Michelin Road 5GT tires?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I stopped by the local Honda shop yesterday (BTW, they are practically giving away Goldwings) to pick up a new rear tire for the 2010 :bl13:. And what did I see...

PR5GT-s.jpg

I was surprised to see the 5GT on the rack!

And it was a whole $2 more than the 4GT.

One thing I am confused about though, They are calling it the "Road 5GT" what happened to the "Pilot Road 5GT" or is this the same?

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Same thing. On the new 5, they for some reason dropped the “Pilot” off from it.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
PRODUCT DETAILS
Product Description
Michelin Road 5 GT Tires
Specifically designed for heavier touring bikes and building upon the success of the Pilot Road 4, the 5th generation of the popular Road series drops the "Pilot" prefix and takes on more of an all-purpose approach to an all weather sport and sport touring tire. In wet conditions, we change the way we ride. Wisdom dictates less aggressive lean angles when traction is questionable due to slick roads. In dry conditions, well, we're out having fun. The design of the Michelin Road 5 Tires takes these complimentary riding styles into account. The section of the tire that sees the most use during day in, day out, even spirited riding is outfitted with deep, water-evacuating sipes. The edges of the tire, those that are only called into action during aggressive riding on dry pavement, are uninterrupted expanses of a softer tread compound.

The biggest selling point of the Road 5 is wet-weather longevity. Michelin essentially reinvented the wheel when they engineered the water evacuation siping of the Road 5 tires. These channels actually flare outward towards the center of the tire as opposed to grooves getting narrower as they get deeper. Water needs to be displaced as a tire rolls over it. As a typical tire wears, the negative space between the tread gets progressively smaller and smaller. When the P5 wears, it maintains a more consistent volume of negative space where water can disperse. This translates into more confident wet-weather cornering and emergency braking throughout the life of the tire.

Features:
Stiffer carcass to better support heavier touring and sport-touring bikes
Patented Michelin XST Evo siping design
Patented ACT+ casing technology
2CT dual compound front tire composition
2CT+ dual compound rear tire composition

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
But are the matching 18” 5 GT’s available as well or could you mix the 4GT front with the 5GT?
Would they be compatible with each other?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
- I didn't look for a 5GT for a front, 18"...I was just needing a rear tire. :shrug2:

- I don't remember if the Goldwings were 18s or 19s. But at $23K, down from $29K...:nuts:

- $50 too much, I used to buy my tires online and avoided having that "extra" charge of shipping and taxes. can't do that any longer! So now the prices are even higher! And for someone like me that can wear a tire out in four months, it sure puts a strain on the ole pocket book! :censored:

- And the "Road 5GT" vs just the "Road 5" (NOTE: Road 5 has been out for over a year. I talked to a Michelin Rep at last year's Motorcycle show in Long Beach. He didn't think a 5GT would be coming out anytime soon, or at all!) :(

Bike
2006 ST1300A
The R5 GT ads put a lot of focus on wet weather performance by channeling water away. But, what about driving in almost all year long dry weather, like here in SoCal?
Wondering if they will wear faster because of bigger channels and less rubber contact?

What are the differences / improvements between the Pilot Road 4 GTs and the new Road 5 GT?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The R5 GT ads put a lot of focus on wet weather performance by channeling water away. But, what about driving in almost all year long dry weather, like here in SoCal?
Wondering if they will wear faster because of bigger channels and less rubber contact?

What are the differences / improvements between the Pilot Road 4 GTs and the new Road 5 GT?

I guess I'll be the guinea pig! ;)

Let you know after I go through the first one!

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I guess I'll be the guinea pig! ;)

Let you know after I go through the first one!
Back to post #3, this is more like an all season tire, good in the rain, good in the dry.
Siping changes look like the primary change in the tire from the PR4GT.

Am definitely spending my coin on the Road 5 GTs. Need them ASAP and hoping to find some discount which Revzilla will match.
Found them for under $300 in UK....link wouldn't work for me, yet...will see

Funny how Michelin didn't seem to release them during the Sale event last month, $50 rebate for a set of tires.

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
20190930_134334.jpg20190928_101118.jpgPS, if you buy a tire that has rain capability, you can be sure after you mount them, it's gonna rain on you when you least expect it, even if you ride in the southwest....

That's exactly my story with the PR4GTs. Last month on the 5 northbound, soon as I passed Lake Castaic entering the grapevine, sure enough, started raining. Never rains in socal......

Got to also crack open the Frogg Toggs bag. Been carrying them around 3 years.

Just like the Michelins, worked great.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just like the Michelins, worked great.
Back in April 2006 was my first experience with the ST1300 in rain. That was 5 months after buying it.
Note: I had 50K miles on the '05 before I started this commute in November 2008!

Even with the OEM tires I was amazed how well the ST1300 did in the rain, on winding roads! Then I started using the Michelin PR series tires and saw an immediate improvement. Since I don't have the maintenance records on my '05, I can't tell you when I went to them, but with my commute,
I'll burn through a set of tires in 4 to 5 months.
Of course this depends on how much I ride the :bl13: (2010) VS the :bk13: (2012) ;)

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
:dr11:
Back in April 2006 was my first experience with the ST1300 in rain. That was 5 months after buying it. (Note: I had 50K miles on the '05 before I started this commute!)

Even with the OEM tires I was amazed how well the ST1300 did in the rain, on winding roads! Then I started using the Michelin PR series tires and saw an immediate improvement. Since I don't have the maintenance records on my '05, I can't tell you when I went to them, but with my commute,

I'll burn through a set of tires in 4 to 5 months. Of course this depends on how much I ride the :bl13: (2010) VS the :bk13: (2012) ;)
What's your commute distance/demographics?

09 :dr11:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
:dr11:
What's your commute distance/demographics?

09 :dr11:

Mild Desert to Coast! I'm in what is known as French Valley, @1,300 ft, about 300 ft above, in elevation of Temecula Valley. I work in Sorrento Mesa(Valley), which is probably at 400ft and only 4 miles from the ocean (by way the crow flys..;)

Top Bottom