Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas

TPadden

Tom Padden
I sure miss Texas. I'd be all over this if I still lived there.
How can you miss it? Just ride to Louisiana and ride west, Oklahome ride south, New Mexico ride east, or Mexico and ride north. Lets see, a 9 month self guided tour of Texas for $30; Texas isn't THAT hard to visit and find places to ride. :rofl1:

Wonder if Cranfills Gap and the Horny Toad Bar and Grill is a bona fied stop? ;)

Tom

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
This sounds like a fun concept. It is simply a good motivator to get out and ride while having a route already mapped out for you that most likely hits all of the best roads/areas throughout Texas. Instantly gave me the thought of heading south to do this before the riding starts up here so as to get a jump on the season.

Immediately before seeing this I was talking with a friend who was a racer. He also raced side-cars. Because of that conversation, when I read the rules of participation I became curious about the eligibility of side-cars.

Among other things the rules state;
"The tour is open to all brands of motorcycles (two wheeled and three wheeled), as long as the vehicle does not have a steering wheel and/or is not designed for an operator and passenger to sit side-by-side. The tour is not open to cars and autocycles."

Vehicles like the slingshot and T-Rex are already excluded by the steering wheel and auto-cycle restrictions. The restriction in bold-face would seem to leave side-cars out but I can't imagine that they would exclude side-cars. What type of vehicle other then a side-car would this be directed at?

TPadden

Tom Padden
I didn't mean that I miss it geographically, I meant that I miss it emotionally. ;)
I understood that and sarcastically meant how can you possibly miss it emotionally when it's so EASY to find geographically? :rolleyes:

Texas may seem like a whole n'other country but no passport is required for entry; and even from Florida it's little more than a day ride away.

Tom

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I have a wife and children and live in South Carolina. Getting away long enough to spend meaningful time in Texas is something that's a bit out of my reach at this time. Maybe some day...

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
When I was still a young bachelor living outside of Austin, my friends presented me with an Honorary Texan Certificate. As it was explained to me, I had to be approved and signed-off by two Texans of native birth. They then took me out to Whataburger for dinner and told me that I would have to surrender my car keys and be issued a Ford F-150. Good times. ;)

I wish I could find that certificate. Only lived there for a short time in life, but it was one of the highlights of my youth.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Only lived there for a short time in life, but it was one of the highlights of my youth.
I did my senior year and graduated from the sole goat roping high school in Austin. The main qualification for a goat roping classification in Texas is the FFA section in the yearbook has to be bigger than the sports section.

Sidney Lanier was a famous southern musician, poet and author, who proved too controversial in modern times due to being a private in the Confederate States Army, although he also was professor of literature at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. The Austin Independent School District Trustees voted on March 24, 2019, to rename the school Juan Navarro High School.

Tom

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I have a wife and children and live in South Carolina. Getting away long enough to spend meaningful time in Texas is something that's a bit out of my reach at this time. Maybe some day...
Shame. Some of us in Texas ride out to the Carolinas almost every year...

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Forgive the European interjection... but isn't that why you guys have RVs? Hire a big enough one to fit the bike to the back & call it a family holiday. :D

Bike
2010 ST-1300
When I was still a young bachelor living outside of Austin, my friends presented me with an Honorary Texan Certificate. As it was explained to me, I had to be approved and signed-off by two Texans of native birth. They then took me out to Whataburger for dinner and told me that I would have to surrender my car keys and be issued a Ford F-150. Good times. ;)

I wish I could find that certificate. Only lived there for a short time in life, but it was one of the highlights of my youth.
My son in law proposed to my daughter in Whataburger :confused: Guess it's a Texas thing?

Top Bottom