the same out of a battleax. I ride daily in city traffic about 9 miles to work. This tire started with a trip to the Blue Ridge last summer with tail of the dragon and a bunch of others. The Pr4 is pretty quiet and comfortable but for the extra money I think I will just stick to Bridgestone. Trying a Metzler ME880 for an 8,200 mile trip to Hyder in June I will have a mileage report on it after the trip, hope it makes the whole trip!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Interested in the 880 on an ST, on my VTX I get 14000 easy, fully loaded.

I feel lucky if I get 6,000 miles out of a rear PR4. Maybe a bit more than that out of a front. Both always wear more on the left side. The PR3 and PR2 tires did MUCH better. For winter riding I am lucky if I get 5,000 miles out of the tires. They are not designed for teens and single digits.

Bike
2012 ST1300
I have about 4K on front/rear PR4 with life left. Note I keep them at about 45 +3 over recommended pressure. I always had problems with Fronts cupping and rears wearing on left with previous ST1100 and Factory tires on my ST1300 and I found +3 on pressure helped. Could just be my gauge is off. I live in Austin so cold weather not much of issue. I do love the PR4 in wet weather, do not think I have ever run a tire that I had that much confidence in when the rain started.
Good Luck with your next tires.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
With a 2000 mile trip coming up I would change out that tire. Why spend the last couple of hundred miles with a poorly performing tire. Nothing makes a bike feel new like fresh rubber. Wouldn't you want that feeling for your whole trip?

Top Bottom