Michelin Road 5GT tires?

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
That's a bit of
Mild Desert to Coast! I'm in what is known as French Valley, @1,300 ft, about 300 ft above, in elevation of Temecula Valley. I work in Sorrento Mesa(Valley), which is probably at 400ft and only 4 miles from the ocean (by way the crow flys..;)
That's a bit of a drive. :yr1: Sure beats the car with lane splitting capability.

Have flown in and out of French Valley Airport on occasion. Am near Torrance Airport.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's a bit of

That's a bit of a drive. :yr1: Sure beats the car with lane splitting capability.

Have flown in and out of French Valley Airport on occasion. Am near Torrance Airport.

Yep, it is, and Lane Splitting is the Only way to fly! :rofl1:

Back in the early 70's (Jan '71 to April '74) I was stationed @ LAAFB, called LA Air Force Station back then. I met my wife while there, she's from El Segundo. And after I got out of the service (August '80) we moved back to El Segundo. We also had two of our sons born in Torrance. So we know the area somewhat (since we moved away, back in 1985) My BIL still lives in El Segundo.

So if you are near the Torrance Airport, what is your commute?

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
[/QUOTE]
Am about half way between 29R touchdown zone and the Outer Marker for KTOA ILS 29R. That would be less than a mile from my front door to the airport. No wonder I can't sleep, damn middle marker must be very near....

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Am about half way between 29R touchdown zone and the Outer Marker for KTOA ILS 29R. That would be less than a mile from my front door to the airport. No wonder I can't sleep, damn middle marker must be very near....
[/QUOTE]

Obviously you need to find a longer route! :chairfall1:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Marker beacons? Do they still use those in the USA? The last Canadian marker beacons were decommissioned over 10 years ago. I think there is still one that is operational in Europe, it is in the Gotthard pass (a bone marker) and primarily used by VFR aircraft, to let them know they have passed the highest point in the pass.

Michael

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Road GT5 is for real, and available as of September 2019:

“Touring motorcycle fans, who own machines like the BMW R 1200 RT, BMW K 1600 GT, YAMAHA FJR 1300, HONDA PAN EUROPEAN 1300, KAWASAKI 1400 GTR, TRIUMPH TROPHY,… demand specific tyres that deliver safety, comfort, long life, stability and sheer riding enjoyment irrespective of the conditions*, and even when a high number of kilometres have passed under their tread.

Developed in exactly the same spirit and to the same rigorous standards as the MICHELIN Road 5, the GT version packs the technological advances that are a hallmark of the other tyres that make up the Road 5 range.

To address the exacting demands expressed by owners of this type of motorcycle, the MICHELIN Road 5 GT places the emphasis on performance, notably on wet roads, along with stability and efficient braking, especially in instances where riders are caught out by poor weather. Following in-house comparative tests, the new tyre came out on top in terms of grip and braking performance on wet roads**, even when as much as 50 percent worn***.”

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Marker beacons? Do they still use those in the USA? The last Canadian marker beacons were decommissioned over 10 years ago. I think there is still one that is operational in Europe, it is in the Gotthard pass (a bone marker) and primarily used by VFR aircraft, to let them know they have passed the highest point in the pass.

Michael

Hi all, need to decide pr4 or pr5 gt tyres? Come back from a ride & cleaned the red devil (bike) & on behold, there is me first screw in rear tyre.
I am riding on avon storm tyres & dont like them, i wonted to change to the michelins anyway, but which 1s?
Thanks for the advice. Love this site whooooohooooo.
Just spoke with me local tyre fitter & she said, Michelin are doing money back, on the 5s not the 4s for the fitting price (£30), starts 1st February.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
The bike shop i was at said when i asked him his opinion on the Road 4 a d 5 GTs that:
A. The GT version has a stiller sidewall for heaver bikes
B. Of all the tire brands and models he sells, the sips pattern on the Roads pick up nails more than any other tire he has seen. FWIW.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Best prices I've seen on the PR4GT is from Chaparral MS in San Bernardino, on eBay.

Rear - PR4GT 170/60ZR-17

Front PR4GT 120/70ZR-18

I bought a set for the 2010, then bought two more sets and they are sitting in my garage right now.

The PR5GTs went on my 2012 and I'm not totally impressed with them just yet. I'm thinking they might be a softer tire.

Best prices I've seen on the PR4GT is from Chaparral MS in San Bernardino, on eBay.

Rear - PR4GT 170/60ZR-17

Front PR4GT 120/70ZR-18

I bought a set for the 2010, then bought two more sets and they are sitting in my garage right now.

The PR5GTs went on my 2012 and I'm not totally impressed with them just yet. I'm thinking they might be a softer tire.
Hi, just been reading some of the post in a different section & some 1 as posted that the bolts av got to be put on & off with the correct torque? He thinks this will stop the wobbile mmmmm. Boss advice that, I must say hahaahha. So me tyre fitter will be getting the red devils manual placed in front of him so he nos the torque sequence hahahah. Safe rideing bro whooohoooo.

Rear - PR4GT 170/60ZR-17

Front PR4GT 120/70ZR-18

Dont no how to share his post with you, so I av coppied & pasted it. The post was from cyyj i think hahahhaa.
You are correct, there is a very specific (and very detailed) procedure that has to be followed when installing the front wheel of a ST 1300. The procedure is very well explained, step by step, on the attached "Assembly Instructions". This document refers to a 2008 ST, but I believe that the process is the same for all ST 1300 motorcycles from 2002 to present.

See page numbers 7 to 9 inclusive of the attached document (pages 10 to 12 if you refer to the Adobe PDF page numbering system). Note carefully that you will tighten the left pinch bolts once, and then have to loosen them and tighten them again, a second time, after doing a few things in between the two left bolt tightening procedures.

What effect it has on wobble or weave I do not know, but front wheel tracking will be degraded if the procedure is not followed exactly.

Michael

Attachments

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
The bike shop i was at said when i asked him his opinion on the Road 4 a d 5 GTs that:
A. The GT version has a stiller sidewall for heaver bikes
B. Of all the tire brands and models he sells, the sips pattern on the Roads pick up nails more than any other tire he has seen. FWIW.
That's why I quit riding in the bicycle lane and hugging the shoulders. Every week, all over the peninsula, armstrongs of world, out there in the spandex, changing their sew ups as the ST flies by on its Michelin siping, getting better tire mileage and handling. No flats.

Due to CRAFT disease, flat tire change, naw, can't use em. Cant remember a flat tire. Set the world on fire...

Personally, the PR4GT siping makes the tire what it is, IMHO, a better tire than the 5GT. One set on the 01, one set on the 09.

Price would be a factor....both good Michelin tires.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Dont no how to share his post with you, so I av coppied & pasted it. The post was from cyyj i think hahahhaa.
You are correct, there is a very specific (and very detailed) procedure that has to be followed when installing the front wheel of a ST 1300. The procedure is very well explained, step by step, on the attached "Assembly Instructions". This document refers to a 2008 ST, but I believe that the process is the same for all ST 1300 motorcycles from 2002 to present.

See page numbers 7 to 9 inclusive of the attached document (pages 10 to 12 if you refer to the Adobe PDF page numbering system). Note carefully that you will tighten the left pinch bolts once, and then have to loosen them and tighten them again, a second time, after doing a few things in between the two left bolt tightening procedures.

What effect it has on wobble or weave I do not know, but front wheel tracking will be degraded if the procedure is not followed exactly.

Michael

Attachments
also here lol

Hi all, need to decide pr4 or pr5 gt tyres? Come back from a ride & cleaned the red devil (bike) & on behold, there is me first screw in rear tyre.
I am riding on avon storm tyres & dont like them, i wonted to change to the michelins anyway, but which 1s?
Thanks for the advice. Love this site whooooohooooo.
Just spoke with me local tyre fitter & she said, Michelin are doing money back, on the 5s not the 4s for the fitting price (£30), starts 1st February.
Hi all, took the screw out today & lucky for me it was only a small 1 whoooohoooo. So no punture wow. It was a bleesing indeskys, because now I have a punture repair kit at last hahahaha. Thank you all. Happy riding.

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
Need some new rubber after my Close Call yesterday.. So after a full season on the market, what's the verdict on the PR5's ? Stay with 4's or go for 5's ?
The "agony of choice" as they say in Germany (Qual der Wahl).

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good question! When I was riding the 2010 with PR4GTs, then get on the 2012 with PR5GTs, I found that the PR5GTs, they felt like they were low on air.

Because of this Covid 19 thing, my commutes on the bike stopped, like BOOM, no more commuting! Except from my bedroom to my office! So I haven't really put on too many miles on either bike since.

Since our move, the 2010 is sitting at my sons, and he's putting a few miles on it here and there. I have the 2012 here at the apartment, but I've put on less than 900 miles on both since March 12th!

Now that I'm only riding the 2012 for the last couple of months, I'm not noticing the tire differences.

I would go with price. If they are close in price, go with the PR5GTs. If the PR4GTs are much cheaper, go with them. I don't think handling and longevity are that much different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom